How do you tell when the grey tank is full? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How do you tell when the grey tank is full?

Decided to check the grey tanks the other day, specifically I was checking to see how much is left when it gets to the very slow drain stage, and how long it takes to get to that point. What I found kind of surprised me. First off, only the last 3 gallons +/- come out very slow, the rest is fairly quick. Took 5 minute to get to what I'll consider acceptably empty, It took 10 minutes to the point where nothing came out, this with the trailer level. I also found that when the sensor reads full the 30 gallon tank actually has 20 gallons in it. Doing the above checks, I had roughly 25 gallons in the tank, I let it fill (via a Flush King) for a bit after the sensor read full.

In normal usage, do you go by the sensor and dump at full or use some other method? Guess if nothing else it gives you plenty of extra room in case you don't notice it hit the full mark.

I toyed with the idea of filling it until it came out the shower drain to see what it really holds but that'll have to wait for another day.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never had to worry about the grey tank. I have to dump because the black is full and you can check that visually by opening the toilet trap if you don't trust the sensor.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hummm, I figure the gray water tank is full when no more water goes down the drain. I'm old skool....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, I figure the gray water tank is full when no more water goes down the drain. I'm old skool....
That would work, but make sure your shower drain is closed tight.

Grey water has never been much of an issue for us either, seeing we do most of our dishes outside, and rarely shower in it. As long as there are trees or other facilities, our black tank fills slow too, and we have the smaller older model. 5 nights has yet to be a problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote