How Make A Waterproof Port/Install Backup Camera - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
This helps a whole lot. I am about to install my Tadi system. Two questions:
1. Where is the thru-hole located? It must be right by the camera. Just above? Somewhere else? Just above the camera body, maybe an inch.

2. How is the camera mounted to the trailer? Are screws used? Any idea what size? I assume stainless steel.
I can feel a wooden mounting block for the camera under the insulation that lines up with the outside mounting bracket for the camera. There are screws through the bracket and shell into that block.

Yup, rig needs to be washed...............
Attached Thumbnails
Camera Bottom.jpg   Camera Top.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
How Make A Waterproof Port/Install Backup Camera

How is the video quality on your camera?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I asked ETI about how they mounted a camera, and got their usual great customer service. Here are the photos they sent, complete with notes written on masking tape. They gave me permission to share the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Backup camera 1 of 3.jpg   Backup camera 2 of 3.jpg   Backup camera 3 of 3.jpg  
Old 02-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Nice! However, I just worked on a brand new 21 and the way they left the TADI transmitter just floating around the rear cabinet is kinda goofy. Fortunately the connectors are RCA stereo type so you could use speaker wires to add a section that would let you mount the transmitter to the inside of the cabinet somewhere instead of getting mixed up with other stuff.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
... the way they left the TADI transmitter just floating around the rear cabinet is kinda goofy. Fortunately the connectors are RCA stereo type so you could use speaker wires to add a section...
Although it might work, I don't think you want to use speaker wires. Although the connectors are "RCA" or "phono" type, this is a composite video signal so the cable likely needs to be coaxial to work properly, not just a twisted wire pair as used for audio (both low-power signals and occasionally speaker connections). Look at a typical cable set to connect both video and audio between two devices: the left and right audio signals (white and red connectors) are on thin two-conductor cables while the video (yellow connectors) is on thicker round coaxial cable.

It's still easy - just buy video cable with RCA plugs (usually yellow), not speaker cables with RCA plugs (usually white and red).

Quick example from Amazon: RiteAV RCA Audio Video Cable (6 feet)
The video (yellow) cable is noticeably bigger, because it is RG59U coaxial cable, while the audio (white and yellow) cables are smaller and not coax.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Although it might work, I don't think you want to use speaker wires. Although the connectors are "RCA" or "phono" type, this is a composite video signal so the cable likely needs to be coaxial to work properly, not just a twisted wire pair as used for audio (both low-power signals and occasionally speaker connections). Look at a typical cable set to connect both video and audio between two devices: the left and right audio signals (white and red connectors) are on thin two-conductor cables while the video (yellow connectors) is on thicker round coaxial cable.

It's still easy - just buy video cable with RCA plugs (usually yellow), not speaker cables with RCA plugs (usually white and red). Quick example from Amazon: RiteAV RCA Audio Video Cable (6 feet)
The video (yellow) cable is noticeably bigger, because it is RG59U coaxial cable, while the audio (white and yellow) cables are smaller and not coax.
That's probably the best approach if it's a longer run, but on short ones (like a foot) think the speaker wire would be fine. Another interesting cable fact with the TADI system is that the cable from the receiver to the video monitor is actually a PS/2 mouse cable routing both power and video. I picked up a 16 footer so I could run the output from the receiver in the back of my truck through the vehicle up to the drivers side visor, so when I use the clip-over-the-mirror monitor it's only one cable to plug in without wires running everywhere.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I installed the Tadi Brothers backup camera that I got for Christmas and had a chance to try it out when we took the trailer for bearing and brake work. I was disappointed and wanted to see what others' experience has been. I got the display that clips over the backup mirror. The glare through the Jeep's rear window was enough that I could barely see the backup screen even with it set for maximum brightness and contrast. Have others had similar experiences? Is the screen view weak or is there a problem with my screen? Or is there something short of blacking out the rear window I should do?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have a different set-up but my monitor is located about seat level and I don't get any glare from the rear window. Can you lower yours and see if it fixes the glare problem?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #29
Commercial Member

I have the same clip-on TADI setup; I found the problem wasn't glare but that big white box following me washed out the image. If you cock the mirror over at an angle toward the passenger side so the white trailer isn't reflected in the mirror it works great. Doesn't take much of an angle.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com