Hyper-vent needed?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Question Hyper-vent needed??

Waiting for our E-21 to be finished..seems long wait no matter what. I have been folowing several threads on a couple of forums and Holly & I got to wondering...

WE ordered our E-21 w the thermo-pane tinted windows and the 'insulation pkg' as options, but we are still concerned about 'condensation issues' we read about. What is the latest opinion regarding adding 'hyper-vent' layering under the bed? Anything better? Is it really needed? What about adding an optional vent in one of the 2 interior doors UNDER the foot of the bed?? Any real help appreciated.

F&H
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just ask to make the mattress 2" smaller so that you have air space along the street side wall, that would be the only place you may have some. With a vented window and the maxxfan on low you can minimize winter condensation. Framed windows will also frost up and drip, frameless does not. Air circulation is you friend with condensation in the winter.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Hi, Fred and Holly. Like any other “is it really necessary” question, the answer is almost always “it depends”. Necessity of Hypervent or other mattress ventilation depends on where, when and how you camp. For some it’s completely unnecessary, for others it’s super useful. For us, we use every trick to prevent mold and mildew, including Hypervent and we even have two fans mounted under that to draw air around and under the mattress into the storage space under the bed where we have an electric dehumidifier. This would be overkill for others, but we’re very happy to have it in conditions we frequent in winter.

This is our setup:

Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #4

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I put reflectix and hypervent under the mattress of my new 19 right away as I wanted to be reasonably sure that there would be no condensation under the mattress. After a few weeks of living in the trailer in cold weather, I noticed that I was getting moisture around the edges of the mattress. So, I got more hypervent and put it around the edges as well. This has worked out well for the past year.

So, the advice to have the mattress cut smaller may also eliminate the condensation around the edges. I had not thought of that before ordering.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
I put reflectix and hypervent under the mattress of my new 19 right away as I wanted to be reasonably sure that there would be no condensation under the mattress. After a few weeks of living in the trailer in cold weather, I noticed that I was getting moisture around the edges of the mattress. So, I got more hypervent and put it around the edges as well. This has worked out well for the past year.

So, the advice to have the mattress cut smaller may also eliminate the condensation around the edges. I had not thought of that before ordering.

Once upon a time the mattresses were sized to fit the available space fully. I believe all new mattresses are now already sized to afford a one inch gap around the perimeter. Might be worth checking with ETI to be sure.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Trailer: ?
We use a waterproof mattress cover. Keeps moisture away from the mattress, plus bed bugs if that is an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus I cut strips of this water resistant, insulated, camping ground pad and placed them between the mattress and the exterior wall.
Use the same material between the dinette cushions and the exterior wall.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Venture-P...ll&athena=true

So far, no moisture related issues. But then, we don’t camp in the Pacific Northwet like some do and as pointed out, location does make a difference.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote