Horst Miracle Probes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Horst Miracle Probes

Does anyone have experience with these probes? Are they truly that much better than the stock probes that come on the black and gray water tanks on the Escape?
I found a full set black/grey from a Denver RV supplier for under $70 but I dont know if it is worth the extra effort.

I would like to hear how they perform, how long you have had them and if you would go to the extra cost and effort again to have them installed. We have a couple months before our build sheet is due.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
There has been a lot of discussion on these probes if you use the Search function above. Here is just one thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/horst-5005.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Karen, Thanks. I did a search before posting and read the one you linked to but it didnt really say much about peoples experiences with the Horst probes or have any opinions from users about how much of an improvement they are over stock probes.
I will try some more searches.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
If I remember correctly, the general consensus is that they perform much better than the stock probes (which don't seem to do well after time), but a lot of people don't really care about having them as they just look into the black tank or at the fresh- and gray-water tanks and that's good enough for them. It's one of those options that some people who care about accuracy will spend money on and those who don't, won't. I'm sure someone will pipe in here...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have had the probes about a year now

We picked up the Skylark on 9/25/2015. Escape had installed the Horst Probes for us. So far they have worked just great. In our previous trailer (The Lark), occasionally we had to fill the black and the grey tanks up, along with a bit of chemical, and then drain the tanks while dancing in the trailer in order to get accurate readings again. We haven't had to do that in The Skylark. We have probably spent about 75 nights in it so far and the monitors still read empty after we drain the tanks.

So we are happy. As RBryant said in the other thread, the Horst probes are definitely in the "nice to have" category -- not a necessity. As GBaglo will tell you, you can always tell when the black tank is full, even without gauges.

I might have gotten the "Seelevel" monitoring system, but Reace wasn't willing to install that last year.

But you should also know that given the choice between two other-wise equal products, my inclination is to go with the product that has more knobs to turn and gauges to look at. I have been that way ever since I was a young boy. There is no reason for it except that I am fascinated by gauges, dials, etc.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We like them, and they're accurate. But, pricey. If I were trying to figure where to cut, the Horst Probes would probably be on the chopping block.

If you're talking about a larger rv where the tank levels are harder to determine visually, then the Horst Probes might be a higher priority.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Horst probes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Does anyone have experience with these probes? Are they truly that much better than the stock probes that come on the black and gray water tanks on the Escape?
I found a full set black/grey from a Denver RV supplier for under $70 but I dont know if it is worth the extra effort.

I would like to hear how they perform, how long you have had them and if you would go to the extra cost and effort again to have them installed. We have a couple months before our build sheet is due.
I put them in my 2015 17B which I just sold a week ago, and I am definitely putting them in the 19 I have on order. I never had any problems at all with levels, granted it was a new trailer but it got a lot of use in the 4 months I had it. I'm getting the foam insulation under the trailer (again) so I want Escape to install them.

I can't find anyone in Canada who has them in stock, and the place I bought them last time (Tweety's in San Antonio) wants $140US for a complete set. If you would give me the information for the dealer in Denver who has a complete set for $70US it would be much appreciated.

Also I'm curious how a visual inspection of the black and grey tank levels is done as others have mentioned in the thread.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I can't find anyone in Canada who has them in stock, and the place I bought them last time (Tweety's in San Antonio) wants $140US for a complete set. If you would give me the information for the dealer in Denver who has a complete set for $70US it would be much appreciated.
Hugh, I am going to order a set for my 17B, completion date June 16 and get them directly from the manufacturer Order Horst Miracle Probes - Buy Horst Miracle Probes here

I'm in Canada but have a private mailbox in America where I get shipments from Amazon etc. If you want, I can order two sets and send you one of them if you'd be so kind as to pay the Canada Post costs.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This place appears to sell them to Canadians. Not sure what shipping costs are, but the sell price is the same.

https://www.rv-partsplus.com/Accessories
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

You can buy them direct from Valterra, who bought out the rights to the Horst probes, but their prices are higher.

Horst Miracle Probes, For Gray Water Tanks, Pack of 4, Carded - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Horst Miracle Probes, For Black Water Tanks, Pack of 4, Carded - Valterra.com | Valterra.com
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #11

Horst

I checked the other day they have the grey ones but not black. I found someone in the US with both in stock who will ship to Canada. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #12

hughharden,

The probes I found at that price turned up on a Google search. The site was simply RV Probes and they were in Denver but the site said no international shipments. I will see if I can turn it up again.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #13

The website is www.rvprobes.com
Old 09-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #14

horst

Yes that is the site I started out with. They told me they couldn't ship to Canada (email conversation) and referred me to a Canadian supplier. That supplier only had the grey water probes. Anyway I finally found a US supplier who can send to Canada. If that craps out I will get them sent to a friend in Houston I'm going there in November anyway. Good thing I don't need to get them to ETI until March that might be how long it takes to get them!! So much for free trade.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
The website is www.rvprobes.com
I emailed them to find out if they knew where Canadians could get them, and their reply was the same site I posted, rv-partsplus.com
Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Also I'm curious how a visual inspection of the black and grey tank levels is done as others have mentioned in the thread.
Black tank: turn off water pump, open toilet flush valve, look down with flashlight
Grey tank: look under trailer ahead of axle, hold flashlight against tank to make level more apparent (the tank is translucent)

The fresh water tank works like the grey tank.

This technique is normal for most RVs, although some (such as my motorhome) have opaque grey waste tanks so that part doesn't work. The black tank method only works if the toilet is directly connected to the tank (sometimes in a fifth-wheel the bathroom is far above the black tank and the pipe isn't straight) - this is not a problem in any Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #17

tanks

So I guess out of luck for the grey and fresh tanks of you go for the spray foam insulation?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I emailed them to find out if they knew where Canadians could get them, and their reply was the same site I posted, rv-partsplus.com
Canadians can get them there as long as all they need are grey water probes. They are out of stock of black water probes until April I think. Not much help to me since I need to get them to ETI by march 1.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Canadians can get them there as long as all they need are grey water probes. They are out of stock of black water probes until April I think. Not much help to me since I need to get them to ETI by march 1.
Where do you see that Hugh? It has always said fresh stock has arrived, and it let me order them, with no suggestion of back order.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #20

Horst

That's great news for anyone in Canada that needs them, when I tried on September 14 I got the message about the out of stock black tank probes.