How to register a new trailer in Texas - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #161

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellduh326 View Post
Does anyone on the group have any experience with registration in Nueces County? I have already hit the "wall of inconsistency" on the phone.
I'm a bit south of you in Kenedy County. We do our business in Kleberg County as there's nowhere in Kenedy County to do business. Not a single commercial business.

When I registered mine last year(Jun) after receiving the papers from ETI I gave the lady at the DMV my Bill of sale and the manufacture statement of origin. I had the additional papers ETI sent me but said nothing about it being imported.

She had to see it was from Canada from the Bill of Sale but said nothing and I kept my mouth shut.

About 15 minutes later I left with my plate and much lighter wallet

Since then I have seen posts of TX owners. Experiences all over the place. No DMV office seems to be the same.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #162

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
You may want to view this earlier thread - especially the last page - and pray that folks in your county is nowhere as strict as those I encountered in Houston! Best wishes!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...n-15645-5.html

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #163

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Thanks, I read this entire discussion. I was hoping someone might be lurking out there that had dealt with Nueces County specifically. I'd already decided to have every ready, but try 75thRanger's method first.
Thanks. Still hoping....
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #164

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
The regulatory load for many boat and trailer owners just got lighter.
Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday signed SB 1001, sponsored by State Sen. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood, which increases the maximum gross weight for required trailer inspections to 7,500 pounds, from 4,500 pounds.

I found this out when i renewed my 31’ Airstream registration last week.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #165

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
.... Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday signed SB 1001, sponsored by State Sen. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood, which increases the maximum gross weight for required trailer inspections to 7,500 pounds, from 4,500 pounds. ....
Lol, that happened and was effective back on 09/01/2017.

https://capitol.texas.gov/billlookup...5R&Bill=SB1001

I hope you've not been suffering needless inspection fees since then
Old 08-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #166

No actually hadn’t used it in several years. Just need to get updated tags. It was news to me. That being said, it appeared everyone believed it was still 4000# limit.
Going to sale the AS pick up a 21C.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #167

I live inVictoria. Did your registration go ok in Nueces County?
We hope to place an order later this year.
Did you get a temporary permit to bring it back before you left?
Old 09-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #168

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Got the TX Form 68A and initial safety inspection

We successfully got our daughter's new 21NE VIN verified for Texas registration. Her trailer arrived in Georgetown, TX on September 9.

Went to the Burnet County Sheriff's office, Monday Sept 21, to obtain the TX DMV Form 68A, Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (new form 06/2020). The Deputy accepted the street side exterior sticker, which matches the VIN on the Customs Entry form and the Certificate of Origin. Burnet County Sheriff Office holds the inspections every Monday, 9:00 am, at the Burnet County North Annex facility on TX 29, just east of town. It is on a first come, first served basis. Cost is $40. In Texas, you must have the 68A to register the imported trailer.

The inspectors for Travis County and Austin residents are not doing 68A inspections until further notice.

While the annual safety inspection requirement is only for trailers with GVWR ≥ 7500 lbs, DMV told us that all imported and first time registration trailers require an initial Texas safety inspection. We had that done in Burnet at Utility Trailer Sales on US Hwy 281. This initial safety inspection procedure is new, and we did not need it when we registered our 19' in June 2019.

You then need a TX DMV Form 130U, Application for Texas Title and/or Registration, plus a TX DMV Form 141, Trailer Verification Statement of Fact.

She now has all the forms required for her October 3 registration appointment. She was able to snag a cancellation. Otherwise, it would be out into November for Austin/Travis County.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #169

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Glad we got our Escape when we did. No inspection required

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #170

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We successfully got our daughter's new 21NE VIN verified for Texas registration. Her trailer arrived in Georgetown, TX on September 9.

Went to the Burnet County Sheriff's office, Monday Sept 21, to obtain the TX DMV Form 68A, Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (new form 06/2020). The Deputy accepted the street side exterior sticker, which matches the VIN on the Customs Entry form and the Certificate of Origin. Burnet County Sheriff Office holds the inspections every Monday, 9:00 am, at the Burnet County North Annex facility on TX 29, just east of town. It is on a first come, first served basis. Cost is $40. In Texas, you must have the 68A to register the imported trailer.

The inspectors for Travis County and Austin residents are not doing 68A inspections until further notice.

While the annual safety inspection requirement is only for trailers with GVWR ≥ 7500 lbs, DMV told us that all imported and first time registration trailers require an initial Texas safety inspection. We had that done in Burnet at Utility Trailer Sales on US Hwy 281. This initial safety inspection procedure is new, and we did not need it when we registered our 19' in June 2019.

You then need a TX DMV Form 130U, Application for Texas Title and/or Registration, plus a TX DMV Form 141, Trailer Verification Statement of Fact.

She now has all the forms required for her October 3 registration appointment. She was able to snag a cancellation. Otherwise, it would be out into November for Austin/Travis County.

73/gus
Here in TX it depends on the DMV office you go to and even the person you talk to in the office.

I registered mine in Kingsville last year and was in and out of there in 15min. Furnished the Mfg origin statement and the bill of sale. Paid the tax(ouch) and had my plate. No mention of imported or anything else.

There's a thread here somewhere of similar TX stories. Perhaps I should say, Many different stories encountered at TX DMV.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I never did call and ask what I should do, I just walked into the DMV and said I wanted to register my trailer.

Who knows what it would be like if I did the same thing today.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #171

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Here in TX it depends on the DMV office you go to and even the person you talk to in the office.
The TX DMV official information is:
Foreign vehicles
Buying Trailer

Last summer, we had to do everything except for the VTR-141 form and the initial safety inspection.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #172

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post

73/gus
Austin/Travis county explained it all to me! Almost as difficult to work with as Houston/Harris county or Dallas/Dallas county. Just about any other county in the state and you'll not encounter issues. Sounds crazy but the basic rules/laws for the minimum requirements are established state wide but the counties are free to add on additional requirements such as the inspection. Counties with smaller populations do not have as much issue with stolen campers or forged documents and therefore are less stringent.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote