Home installing roof A/C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Home installing roof A/C

I didn't include air with my build options. Thought I could save a couple hundred bucks doing it myself, when I was ready. We know the Escape roof is made ac ready.

Another thing was, don't like seeing a big box on my roof. I have read complaints about the factory supplied units being too noisy for sleeping. Of course, you also can't dry camp off battery power.

I'm liking the Coleman Polar Cub low profile model. Now feeling close to ready.

They claim low power consumption, cooling at 11.1amps. Their exterior shroud is 10.63 inches high. I see some dealers sell it with the interior ceiling assembly included, and some mention that's a separate purchase. The prices will vary accordingly, shipping costs are also a very big bite. Buyers must beware.

As a potential buyer it surprises me to see purchase costs much higher than expected. Could I have outsmarted myself? Regardless, the Coleman Polar Cub 9200 BTU is looking good right now. Does anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
Old 05-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My only suggestion is to be careful which model 9200 Polar Cub you purchase. The original or older version is no longer made, and I believe it has been replaced with the Coleman-Mach 8 Cub.

There were many complaints when Casita switched over to it with noise, mostly outside - it sounded like a jet engine & was louder than a non inverter generator. The manufacturer switched to a different fan, and sells the replacement for the loud versions for around $30.00. I'd want to make sure that the one I purchased had the new, quieter fan, and even then, I'd want to listen to one to be sure it was quiet enough for me...
Old 05-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Check the Casita forum - join if you are not currently a member: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/topic/15327-mach-8-ac-discussion/

I was going to get the Mach 8 until I read this thread last fall. The fix may not be all that quiet.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had the polar cub in 2 of my trailers, one being an Escape. The upside is the the ability to operate off a 2000 watt generator, otherwise there is not much differences between it and other units, other than price. It can be ordered with a heat strip, but you will need hookups. The Dometic 11,000 ETI installs with the digital thermostat that controls both the furnace and a/c which is a nice feature, something else to consider as that can not be done with the polar cub.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have had the polar cub in 2 of my trailers, one being an Escape. The upside is the the ability to operate off a 2000 watt generator, otherwise there is not much differences between it and other units, other than price. It can be ordered with a heat strip, but you will need hookups. The Dometic 11,500 ETI installs with the digital thermostat that controls both the furnace and a/c which is a nice feature, something else to consider as that can not be done with the polar cub.
Also something I learned recently. Getting the digital thermostat is the ONLY way to have the AC turn off not only the compressor but the fan. The manual units only cycle the compressor but leave the fan running all of the time which contributes to the noise. Of many of the options to choose from at ordering time, I wish we had a system that would cycle the fan as well as the compressor.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Myron,
I have the polar cub 9200 in my trailer it is the older model which escape installed during the build last year. Definitely read the suggested posts on the casita forum about the newer Mach 8 before buying one. Casita has used the coleman polar cub 9200 for years, however the newer Mach 8 has received many noise complaints. Coleman has redesigned the fan to help quiet it down. Some folks think it is ok now others don't.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

I see Escape currently sells the Dometic 11,000 BTU as an (installed complete, I presume) $875 option.

This is, I guess, the same (low profile (under 10") Dometic Penguin II sold online at Camping World, "configured," for $747.49 + $78 shipping or... on sale (un-configured??) From $846.99 plus freight starting at $88. () Ya. ?! Well, price-shmice.

No mention at Camping World if configured means including what's needed inside the trailer. Dave, dare one assume it does? Tech, that advice on what the control switches control and not, has resonated. Thanks.

My interest in Coleman Cub Mach-anything has cooled off. But fellas, seriously, if you have this Dometic Penguin II model I would love to hear how it's working for you, noise-wise, et-cetera. Like Uncle Phil always told me, pick the sharpest knives in the drawer whenever doing brain surgery.

.......OK, I heard that. I'll call them.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You also need to consider the exchange rate when comparing the numbers.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #9

The digital thermostat set up is really nice, not only for the a/c, but the heat is more even, no hot and cold swings from the old fashion metal spring thermostat.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The digital thermostat set up is really nice, not only for the a/c, but the heat is more even, no hot and cold swings from the old fashion metal spring thermostat.
Wouldn't wiring need to be run from the AC to the thermostat?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #11

It may already be there, not sure what "a/c ready" means, other than the additional roof bracing and electrical? Something ETI may be the best source. But for others thinking about a later a/c install, if the wiring is not there, that maybe something to consider.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 15B
We're returning to the factory on June 4 for install of ETI factory air. We had our 15B prewired for the AC. I asked Tammy if a digital thermostat could now be installed and her reply was No, it needed to be prewired during the build also. Didn't know that of course. She did say that the AC unit has its I own thermostat.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
We're returning to the factory on June 4 for install of ETI factory air. We had our 15B prewired for the AC. I asked Tammy if a digital thermostat could now be installed and her reply was No, it needed to be prewired during the build also. Didn't know that of course. She did say that the AC unit has its I own thermostat.
Yes, there is a thermostat built into the AC, but to control it from a wall mounted thermostat like the heater, it needs EXTRA wiring. I, too, would have had that wiring done had I known. Hopefully, others will benefit from what we have found out. I sure would like that fan to stop when the compressor stops.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape

How to install Coleman Mach 8. It looks sooo simple.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape
Sorry about that last post. Copy/paste of url link goofed. There is a utube on installing the coleman a/c, which is good intro to the project. Google installing AC in RV.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #16

If that vent hole where the a/c goes is not pre-wired and ready for me to do an installation I'm going to be one ticked off camper. Was not going to remove the bezel until I bought a unit. Now maybe I should check. Thought I made my intentions clear to Escape and was assured they build them ac ready, regardless. I have no reason to expect this refers only to the support bracing.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If that vent hole where the a/c goes is not pre-wired and ready for me to do an installation I'm going to be one ticked off camper. Was not going to remove the bezel until I bought a unit. Now maybe I should check. Thought I made my intentions clear to Escape and was assured they build them ac ready, regardless. I have no reason to expect this refers only to the support bracing.
When we bought our 15 in 2013 we were told AC ready was a COST option and included the basic wiring and roof support but NOT the digital thermostat wiring. At least in that year I do not believe all trailers were made AC ready unless the option was purchased. So the question would be do you see AC ready on your build list. I could be wrong on ALL trailers being made AC ready but that is what I recall at the time. Maybe Jim and Robin could weigh in on this since they got AC ready and are having one installed on June 4. AC ready is still listed as a $250 option on ETI website.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #18

This business is beginning to steam me. I do not understand why "digital" wiring would be different than standard (?) wiring. Wire is wire, no? Also thinking well, if additional wiring is required why shouldn't I be able to snake them through to the analog thermostat without too much hassle?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #19

The a/c standard wiring pkg would not include a wire for the thermostat as the a/c unit comes with a built in thermostat. If you want to use a digital thermostat to control it then an additional wire would be required plus a digital thermostat to run it. You need to see if you have the necessary basic 110 wiring run to operate the a/c.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This business is beginning to steam me. I do not understand why "digital" wiring would be different than standard (?) wiring. Wire is wire, no? Also thinking well, if additional wiring is required why shouldn't I be able to snake them through to the analog thermostat without too much hassle?
Because your thermostat only controls your furnace, there is no wire running to the roof a/c!