How do you all organize clothes in the overhead cabinets? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
How do you all organize clothes in the overhead cabinets?

Hi all...

We keep our clothes in the overhead cabinets above the bed in our 19. Do any of you use bins or baskets or something else to keep things organized up there?

Can you recommend any solutions?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Clothes Storage

Dolly:
We've had very good experience using Eagle Creek's Pack-It Cubes. These are zip closed rectangular "cubes" (made from nylon fabric) that are available in various sizes and colors. We each use 2 of the small size (one for underwear, one for socks) and two of the large size (one for shorts/pants and one for folded shirts). By using different colors of cubes, it makes it easy to identify which cube you need, and the cubes keep the items in them from unfolding or falling out of the overhead cabinets. We bought ours from REI, but I sure they're available elsewhere. Highly recommended!

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
With our 19', we had big bins that fit under the bed. We put some linens and our personal odds and ends above the bed. On the 21', we have clothes in overheads but no organizers because our small clothing items are in the drawers.

We have some of those pack-it things and we could use them for that also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Dolly:
We've had very good experience using Eagle Creek's Pack-It Cubes. These are zip closed rectangular "cubes" (made from nylon fabric) that are available in various sizes and colors. We each use 2 of the small size (one for underwear, one for socks) and two of the large size (one for shorts/pants and one for folded shirts). By using different colors of cubes, it makes it easy to identify which cube you need, and the cubes keep the items in them from unfolding or falling out of the overhead cabinets. We bought ours from REI, but I sure they're available elsewhere. Highly recommended!

Dave
Great idea! Think I'll get some as Christmas gift!

Thanks tons for the idea.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
We too use eagle creek pack it cubes! And ranger rolling items! You will be amazed at the space saved not to mention organization!
Eagle creek goes on sale 30% quite often...on their website.

I went to REI to configure exactly what I needed! The large folders are amazing. We went on a 10 day cruise with just a carryon and never wore the same thing twice!

Google ranger rolling...it works!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hi all...

We keep our clothes in the overhead cabinets above the bed in our 19. Do any of you use bins or baskets or something else to keep things organized up there?

Thanks!
We use eBags, which we found cheaper and a better fit than Eagle Creek. 6 of these fit gear in the overhead bins and the depth is perfect. Bought different colors for clothing types. Link here: eBags Medium Packing Cubes - 3 Piece Set - eBags.com
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We use dividers for both kitchen stuff and clothes. "Bookend" style makes it easy to rearrange/resize when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0230.jpg   Dividers.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We use these for space saving https://www.amazon.com/Tidybagz-Spac...age+saver+bags
Old 10-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I have an open topped storage container from Target (sort of like a short smallish bucket made from material). I couldn't find any more of them there this year so I took Trader Joe's reusable grocery bags and folded the top down over and over until I get to the desired height. It ends up being similar to size and function to the Target container. I jam underwear in one and socks in another and I could probably put t-shirts in one too. I use one for vitamins and other pills too. I even took a medium sized paper sack and folded down the top until it was maybe 4 inches tall and used in for spices to stand up in. What makes them work for us is they are compressible from the sides and can be jammed into the sides of the overheads while you are trying to get to other stuff. Plus folding down the material makes it stand up on it's own and keeps an open top.
John
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hi all...

Thanks!
Hi: sallemann... If you want organized clothes... you might as well wear a uniform!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We use these boxes for the sides of the overheads (the parts that are hidden) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1and these for the places in between https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Heather-Storage-Cocoa/dp/B00KJ91SH6/ref=dp_ob_title_baby?th=1. We love them. They fold up when not in use and we can bring them in the house to pack our clothes, then carry them out fully loaded and place them in the overheads. They're one purchase I have never regretted. (And they're very sturdy.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used these also, but with the 2nd generation curb side o/h being a little smaller, they will still fit, but sitting on the lip, the door closes.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am not a fan of storing in closed containers inside a cabinet. Much too fussy. I have used a small open bin for socks and underwear. Everything else just gets stacked in the cabinet.

I do like the divider idea Charlie is building though. especially the L shape which can be slid side-to-side to create a compartment size as needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not a fan of storing in closed containers inside a cabinet. Much too fussy. I have used a small open bin for socks and underwear. Everything else just gets stacked in the cabinet.

I do like the divider idea Charlie is building though. especially the L shape which can be slid side-to-side to create a compartment size as needed.
Another vote for open bins or dividers in the overhead cabinets. Things are much easier to access.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
I like to use the big cabinet to organize clothes. The 4 baskets are more space than we need on most trips, so the remaining baskets can used for other storage. On the side hanger rack there is about 6 inches of room to hang coats , etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4711.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Nice setup! Do you know how wide the closet is in the 21'?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Nice setup! Do you know how wide the closet is in the 21'?
Thanks, The face frame opening is 18 1/2" x 34" (Inside the face frame is 22" X 36") by 24" deep. Each basket is 12 7/8" X 20 3/4" x 7 1/4" high. I got them at the container store.

The baskets dementions fit the open pretty well as there is an inch of space between the tops and bottoms of the baskets.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not a fan of storing in closed containers inside a cabinet. Much too fussy. .
we're with Jim. We have lived for 7 months in 2015 and 6 months this year in our E-19 while traveling the country teaching Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) so we travel with a lot of clothes. Much of our outdoor, paddling gear is in totes in the van (TV) but our regular clothes are all stored in the overheads. I get the east and Cindy gets the west. We use the center for hoodies, jackets and dirty clothes sack. I just stack my folded or rolled clothes accordingly. Near the back is folded shirts and t-shirts. In the middle is sox, underwear and at the front (rolled) is jeans and cargo shorts. I do go in and re-organize every 2 weeks or so. we turned our closet into a pantry so nothing to see there!

I couldn't imagine unzipping a bag every time I needed something. Plus you can't see what your getting unless you take the entire bag out, right?

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
I like to use the big cabinet to organize clothes. The 4 baskets are more space than we need on most trips, so the remaining baskets can used for other storage. On the side hanger rack there is about 6 inches of room to hang coats , etc.
I cannot even recognize this as the shape and size of our 21' closet. I guess the baskets are so big that they make the closet look different to me. Of course, we have no baskets there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I cannot even recognize this as the shape and size of our 21' closet. I guess the baskets are so big that they make the closet look different to me. Of course, we have no baskets there.
This might help, a wider shot to help perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4726.jpg   IMG_4708.jpg