Hot water heater setting off propane detector - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
One other thing that can set off the propane detector is passing gas. If you bring dogs along they as well as we will on occasion poot a bit. I have friends who have an old Basset hound that has set theirs off so often they installed a switch to the side of it so they can turn it off. Some might say that is not safe but I guess it was either that or stick a cork in the dog.
If you are awake, you will smell a propane leak before it reaches hazardous concentration IF you don’t have a medical condition where you cannot smell anything. And a quick glance at the alarm with its indicator light before going to bed would confirm whether or not the alarm is powered. I would therefore propose that putting the alarm on a switch may require a bit of caution, but I personally would not classify it as not safe.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
One other thing that can set off the propane detector is passing gas. If you bring dogs along they as well as we will on occasion poot a bit. I have friends who have an old Basset hound that has set theirs off so often they installed a switch to the side of it so they can turn it off. Some might say that is not safe but I guess it was either that or stick a cork in the dog.
I had heard that. Also some cleaning products and Febreeze. I could definitely smell propane though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #23

I checked the outside water heater vent area and there was water in the pan below the burner. Is that normal?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
I checked the outside water heater vent area and there was water in the pan below the burner. Is that normal?

Yes as the water heats up it expands and some will be released by the pressure relief valve, doesn’t hurt anything.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Yes as the water heats up it expands and some will be released by the pressure relief valve, doesn’t hurt anything.

Cheers
Doug
Perhaps another reason for a small accumulator tank...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:

Cheers
Doug
I thought so, just feeling a little jumpy! Totally makes sense since there's a pressure relief valve right above it. Thank you for the reassurance.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
On our previous 19 our propane detector went off and if you lifted the bench seat you could smell propane. I went outside to the water heater while it was going and could smell unburned propane there also. I observed the flame which was more yellowish then I liked. I shut down the unit and in the end discovered a few black flecks in the gas supply tube between the regulator and the propane jet, once this was cleaned along with the jet orifice and everything was reassembled all worked fine, no more propane smell.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #28

Quote:
On our previous 19 our propane detector went off and if you lifted the bench seat you could smell propane. I went outside to the water heater while it was going and could smell unburned propane there also. I observed the flame which was more yellowish then I liked. I shut down the unit and in the end discovered a few black flecks in the gas supply tube between the regulator and the propane jet, once this was cleaned along with the jet orifice and everything was reassembled all worked fine, no more propane smell.

Cheers
Doug
Thanks for this. Very helpful.