How do you Prime the Water Pump - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
How do you Prime the Water Pump

How do you prime the water pump if it doesn’t do it automatically ?

The trailer (19’-2o15) was on shore connections for the last couple of months. The fresh water tank was empty during that time. We filled it before disconnecting from shore. There are 4 lights showing a full fresh water tank.
Both the hot & cold valves are open. The pump is running. No water.
The system was working perfectly before attaching to the shore system.

I noticed that about half way between the tank & the pump in the clear hose, there is a about 2 feet of hose attached to the valve that just hangs free. I cannot see where it might be attached. The valve is positioned to indicate that the water should be passing through it to the pump.

Any ideas or suggestion as to how to prime the water pump ?

Would attaching the “water purge” adapter to the fresh water fill outlet & a little air pressure prime the pump ? Or would this create another headache ?

How long does one allow the pump to run to prime the system ?

Thank You for any ideas & suggestions ?

uw
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
The valve and short hose are for winterizing the system. When using the trailer the valve should be positioned to pull water from the tank. You can put the short hose into a container of water and see if the pump pulls that water in, if so the valve needs to be switched back to the tank setting.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Check the faucet aerator. Take it apart carefully, making note of what goes where in re-assembling the aerator parts. You may have some debris in the aerator filter that is shutting off flow.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You have to close all your faucets before the pump will pressurize and turn itself off.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've always just left one faucet open, only takes a minute or so.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Can take quite a few minutes. Might keep running it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Water system

One thing I usually do to make sure I don't have an air lock is to open the pressure relief valve at the top of the hot water system on the outside of the trailer. Sometimes that helps to prime up faster and let's the hot water side flow more quickly. I do this with the heating function off so as not to get scalded.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
One thing I usually do to make sure I don't have an air lock is to open the pressure relief valve at the top of the hot water system on the outside of the trailer. Sometimes that helps to prime up faster and let's the hot water side flow more quickly. I do this with the heating function off so as not to get scalded.
Dave
We do that too Dave. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I've gotten into the habit, and it also verifies the water heater is full.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWilly View Post
How do you prime the water pump if it doesn’t do it automatically ?

The trailer (19’-2o15) was on shore connections for the last couple of months. The fresh water tank was empty during that time. We filled it before disconnecting from shore. There are 4 lights showing a full fresh water tank.
Both the hot & cold valves are open. The pump is running. No water.
The system was working perfectly before attaching to the shore system.

I noticed that about half way between the tank & the pump in the clear hose, there is a about 2 feet of hose attached to the valve that just hangs free. I cannot see where it might be attached. The valve is positioned to indicate that the water should be passing through it to the pump.

Any ideas or suggestion as to how to prime the water pump ?

Would attaching the “water purge” adapter to the fresh water fill outlet & a little air pressure prime the pump ? Or would this create another headache ?

How long does one allow the pump to run to prime the system ?

Thank You for any ideas & suggestions ?

uw
Have you tried opening a faucet while the pump is running? There may be an airlock between the pump and faucet. Opening the faucet may let the pump push the air out. Not sure what you mean by opening the hot and cold valves unless those are the faucets. if that is the case then ignore this message.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
This happens to us from time to time. I suspect when this occurs the pump is pumping air. I have a length of hose I keep handy which I hold on to the faucet and then draw the air out and water through. The first time this happened I called Tammy and she giggled and said "you have to suck on the tap".
Old 10-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
This happens to us from time to time. I suspect when this occurs the pump is pumping air. I have a length of hose I keep handy which I hold on to the faucet and then draw the air out and water through. The first time this happened I called Tammy and she giggled and said "you have to suck on the tap".
I definitely have a problem if I turn on the pump after running on water hookups unless I open a faucet. It appears that water pressure on the output of the pump prevents it from drawing from the tank. Dropping the output pressure by opening a faucet (or the toilet) gets the pump start pumping again.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
To make you feel better, I just got a call from Toyota that my water pump is leaking and needs replacement. Parts and labour come to $1,010.78.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I had this happen to me and it turned out to be a bad pump. The check valve got stuck closed so nothing could flow even though the pump motor worked fine. In fact, Escape replaced it (Shurflo) once with another brand (Artic), and that failed, too, and I had to get a warranty replacement of it, too. I think I have a working pump now. Coincidentally, it first happened after I switched from city water to the pump so I suspect that there was a design or manufacture problem with the check valve in the first pump.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I concur with several others. Water naturally flows downhill. If your water pump is mounted on the floor, and the level of water in your fresh water tank is above the pump, then it seems water from the tank should flow naturally down into the pump to fill and "prime" it - provided there is nothing blocking the flow of water such as; 1) a closed cut-off valve at the tank that needs to be turned open, 2) a stuck in-line one-way check valve, or 3) air in the line beyond the pump that needs to be bled out through an open sink/shower/toilet faucet so water can then flow in to replace it. Does your water pump have a settling bulb on the bottom that you can loosen to see if water drips (or gushes) out?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
FWIW, the pump in the new 2nd generation 19 model is mounted on the refer wall, under the bed, with a foam base and flexible hoses to eliminate noise. Quite quiet.....
Old 10-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Our pump in our previous 19 used to do this. We would just suck on the kitchen tap with the valve open and the pump on. Worked every time.
Cheers
Doug
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Our pump in our previous 19 used to do this. We would just suck on the kitchen tap with the valve open and the pump on. Worked every time.
Cheers
Doug
Hi: PGDriver... That wouldn't be bad if you winterized the lines with Vodka!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 19'
Need advice please. Filled the water tank for the 1st time & with bleach to sanitize system. Turned on pump, no water. Tammy said to remove top of pump & push the check valve. It easily pushed in & popped back out as she said it should. Well, still no water. Can't do that sucky thing to the faucet as it is the new one. The stopcocks are not in bypass position but in the horizontal position which is "normal" according to owners manual. In addition, I don't completely understand how the water tank fills....here is how I think it works, open faucet to hot, turn on pump & hot water tank should fill? Also, if pump working correctly, turning on pump with faucet on cold should expel air & then start water flow correct? Well none of that is happening. Frustrating to a new novice owner. Sure could use your expert advice. Thank you! Julie
PS, I assume those "stopcocks" when turned in line are in direction of flow?
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I would note that if the water heater is empty, it may take a while to fill up, with the faucet seemingly not flowing. If I know I am going to be "off (the water) grid," I fill the water heater before leaving home.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 19'
Thanks Carl. I'm @ home & filled fresh water tank. How does the hot water tank get filled?
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, prime, water pump