Hot Water Tank Anode Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Hot Water Tank Anode Question

How far gone does the hot water tank anode have to be before it should be replaced? I just checked mine and the first inch or so next to the threaded end has lost a lot of "stuff" but the rest is almost completely intact.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
How far gone does the hot water tank anode have to be before it should be replaced? I just checked mine and the first inch or so next to the threaded end has lost a lot of "stuff" but the rest is almost completely intact.

Doug
Doug - mine looked like that after only a year or two. It is still going fine now 2 years later. As long as there is still anode material left it is still working (as far as I have read.)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
50% is the general rule. The same standard is given for anodes on boat engines and prop shafts.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As long as there is some 'meat' left on the anode, it is able to do its intended job, to stop tank corrosion. Not an expensive item though, so I would replace it by the time it is down to 75% of it's original size.

It sounds like yours is good at least until you drain it out this fall, Doug.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
The anode rod is used in steel water tanks. The 2010 Escape 19 I owned did not have a anode rod. They must have changed the type of water heater.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My 2008 has a anode. So, when did they change from what to what? I'm confused.
Anyway, here is a picture of an anode that needs replacement. I've not replaced mine yet, but we have soft water on the west coast. If you live in an area with hard water, you may have to replace the anode much sooner.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 8.54.50 PM.png  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The anode rod is used in steel water tanks. The 2010 Escape 19 I owned did not have a anode rod. They must have changed the type of water heater.
Chuck
Apparently, Suburban tanks use anodes and Atwood tanks do not. Here is a quote from an online source, I cannot vouch for whether or not it is correct:

Quote:
Replacing Anode Rods and Extending Your Water Heater's Life Anode rods are in some water heaters to protect the tank lining from corrosion, extending its life considerably. Anode rods must be changed every year or more. If you've just purchased a used RV I'd advise you have this done ASAP. Some tanks are glass lined and don't require the anode rod.

To locate your anode rod you need to know the brand of water heater you own, which is very likely to be either Suburban or Atwood.
  • Suburban water heaters have a place for the anode rod located at the center bottom. You can find this by going to the outside access of your RV.
  • Atwood water heaters are of the glass-lined variety and an anode is not required.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #8

If you purchase a used RV, I would check it for sure, but not replace unless necessary.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Atwood used aluminum tanks on older models instead of steel, so no anode needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you purchase a used RV, I would check it for sure, but not replace unless necessary.
I agree. If most of your anode is still there, should be no need to replace.

Intent of my previous post was mostly to indicate that different hot water heater manufacturers used different materials, some requiring an anode be used and some that don't.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Chuck
Our 19 is a 2012 so I'm not sure if/when the change to aluminum tanks happened. Our anode has much more "meat", as Jim B. calls it, than the one in the photo so I guess we're ok for the time being.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Here's a photo of my 14 month old(from pickup) anode. Does it make sense to just go ahead and replace it as the cost is less than $15? From one online review it seems they can get to the point of becoming hard to remove. Mine did have signs of rust beginning on the outside most threads & on the teflon tape. We have hard water here and have spent a bit of time in AZ & UT where they have pretty hard water as well.
Attached Thumbnails
20151117_154443[1].jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just clean off the old teflon tape and re-wrap, reinstall. Looks fine to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Anode at 5 years.jpg   Anode and teflon.jpg  
Old 11-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Here's a photo of my 14 month old(from pickup) anode. Does it make sense to just go ahead and replace it as the cost is less than $15? From one online review it seems they can get to the point of becoming hard to remove. Mine did have signs of rust beginning on the outside most threads & on the teflon tape. We have hard water here and have spent a bit of time in AZ & UT where they have pretty hard water as well.
You could remove that one and keep as a spare. That should last a little longer for when you suddenly need one and don't have a new one handy.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You might have 25% wear, so it is good for another couple years anyway, but still good to check annually regardless of winterizing. Sure it is only $15, but if you changed it every year, instead of every 4 years, these kind of costs add up. This one will work just as good as a new one.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My 2008 has a anode. So, when did they change from what to what? I'm confused.
Anyway, here is a picture of an anode that needs replacement. I've not replaced mine yet, but we have soft water on the west coast. If you live in an area with hard water, you may have to replace the anode much sooner.
Actually, soft water is more aggressive with anodes than is hard water. Soft water can chew up a magnesium anode in short order. Soft water is also more aggressive on copper or galvanized pipes. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to having soft water.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #17

Seems to me that Baglo's 8-year old anode is in about the same condition as my barely year-old one. In any event I agree that it still has life left to it. Interesting to hear my kids go on about vendors wanting to completely junk this or that vs. fixing the just the root issue.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The wear on the anode is not predictable unless you use the same water source all the time. I checked mine after the first year & it looked like Glenn's. Pulled it after the third year (I spent the 2nd year in the southwest & didn't winterize) and all that was left was the wire. I suggest checking it every year...
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Which you would do if you winterize your unit and drain the water heater. Good idea...
Old 11-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just clean off the old teflon tape and re-wrap, reinstall. Looks fine to me.
I see that you have several threads of teflon tape showing(probably most of what was wrapped on?). When first removing the anode, the nut head was flush against the tank. Due to deposits on the tank's threads it doesn't want to go back in all the way. The gunk on the threads is pretty tough; anyone have success using anything to safely remove? Does it matter the rod doesn't snug down as originally as long as it doesn't leak?

In one search it shows someone putting six gallons of vinegar in the tank and letting it sit overnight. Something tells me that is probably overkill, yet that is not unlike the instructions for my annual maintenance for an on-demand water heater I have in a room over my garage.