Humidity issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita SD 2014
Humidity issues

I have been having humidity issues and use a 32 pt dehumidifier to live in the Rv full time. Recently, I was told that one cannot live inside a small fiberglass trailer due to the limited airspace being a constant issue. Any thoughts?

I bought the fiberglass thinking I would avoid my allergy and illness that may surface in a stick frame build. Not I am not so sure if this was a good idea.
chelsea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I fail to see why you cannot live in a small RV full time. Many do. It helps if you open the vent fan an inch or so at night. Most of the humidity comes from the moisture you exhale. With the dehumidifier, I would think you would be OK.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Can't speak for Florida humidity, but have had luck with bath vent open 1/4 to full, depending on conditions. Tried leaving blinds up about 1" from window bottom and had dry windows this am.

Good luck.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Air exchange is necessary no matter what you live in and some areas such as the south require more preparation than mountain areas. It can be done but you need to take steps. You may need a larger unit, such as a 19' or 21' Escape that has more windows and ventilation than your Casita. The MaxxFan can be left on non stop to provide the needed air exchange. But humidity is caused by your locale, so you may have to relocate to less humid places. This is why you have wheels on your home, so you can follow nature as the seasons change.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Before buying my trailer I asked Escape if their trailers were suitable for full-time use. I was told no; the trailer needs time to "air out" between uses. Apparently full-time use can cause problems with the trailer, presumably from constant humidity. In fact, I believe that full-time use can void the Escape warranty, though I didn't bother to check this again before posting.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What Jim said. Full timing in a small fiberglass trailer IS doable, but you need to address the air circulation and drying issue for sure. In the PNW we had to use a dehumidifier and keep the Maxx Fan on exhaust to stay relatively dry. Luckily, this was a trip and not spent all in one place. On our journey we hit high humidity and low humidity areas, which gave the trailer a better chance to dry out. The point about size is also well taken. Generally a larger interior volume means more air, and less impact on the interior humidity from the occupants.

On FGRV there are several people who full time in a tiny trailer, like a Boler or a Casita 13. You just have to do things differently.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Can't speak for Florida humidity, but have had luck with bath vent open 1/4 to full, depending on conditions. Tried leaving blinds up about 1" from window bottom and had dry windows this am.

Good luck.
Quite frankly, I am a bit surprised that the OP is having humidity problems in spite of running a 32 pint dehumidifier. Humidity in Florida is generally a "summer" issue; the humidity gets heavy around the middle of May and stays until October. When I had my Scamp, while stored, I ran a 30 pint dehumidifier inside (under an RV carport, out of direct sunlight) and did not have to turn the control so that it ran constantly. Had I done that the inside would have gotten too dry. I kept the humidity between 35% and 40%. I actually had the dehumidifier on the counter top next to the sink, and instead of using the dehumidifier's internal reservoir, I ran a hose to the sink and allowed and water to drain through the gray water tank.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I don't "full-time", I do take long trips - the last one 305 days. I have the advantage that there is only one of me, and I don't cook inside, other than to make a 5 cup pot of coffee each morning in a drip coffee maker. I generally run the Max fan on low all the time with one of the front side windows cracked, even when running my electric cube heater or furnace. I've also added a piece of Dry Mesh (which doesn't seem to be available anymore in the US) under my mattress which helps. I do admit I've spent little time in the ultra humid South but good air circulation does help with condensation from cold weather & might help with high humidity.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
....good air circulation does help with condensation from cold weather & might help with high humidity.
That's spot on. I recall one evening the wife cooked Spaghetti and while I was sitting in the dinette I reached back and touched the window, only to find it soaked. She hadn't opened the kitchen window and turned on the Maxx Fan. Once we did that, the trailer dried out quickly. I leave the fan on low, and a window slightly open, most if not all the time.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea2 View Post
I have been having humidity issues and use a 32 pt dehumidifier to live in the Rv full time. Recently, I was told that one cannot live inside a small fiberglass trailer due to the limited airspace being a constant issue. Any thoughts?

I bought the fiberglass thinking I would avoid my allergy and illness that may surface in a stick frame build. Not I am not so sure if this was a good idea.
if you have to cook inside, the exhaust fan on the stove will help. You basically have to keep moving the air out of the trailer using a window or two and Maxx fan or similar.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote