Hypervent and sweating? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: coming
Hypervent and sweating?

Do you need hypervent, for moisture under the mattress? Is warmth and moisture an issue even with the extra insulation? How about the rest of the trailer?
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Do you need hypervent, for moisture under the mattress? Is warmth and moisture an issue even with the extra insulation? How about the rest of the trailer?

I haven't had a problem. Don't have extra installation. Open a vent if you are occupying the trailer ( or stop breathing ).
Old 10-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do not need the hypervent, it is just somewhat can prevent an issue that could arise. Using your camper in moderate temps will not cause any issues, it is the extreme use that can. Need vs want are a constant battle.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
You live and will probably camp in more moisture than us, freeride, however we have been up and down the Washington and Oregon coasts several times. We do not use hypervent. When in camp, we always have the stove vent and the bathroom vent open. Just enough air flow to prevent condensation. When it is cold, we run the furnace. Just like Glenn, never a moisture issue.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have hypervent cut for the 17b and never bother to use it if anyone wants a good deal on the stuff.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #6

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Well, I can only relate my own experience. I put the material under my mattress in my 19 along with a layer of reflectix and have had no condensation problems. Over the past couple of weeks, however, night time temps have dropped into the 20s. So, I checked again this morning and the underside of the mattress is fine... dry. Around the sides of the mattress, however, I found moisture on the walls :-( So, moisture is condensing on the cold walls (I have the extra insulation but it still isn't much). The mattress in the 19 is a pretty tight fit to the walls so little or no air circulates between the mattress and the walls. So, I'm going to add hypervent (Actually Aire Flow which is the same stuff) between the mattress sides and the walls. It will be a tight fit but should hopefully work OK. By the way, relative humidity in the trailer is only around 40% so it's not real humid. But, those walls are cold so below the dew point. So, if you plan to camp in cold outside temps, using the hypervent may be a good idea. I will be full timing so trailer will be in continuous use. If just used for weekends or vacations, maybe not an issue as you can dry out any moisture when you get home.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Ok I've read about all of the hyper vent, etc. We have a thing rug material under the bed and insulation in the walls. We went camping in the cold for first time and the walls were sweating, big time around the mattress and the seat cushions. The outside was about upper 40's to 50's. We had a window cracked or the vent open. We ran the heater on about 68. Why are we having such a problem? Can't lower the heater , we have old dogs on the floor. Any ideas? Makes me wonder if the insulation really got put in the walls...….yikes.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Ok I've read about all of the hyper vent, etc. We have a thing rug material under the bed and insulation in the walls. We went camping in the cold for first time and the walls were sweating, big time around the mattress and the seat cushions. The outside was about upper 40's to 50's. We had a window cracked or the vent open. We ran the heater on about 68. Why are we having such a problem? Can't lower the heater , we have old dogs on the floor. Any ideas? Makes me wonder if the insulation really got put in the walls...….yikes.
Did you get the foam spray underneath the trailer option, that will help with the floors being warmer. With the 21 there are really only 2 walls subject to sweating. Pull the mattress away and let air circulate along the side wall. With the Maxxfan on low and exhaust it should be fine.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
We get condensation in those areas, but it usually has to be much colder outside. Was the relative humidity high inside the trailer from cooking, showering, etc.? To get sweating your wall surface temperature is below the dew point of the inside air.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
There are 2 things that I do every trip. Open bathroom window 1/2” or so and run max fan on low setting. The only time the fan is off is if the door is open. 5 years, over 200 nights and no problems with sweating. I’ll admit that most of my camping has been east coast with lower overall humidity than the great north wet. (Or west)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
We have been in our Escape for the past 2 months and we have condensation where any item touches an exterior wall. This includes mattress(foam), cushions, and items such as clothing, linens, etc in the overhead cabinets. We usually have the overhead vent partially open and run an electric heater at night. We have also been running a small Gurin dehumidifier for the past month. (Can’t really see that it helps.). We have been in Arizona and the inside humidity levels are usually around 50% and the nightime temps in mid to upper 30’s. We did not get the foam underneath the trailer, but did get the extra insulation and thermal windows. Another owner suggested that we needed to use our propane furnace, which we tried for part of one night, but prefer electric. We also tried using the max fan during the night, but didn’t see much difference. I don’t mind having to wipe down the walls each morning, but really hate that I have to be so careful in the overhead cabinets. We did purchase hypervent for bed. On really cold (below freezing) mornings, frost forms on the outside of the trailer where items are touching the walls on the inside, such as cushions, mattress etc.
Mtn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have never had the problems you describe over the last 4.5 years. Don't use hypervent, however trimmed our custom mattress back away from the outside walls, but they don't get moisture. We do camp down to the 20's F, yet the only issue is some condensation on the thermal windows.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn1203 View Post
We have been in our Escape for the past 2 months and we have condensation where any item touches an exterior wall. This includes mattress(foam), cushions, and items such as clothing, linens, etc in the overhead cabinets. We usually have the overhead vent partially open and run an electric heater at night. We have also been running a small Gurin dehumidifier for the past month. (Can’t really see that it helps.). We have been in Arizona and the inside humidity levels are usually around 50% and the nightime temps in mid to upper 30’s. We did not get the foam underneath the trailer, but did get the extra insulation and thermal windows. Another owner suggested that we needed to use our propane furnace, which we tried for part of one night, but prefer electric. We also tried using the max fan during the night, but didn’t see much difference. I don’t mind having to wipe down the walls each morning, but really hate that I have to be so careful in the overhead cabinets. We did purchase hypervent for bed. On really cold (below freezing) mornings, frost forms on the outside of the trailer where items are touching the walls on the inside, such as cushions, mattress etc.
Where are you in Arizona? We to are off of San Joaquin rd outside of Tucson. Have been here since middle of November. Also run an electric heater . It has been down to 28 at night, have some minor sweating in the front drivers side corner. But very minor. We keep the stove vent, max fan cover open and also bathroom vent. Open your cabinet doors on really cold nights, it help keep the cabinets dry. This is our second year here and have not had as much problem as you are reporting. We have a 2016 21, extra insulation, thermal windows and foam underneath.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #14

Just curious if you use electric heater or propane furnace?
Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Where are you in Arizona? We to are off of San Joaquin rd outside of Tucson. Have been here since middle of November. Also run an electric heater . It has been down to 28 at night, have some minor sweating in the front drivers side corner. But very minor. We keep the stove vent, max fan cover open and also bathroom vent. Open your cabinet doors on really cold nights, it help keep the cabinets dry.
We spent the past monthe halfway between Benson and Sierra Vista.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

Makes no difference. Propane combustion takes place outside the trailer and no moisture or other gases enter the trailer.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Makes no difference. Propane combustion takes place outside the trailer and no moisture or other gases enter the trailer.
That is good news, as we much prefer our electric heater. We love the trailer, but the condensation is annoying.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Where are you in Arizona? We to are off of San Joaquin rd outside of Tucson. Have been here since middle of November. Also run an electric heater . It has been down to 28 at night, have some minor sweating in the front drivers side corner. But very minor. We keep the stove vent, max fan cover open and also bathroom vent. Open your cabinet doors on really cold nights, it help keep the cabinets dry.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Electric heater. Propane furnace set at 58. Has not come on yet. Maybe tonight, supposed to be 26 tonight.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looking at the Gurin dehumidifier, if I looked at the right one it only pulls in 8 oz (2 pint) of water in 24 hrs, @ 80% rh. We run a 15 pt when it starts getting damp in the trailer, and we have power, works like a charm.

The downside is it produces heat, which is okay when you want it but not so good when you don't. You also need to store it somewhere. Ours happens to fit in the 5.0TA step.

I have on occasion run the dehumidifier and the AC at the same time.