Hot water heater setting off propane detector - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Hot water heater setting off propane detector

My propane detector was going off today. I could definitely smell propane. I'm in a campground hooked up to electric and the only thing I'm using gas for at the moment is the hot water heater. I typically leave the hot water heater off and just turn it on when I need to get the water hot. I left it on today for a period of time longer than normal. I opened up the trailer and aired it out and have turned off the propane tanks and the hot water heater. The detector has reset. Any suggestions? I put in a call for mobile service but it may be a couple of days before I can get it serviced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
My propane detector was going off today. I could definitely smell propane. I'm in a campground hooked up to electric and the only thing I'm using gas for at the moment is the hot water heater. I typically leave the hot water heater off and just turn it on when I need to get the water hot. I left it on today for a period of time longer than normal. I opened up the trailer and aired it out and have turned off the propane tanks and the hot water heater. The detector has reset. Any suggestions? I put in a call for mobile service but it may be a couple of days before I can get it serviced.

Was it windy? I have had the propane detector go off when there was a strong wind blowing into the water heater.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Was it windy? I have had the propane detector go off when there was a strong wind blowing into the water heater.
We had wind two days ago...not windy now.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Sisababe, did you have windows closed due to it being cool and the Maxx fan on?
If you did I wonder if the slight negative pressure is pulling a small amount of propane from one of the appliances.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Sisababe, did you have windows closed due to it being cool and the Maxx fan on?
If you did I wonder if the slight negative pressure is pulling a small amount of propane from one of the appliances.
No, I had the windows open, except for the one on the driver's side (the emergency window over the hot water heater). Both back windows and passenger side kitchen and dinette were open. The max fan was not running.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
We had the experience with the propane detector going off while we were camping off the grid in Washington State with our Casita. When this happened we were packing up the campsite in preparation for moving on. We turned off the propane and swung by an RV service place in Yakima. After checking out the propane system including a pressure/leak test we concluded that the detector was detecting our car car exhaust while Tom was backing up the car to hitch up. Our trailer door was open at the time. This probably doesn't apply to you, but it is nice to be aware that this can happen.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmtn View Post
We had the experience with the propane detector going off while we were camping off the grid in Washington State with our Casita. When this happened we were packing up the campsite in preparation for moving on. We turned off the propane and swung by an RV service place in Yakima. After checking out the propane system including a pressure/leak test we concluded that the detector was detecting our car car exhaust while Tom was backing up the car to hitch up. Our trailer door was open at the time. This probably doesn't apply to you, but it is nice to be aware that this can happen.
Make sense and good information, but no I did not have the tow vehicle running. I could definitely smell propane clearly. Is this just something that happens when the wind blows in the right direction or is it a cause for concern? Do most people leave their hot water heater on all the time or just turn it on when they need it?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Lots of things can set of the propane alarm other than propane. Sarah, turn off the water heater but open the tank valve and see if you still smell propane. In other words, try to determine if you only smell propane and the alarm only goes off when the water heater is on.
I leave mine on all the time but I have the electric/gas water heater and I usually have a hook-up.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
I could definitely smell propane clearly. Is this just something that happens when the wind blows in the right direction or is it a cause for concern?

Do most people leave their hot water heater on all the time or just turn it on when they need it?

Sometimes when a device fires up there's not 100% combustion and a small amount of unburned gas is released. But it's very short lived. A very short time later it's dissipated and there's no further smell.

I'm betting it's about 51/49 on that one. I only heat water and then turn it off.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Sometimes when a device fires up there's not 100% combustion and a small amount of unburned gas is released. But it's very short lived. A very short time later it's dissipated and there's no further smell.

I'm betting it's about 51/49 on that one. I only heat water and then turn it off.

Ron
Same here, except when on a site with electric hookups - the electric side is on all the time.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

And, it should be noted it doesn’t take much of a concentration of propane, hydrogen, dog breath, etc. to set off the alarm. It will sound long before a dangerous (explosive) level builds up. The additive in propane to indicate its presence is detectable in extremely low concentrations; takes only a few PPM for the human olfactory receptors to react.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
And, it should be noted it doesn’t take much of a concentration of propane, hydrogen, dog breath, etc. to set off the alarm. It will sound long before a dangerous (explosive) level builds up. The additive in propane to indicate its presence is detectable in extremely low concentrations; takes only a few PPM for the human olfactory receptors to react.
This is the second time it's occurred in the past few days. I got a very distinct odor of propane and when I open the bench seat where the hot water heater is it's even more pronounced. Shutting off the hot water heater solves the problem. I'll probably have it looked at just to be safe and continue to only turn on the hot water heater when needed. I do have the electric switch but have not been using it. I guess I'll start!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It'd be different if you were at home and didn't have to sleep in it. I'd leave the gas off till it's been looked at. A full service propane dealer may also be able to check it, but then you'd have to bring it to them and wait till Monday anyway.

Might be worth getting in touch with ETI. Don't know where their warranty stops and starts for such a thing.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #14

If in a campground, I would be running it on electric anyway. You are paying for electricity as part of the fee. Why burn propane that you already paid for. That is like paying twice to heat your water.
And if you do not smell propane when the gas is on but the water heater is off, it’s more likely an adjustment needed rather than a leak, or it could be just a bit of gas not burned at startup. Perhaps run it on gas and open up windows to air out trailer while it is running. Then close windows. If smell of propane returns, then have it looked at.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We carry a small propane detector in the trailer. It uses simple green, yellow and red lights, and even has a little flashlight built in to it. If there is a leak somewhere, it can pinpoint the location.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It'd be different if you were at home and didn't have to sleep in it. I'd leave the gas off till it's been looked at. A full service propane dealer may also be able to check it, but then you'd have to bring it to them and wait till Monday anyway.

Might be worth getting in touch with ETI. Don't know where their warranty stops and starts for such a thing.
Thanks, I've sent an email to Reace and put a call in ti a mobile RV repair guy. I'll sleep better once it's been checked out.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We carry a small propane detector in the trailer. It uses simple green, yellow and red lights, and even has a little flashlight built in to it. If there is a leak somewhere, it can pinpoint the location.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #18

Trailer: None now
One other thing that can set off the propane detector is passing gas. If you bring dogs along they as well as we will on occasion poot a bit. I have friends who have an old Basset hound that has set theirs off so often they installed a switch to the side of it so they can turn it off. Some might say that is not safe but I guess it was either that or stick a cork in the dog.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Since you think it has to do with your WH check your gas line where it comes through the WH metal housing. The gas line come from the inside of the trailer through a 1.5"( Aprox.) hole in the metal housing to the outside gas connection. There is suppose to be a rubber grommet around your gas line to seal up the hole. ETI puts Lexel on the grommet to make it air tight. If the grommet is missing any gas leaks or combustion gases could easily enter the trailer.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Where did you purchase this detector
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote