Hot Water Tank Anode Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The anode rod is used in steel water tanks. The 2010 Escape 19 I owned did not have a anode rod. They must have changed the type of water heater.
Chuck
Our 19 is a 2012 so I'm not sure if/when the change to aluminum tanks happened. Our anode has much more "meat", as Jim B. calls it, than the one in the photo so I guess we're ok for the time being.

Doug

Old 11-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Here's a photo of my 14 month old(from pickup) anode. Does it make sense to just go ahead and replace it as the cost is less than $15? From one online review it seems they can get to the point of becoming hard to remove. Mine did have signs of rust beginning on the outside most threads & on the teflon tape. We have hard water here and have spent a bit of time in AZ & UT where they have pretty hard water as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151117_154443[1].jpg (182.9 KB, 17 views)

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Just clean off the old teflon tape and re-wrap, reinstall. Looks fine to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anode at 5 years.jpg (169.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Anode and teflon.jpg (146.4 KB, 11 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Here's a photo of my 14 month old(from pickup) anode. Does it make sense to just go ahead and replace it as the cost is less than $15? From one online review it seems they can get to the point of becoming hard to remove. Mine did have signs of rust beginning on the outside most threads & on the teflon tape. We have hard water here and have spent a bit of time in AZ & UT where they have pretty hard water as well.
You could remove that one and keep as a spare. That should last a little longer for when you suddenly need one and don't have a new one handy.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You might have 25% wear, so it is good for another couple years anyway, but still good to check annually regardless of winterizing. Sure it is only $15, but if you changed it every year, instead of every 4 years, these kind of costs add up. This one will work just as good as a new one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My 2008 has a anode. So, when did they change from what to what? I'm confused.
Anyway, here is a picture of an anode that needs replacement. I've not replaced mine yet, but we have soft water on the west coast. If you live in an area with hard water, you may have to replace the anode much sooner.
Actually, soft water is more aggressive with anodes than is hard water. Soft water can chew up a magnesium anode in short order. Soft water is also more aggressive on copper or galvanized pipes. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to having soft water.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #17

Seems to me that Baglo's 8-year old anode is in about the same condition as my barely year-old one. In any event I agree that it still has life left to it. Interesting to hear my kids go on about vendors wanting to completely junk this or that vs. fixing the just the root issue.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
The wear on the anode is not predictable unless you use the same water source all the time. I checked mine after the first year & it looked like Glenn's. Pulled it after the third year (I spent the 2nd year in the southwest & didn't winterize) and all that was left was the wire. I suggest checking it every year...
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Which you would do if you winterize your unit and drain the water heater. Good idea...
Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just clean off the old teflon tape and re-wrap, reinstall. Looks fine to me.
I see that you have several threads of teflon tape showing(probably most of what was wrapped on?). When first removing the anode, the nut head was flush against the tank. Due to deposits on the tank's threads it doesn't want to go back in all the way. The gunk on the threads is pretty tough; anyone have success using anything to safely remove? Does it matter the rod doesn't snug down as originally as long as it doesn't leak?

In one search it shows someone putting six gallons of vinegar in the tank and letting it sit overnight. Something tells me that is probably overkill, yet that is not unlike the instructions for my annual maintenance for an on-demand water heater I have in a room over my garage.