Hot water tank not heating - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Hot water tank not heating

Okay, obviously I'm missing something. We got the 2-way hot water heater. Hot water tank is full as water comes out the hot water tap. I flipped the switch that's over the frig that says it's for the hot water heater. It turns red. But there isn't any hot water. I'm plugged into power from the house.

The owner's manual says something about flipping a switch and light will come on. Is there another switch I need to flip? If so, where the heck is it?

Very frustrated here.

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
If it is like ours that switch is for igniting the propane- so it only works if the propane is on. The switch to turn on the electric is outside in the water heater compartment. Hope this helps!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The switch over the fridge is only for propane - if the propane is lined up, it should fire up. If you want to run the hot water heater using electric, you need to go outside, open the door on the hot water heater, and turn on the switch located in the lower left of the heater compartment.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
THANKS!!! We'll try that right now.

Yeah, we have a lot to learn, huh?
Old 12-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: None now
Just remember to turn it off before you unplug. The element goes pffft instantly if there is no water in the tank. Which is how I discovered I fried the element in our previous trailer.
There is a mod on this site that moves it into the trailer, I'm thinking that will be one we do.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Switch? What switch?

Okay, we couldn't find it. Least we think this is the hot water panel we're supposed to open and flip a switch. Must have been hidden from us. Plus, Dirk didn't want me to fiddle with stuff. He suggested I post a photo and ask. Which I am.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04984.jpg   DSC04985.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Just remember to turn it off before you unplug. The element goes pffft instantly if there is no water in the tank. Which is how I discovered I fried the element in our previous trailer.
There is a mod on this site that moves it into the trailer, I'm thinking that will be one we do.
Gotta find it first to know how to turn it off and on! But, yeah, thanks for the reminder/comment on that.

Yep, I think turning it on and off INSIDE the trailer would be best. Kind of weird you have to go outside and I thought that before. You'd think it would be there in the first place!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The switch for the electric heating element in your water heater is outside ,on the left side of the water heater hidden behind the burner assembly . It is a black plastic rocker style switch . The 2 reset buttons with the rubber boots at the top of the heater are not it.
You need to get down on your knees and then slide your hand up behind the burner tube to feel the switch. If your electric heating element goes bad you will have to remove the burner assembly to get at the electric heating element . It is neither difficult or complicated to temove the burner assembly.

The switch on your water heater is a PITA to change out because the wires are usually too short. Unplug the trailer or shut the circuit breaker off for the water heater before turning the unit work switch on or off. The switch on the heater is designed as a work safety switch and not to turn the water heater on & off under load.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
NW Cat Owner,
Be sure the hot water system is not in bypass mode before turning on the electric element. In other words, be sure the tank is full. Cold water will still come out of hot water tap in bypass mode...it just isn't running through the heater.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It's behind this, I think I might see a little bit of it in this picture, click on the thumbnail, the red I drew is faint in the little pic.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04984a.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's behind this, I think I might see a little bit of it in this picture, click on the thumbnail, the red I drew is faint in the little pic.
I can't see it in your photo but that's the area. Definitely not easy to see. When we picked up ours at ETI the person doing the handover looked in that area and then had to ask where it was.

A lot to be said for an interior switch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Exterior Water Heater Switch

Here is a picture with the burner tube removed. Much easier to see it's location with it out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Heater Exterior Switch DSCN0010.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Suburgan 2Way Water Heater

While I'm at it, I'm attaching a picture I created back in 2006 for the Suburban 2-Way water heater with labels.
Attached Thumbnails
Suburban DSI WH 1c.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good on you for posting the labeled photos. I'm sure they'll come in handy for others also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
NW Cat Owner,
Be sure the hot water system is not in bypass mode before turning on the electric element. In other words, be sure the tank is full. Cold water will still come out of hot water tap in bypass mode...it just isn't running through the heater.
That's a great point. It is doubtful a new trailer would leave the factory in bypass but you never know. The best way to confirm the hot water tank is full is to pull up slightly on the pressure relief valve handle. If there is water you are good.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It is doubtful a new trailer would leave the factory in bypass but you never know.
In summer I would agree, but if the trailer (or any RV) leaves the factory in winter, and the owner does not immediately pick it up and use it as it leaves the factory door, the plumbing should be winterized - that would include draining and bypassing the water heater. Obviously this doesn't apply in warm enough places, but it would make sense in Chilliwack.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:44 AM   #17

Holy Cow!

Okay, whomever said I had to kneel down to turn the stinking thing on wasn't kidding! Holy Cow!

Okay, will look at all that tomorrow - too dark and too late now.

THANKS Kent for posting that photo with text. It's gonna get printed out big time and put inside the binder I will be creating with all the manuals and such (if I can figure out where I put the box with all that literature).

Thanks Donna and Kent for pointing out where the switch is. Yeah, we certainly did not see that. jeez! Yeah, definitely a good reason to use it on propane or an inside switch. Dang!

Okay, now you folks have thrown more stuff at me! Bypass mode?!??! How the heck will I know about that? And how do I take it out? The trailer was originally winterized, but I had them de-winterize it since we were going to use it.

Thanks again everyone - I greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Did you not get manuals for all of the appliances and systems at the orientation? What did you do with them?
Old 12-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, now you folks have thrown more stuff at me! Bypass mode?!??! How the heck will I know about that? And how do I take it out? The trailer was originally winterized, but I had them de-winterize it since we were going to use it.

Thanks again everyone - I greatly appreciate it.
The should be a couple of valves on the Pex plumbing near the water heater. When these valves are open, water will flow through the water heater. When they are closed, water will be diverted around the water heater, but will still go to the sinks, shower, and toilet. The bypass allows you to winterize the trailer with antifreeze but keeps water/antifreeze out of the water heater once the valves are closed. Just don't forget to open the valves in the spring after clearing the system of antifreeze.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
These 2 valves are located on the back of the water heater under the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1437.JPG