Hose Size Needed for QC Appliances - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Hose Size Needed for QC Appliances

A recent thread included a discussion of hose sizes needed to run a grill and a stove at the same time using the low pressure system. I posed this question to Tejas Smokers where I order my low pressure fittings. This is the answer I received:

The ¼” ID hose at low pressure will allow for 65,000 BTUs to pass through.

Given this information, look at the BTU specs for your grill and your stove burners. That should tell you if you will get enough gas to run your particular appliances simultaneously. Keep in mind that it is not likely that you would be running the grill and all stove burners on high at any given time. My fire pit is rated at 65,000 BTUs. Guess that means all the cooking had better be done before campfire time!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
This is really good to know Carl, thanks for digging the info up.

My Dickinson BBQ has a 10,000 burner. If I get the Ranger II, which I most likely will it is 2x17,000 BTU, so I will be good.

Even in you situation with the fire pit, do you find you run it on high all the time. It would not be hard to back it up while you heated water for the hot chocolate (with dark rum, of course).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Jim,
My Weber Q100 is rated at 8,500 BTUs per hour, though I think with the Weber built in regulator removed for low pressure operation, it performs better, maybe closer to 9,000 BTUs? The Ranger II burners are 17,000 BTUs each. That puts me way under hose capacity under any condition. I rarely run the firepit on high. I would guess, somewhere between 50 to 70%. It is a Campfire in a Can. I think they are in Chapter 11 or are having financial troubles. On its highest setting, the flames are too high for my liking. So you are absolutely correct. I would likely have adequate BTUs to prepare those tasty libations that make campfire time more enjoyable!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
From the field of actual use over 9 days of testing the QC with combinations of Weber Q, Camp Chef fire pit, and Camp Chef Ranger ii, they all run perform mahvelously on the QC Y adapter hookups mentioned above.
Carl's information confirms I should continue to get good performance with the setup. Thanks for finding that info.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
... as long as the hose isn't too long!

For reasonable lengths, it looks like everyone should be okay for most scenarios with the small hose. Thanks for the research, Carl.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote