honda 2200i/2200i companion pairing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
honda 2200i/2200i companion pairing

Has anyone paired a Honda 2200i with a 2200i companion generator to run the AC. The 2200i alone will not do it on my 21. Pairing it with a 2200i companion which has a 30 amp plug should easily do it I would think.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
That’s strange I have the Honda 2200 and it runs the A/C unit on my 2015 5.0TA trailer fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3684.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	40768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	40769
Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
My new 2200i does it just fine on gasoline or propane. I'm at 130 ft. above sea level, though. Ask me after the next trip to the Eastern Sierras. I'm going to try it on propane at about 9000 ft. I'll try to report back.

What's your elevation. It may be a factor, if you're several thousand feet up.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
My 2200i also runs the A/C without an issue. If you do buy the companion version and connect the two you should have far more than needed to run your A/C.

If you have an electric hot water heater, make sure it is off as a single 2200i cannot run that and the A/C at the same time.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #5

I know the 2200i works for some people but on my 2016, 21 it is a no go. I get low voltage error code and my 2200i is new. Nothing else is the trailer is turned on.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
What’s the state of charge of your battery? If it’s low your WFCO may be sucking up an unusually high number of amps trying to charge the battery, not leaving enough for the AC.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I have a Yamaha 2800. I had run a similar sized AC unit on a Lance truck camper with this generator. On our return trip from Chilliwack I tried running the Escape AC with the generator and the AC would not start. I then attached a ground wire to the generator ground pole and a 6 inch spike in the ground with the other end of the wire attached. AC then started with no problems and operated for the next four days in the "ECON" mode. We even used the microwave and the AC at the same time. If you haven't grounded the generator, I would try that before I bought a second generator. Good luck
Old 08-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I have a Yamaha 2800. I had run a similar sized AC unit on a Lance truck camper with this generator. On our return trip from Chilliwack I tried running the Escape AC with the generator and the AC would not start. I then attached a ground wire to the generator ground pole and a 6 inch spike in the ground with the other end of the wire attached. AC then started with no problems and operated for the next four days in the "ECON" mode. We even used the microwave and the AC at the same time. If you haven't grounded the generator, I would try that before I bought a second generator. Good luck

Or use a neutral-bonding plug. Or turn off EMS if so equipped.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
I know the 2200i works for some people but on my 2016, 21 it is a no go. I get low voltage error code and my 2200i is new. Nothing else is the trailer is turned on.
Something doesn’t seem right. Can you run the A/C from shore power and take note of the amp draw on the EMS? Maybe something is wrong with the A/C that is causing a higher than normal inrush current on startup. Assuming you are home you are at just over 300’ ASL. A Honda 2200i should normally be able to run an 11,000 BTU A/C.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
My 2000i run the ac very easily.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
propane in these generators derates the peak AND sustained power by about 15%.

high elevations also derate the power. combine the two? eeek.

My '2000' VA off brand ('yamaha engine') DC generator definitely can NOT run the A/C in my 2014 Escape 21, even on LOW AC, it bogs and quits when the AC starts. I do not have any sort of soft-start kit or whatall, its just stock as it came from Escape. I think its a Coleman, dunno the model. My offbrand '2000VA' generator turns out to only be good for 1300 watts at sea level (which is where I live... well, MSL +300 ft).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
huh. your optional EMS might have complained your ground and neutral weren't bonded, I have to shut my EMS off if my ground isn't legit. if you use a 'neutral bonding' plug on the generator, you are DEFINITELY supposed to ground the generator to a cold water pipe or a proper 3' copper plated ground stake. but thats a safety thing, and really shouldn't have any impact on actual operations, especially in our fiberglass campers where the shell isnt' conductive anyways. its mostly about ensuring that the metal frame doesn't have any voltage potential on it due to lack of actual grounding in unusual fault conditions.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
What’s the state of charge of your battery? If it’s low your WFCO may be sucking up an unusually high number of amps trying to charge the battery, not leaving enough for the AC.
Batteries are in good shape and fully charged but that is good thinking on troubleshooting.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Something doesn’t seem right. Can you run the A/C from shore power and take note of the amp draw on the EMS? Maybe something is wrong with the A/C that is causing a higher than normal inrush current on startup. Assuming you are home you are at just over 300’ ASL. A Honda 2200i should normally be able to run an 11,000 BTU A/C.
Shore power runs the A/C without an issue I will run it later and see what the amp draw is. Perhaps there is an issue with the EMS and it is shutting down when the amp draw is not really to low. However it would seem that the same would happen on shore power.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
huh. your optional EMS might have complained your ground and neutral weren't bonded, I have to shut my EMS off if my ground isn't legit. if you use a 'neutral bonding' plug on the generator, you are DEFINITELY supposed to ground the generator to a cold water pipe or a proper 3' copper plated ground stake. but thats a safety thing, and really shouldn't have any impact on actual operations, especially in our fiberglass campers where the shell isnt' conductive anyways. its mostly about ensuring that the metal frame doesn't have any voltage potential on it due to lack of actual grounding in unusual fault conditions.
I did not get the EMS option but I did luck out and an old friend who met us for the delivery at Bob's gifted me a Progressive pole mounted EMS along with a set of Andersen curved levelers. The pole mounted appears to have the identical functions as the hard wired factory installed.
We had just set up at Goosenecks and it was at least 100 degrees and my water pump had shut down and the AC wouldn't start. The water pump was the bypass valve adjustment problem and we fixed that. Fortunately I had watched the Escape fix it video. Now the EMS, I'm not sure I had that attached or not. Whatever, once I grounded the generator everything worked as it was suppose to. Like I said, I would try grounding the first generator before I bought the second one.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Shore power runs the A/C without an issue I will run it later and see what the amp draw is. Perhaps there is an issue with the EMS and it is shutting down when the amp draw is not really to low. However it would seem that the same would happen on shore power.
The reported error code from the EMS isn't about current (or grounding), it says that the voltage is too low. That happens when the generator can't keep up with demand; it's not likely to happen on shore power, with the same load.

It is possible that the EMS is not properly calibrated, and is complaining about a voltage which should be considered acceptable. Given that, the obvious - but inconvenient - next step would be to put a reasonable voltmeter on the AC power in the trailer while on the generator, then try to start the air conditioner and see what happens... both on the EMS display (which I assume can show voltage) and on the voltmeter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21
I've got a A Honda 2200i that runs on propane. It struggled (random low voltage warnings) starting the A/C before I added the Easy Start kit. Now it doesn't even go to full throttle on A/C start.
I highly recommend it.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
I've got a A Honda 2200i that runs on propane. It struggled (random low voltage warnings) starting the A/C before I added the Easy Start kit. Now it doesn't even go to full throttle on A/C start.
I highly recommend it.
Which "easy start kit" did you use and did you install it yourself?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The reported error code from the EMS isn't about current (or grounding), it says that the voltage is too low. That happens when the generator can't keep up with demand; it's not likely to happen on shore power, with the same load.
That's what I was getting at. OP is confusing voltage and amps. If the A/C is overloading the generator (high amps) then the voltage output will be lower. The lower voltage could be read by an (possibly out of calibration) EMS and then it cuts power to the trailer. For troubleshooting purposes one could bypass the EMS and see if the A/C can run through the initial start that is the highest load. A very brief voltage drop that might trip the EMS should be ok for the A/C.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I should say that I use the neutral grounding plug on my 2200i and do not bypass the EMS. I am thinking of buying the companion to run in parallel for home backup but I would not want to pack two generators around while camping. I have a hard time figuring out where to store the one while traveling.

I'm not sure if the op has the same A/C unit on their trailer as mine, but if it is, there must be some other factor preventing the 2200i from running it.

Probably the first place to check is the generator output as there is a chance the honda isn't "generating" properly.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote