Hows the refrig in the new 2017 21' doing? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Hows the refrig in the new 2017 21' doing?

Before I plan a long camping trip including some boondocking on my long journey home from Chilliwack I am wondering what others are experiencing with the new refrigerator and freezer in the 21' 2017s. Any advice?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had no issue with the RM2554 cooling, yet. It has only been on while less than 80 degrees. Will let you know when I venture out in hot weather on way to Osoyoos.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
At the setting 3 (1-5, 5 being coldest) and on 120v, the refrigerator is holding 38 deg. and the freezer is holding 14 deg. That is with 80 deg, outside temps. If I set the fridge colder (4 or 5), it will begin to freeze stuff in the refrigerator.

If I run it on propane, it gets a little colder on setting 3 but still doesn't freeze the lettuce in the refrigerator. 12v - the ice cream will melt in the freezer.

So, if you are in a place with 120v, it works fine on electric. If boondocking or traveling, I would run it on propane. If you can't run propane while traveling, 12v works but it is only a matter of time before everything in the freezer melts.

I use this to monitor temps:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986.../dp/B004QJVU78

The remote will pick up the temps from my TV. It's great to be assured that the freezer/fridge is still good while traveling. Just be sure to use lithium batteries - the alkaline's stop working at freezer temps.
Attached Thumbnails
AcuRite.jpg  
Old 03-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
At the setting 3 (1-5, 5 being coldest) and on 120v, the refrigerator is holding 38 deg. and the freezer is holding 14 deg. That is with 80 deg, outside temps. If I set the fridge colder (4 or 5), it will begin to freeze stuff in the refrigerator.

If I run it on propane, it gets a little colder on setting 3 but still doesn't freeze the lettuce in the refrigerator. 12v - the ice cream will melt in the freezer.

So, if you are in a place with 120v, it works fine on electric. If boondocking or traveling, I would run it on propane. If you can't run propane while traveling, 12v works but it is only a matter of time before everything in the freezer melts.

I use this to monitor temps:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986.../dp/B004QJVU78

The remote will pick up the temps from my TV. It's great to be assured that the freezer/fridge is still good while traveling. Just be sure to use lithium batteries - the alkaline's stop working at freezer temps.
we have the same remote monitor system - love it.

yes, needs lithium batteries indeed.

and.... we have a 2017 21' - fridge freezer is great so far.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
That's interesting. In my current double-door RMD8555 the problem is with the fridge when the trailer is being towed; the freezer compartment works fine, even on 12V. The freezer was always okay in the original single-door fridge as well. These things are weird.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have that same accutemp wireless and use the lithium batteries. It's ok most of the time, but I've learned not to totally trust it. It will go off on it's own adventure sometimes and you have to take all the batteries out and let it clear, put them back in then it seems to get back to normal. I think sometimes the folks using this gauge think it's the fridge acting up when it's really the gauge and sensors.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We have that same accutemp wireless and use the lithium batteries. It's ok most of the time, but I've learned not to totally trust it. It will go off on it's own adventure sometimes and you have to take all the batteries out and let it clear, put them back in then it seems to get back to normal. I think sometimes the folks using this gauge think it's the fridge acting up when it's really the gauge and sensors.
I've had much the same problems with this monitor. I have to use a pin in the reset hole in the back of the receiver to get it back on track.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

Another reason to use a back up system, to verify your readings. I like Alf's manual model
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precis...or+thermometer
Attached Thumbnails
618YRPGGF+L._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Before I plan a long camping trip including some boondocking on my long journey home from Chilliwack I am wondering what others are experiencing with the new refrigerator and freezer in the 21' 2017s. Any advice?
Nancy, so far we have had no problems with the frig or freezer at the 3 setting.
On this last trip to Quartz temps where between 60 and 70 some days overcast and others clear and brite. I positioned the trailer facing north to take advantage of the Suns East to West low southern horizon (roof on 5.0 slope towards the back). So we are having are lunch in the dinette when I here this a slight humming noise coming from the frig area, up until then I had never heard this noise. After further investigating discovered it was the external frig fan kicking in but frig temp remained perfect. I know the real test will be coming in a few months but its good to know the external frig fan kicks in.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #10

Tin, Do you have the optional fan option, if so there is a switch in the refer compartment that can be used to turn on/off the fan if need be.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tin, Do you have the optional fan option, if so there is a switch in the refer compartment that can be used to turn on/off the fan if need be.
Hi cpaharley, Yes We have the optional fan and yes it was the first thing I noticed during the investigating process (my ears are not what they used to be) I also noticed the insulation packed around the side real nice and of course the fan up high doing its job. I thought about turning it off but decided it would be better to leave it alone, especially since we had a box of ice cream sandwiches in the freezer. But as a mental note, I will have to find out what kind of thermal devise is used to regulate fan and if it is adjustable ? Humm and then do field test to determine best settings. On a side note I am trying to do everything on the down low D.W is starting to notice her honey do's are not on the same priority list since bring our trailer home.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
So you would recommend the fridge fan?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #13
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
So you would recommend the fridge fan?
Hi Fox hunt, I think it depends on how and were you plan on using your trailer. For us the decision was easy because of our location (So Cal). We enjoy camping in the south west during winter months and the Sierras/Rockies and all along the west coast during the summer. All the above have the potential for hot conditions. It's a major bummer if you start to experience frig problems and I will do almost anything to avoid such.
Tin
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
Tin

I would also add for $175-25%=$131.125, not really to bad for insurance and piece of mind of course this is no guaranty things still can go wrong but then I will just look D.W. in the eye shrug my shoulders and mutter Reaces name JK
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
If you camp where it's hot, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #16

The factory fan option is better than trying to add later on.....when you find out you need one.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Didn't someone have a refrigerator/freezer monitor that recorded temperatures so that you could look back over time to see if there was any temperature fluctuations while you were away from the trailer? Anyone know of or use such a device? We're fine using a simple old-fashioned thermometer while we're in and around the campsite. We're more interested in knowing what happened inside the fridge while we were away and unable to hear any alarms and such.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Didn't someone have a refrigerator/freezer monitor that recorded temperatures so that you could look back over time to see if there was any temperature fluctuations while you were away from the trailer? Anyone know of or use such a device? We're fine using a simple old-fashioned thermometer while we're in and around the campsite. We're more interested in knowing what happened inside the fridge while we were away and unable to hear any alarms and such.
The SensorPush along with an app for your phone or tablet will provide hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or yearly graphs of temperature & humidity. Additional sensors can be added if you want both freezer & refrigerator temperatures. I got mine from Amazon.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The SensorPush along with an app for your phone or tablet will provide hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or yearly graphs of temperature & humidity. Additional sensors can be added if you want both freezer & refrigerator temperatures. I got mine from Amazon.
Another vote for SensorPush; it's pretty handy. It uses Bluetooth to send data to a cellphone or tablet. The first sensor they sent me was a dud, but they sent another one free of charge.

My goal is to use my Android tablet mounted in my truck to do the following when I'm towing:

1. Monitor fridge temps with SensorPush-- works
2. Map my route with CoPilot-- works
3. See out the rear of my trailer with RVS' wifi camera -- doesn't work; dead transmitter replaced, but also have a dead camera
4. Monitor my trailer tire pressure with Fobo's Bluetooth tire pressure monitor -- works, so far

So I'm almost there.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
My goal is to use my Android tablet mounted in my truck to do the following when I'm towing:

1. Monitor fridge temps with SensorPush-- works
2. Map my route with CoPilot-- works
3. See out the rear of my trailer with RVS' wifi camera -- doesn't work; dead transmitter replaced, but also have a dead camera
4. Monitor my trailer tire pressure with Fobo's Bluetooth tire pressure monitor -- works, so far

So I'm almost there.
Got a monitor for what's in front of you? Or do you look through the windshield?