I need some electrical help…. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I need some electrical help….

I hit a snag in my quest to install an electric wall heater tonite. I purchased a Woods in wall 8 hour timer to operate the 1000 watt wall heater.
I was planning on tapping into a 120v outlet nearby and run the black/white/ground over to another outlet for the timer install. The instructions talk about 4 wires to hook up. These instructions refer to removing a switch and replacing it with this timer. Thus there are 2 black wires,(one hot and one not), 2 white wires, and a ground.
I have a black,white, red and a ground from my switch.
The instructions illustrate all the whites together and the ground to the box. I understand this much. Now it gets harry, it says to attach the black wire to the hot black and the red wire to the other black wire?
But I only have one black(hot), one white and one ground available because I'm not replacing a switch but attempting to install one? Do I just attach the red and black together to my one black lead?
Anyone have any ideas, is the similar to one of those illuminated switches where the 2 leads are connected to have the red light go on when the switch is on? Thanks for any help
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I hit a snag in my quest to install an electric wall heater tonite. I purchased a Woods in wall 8 hour timer to operate the 1000 watt wall heater.
I was planning on tapping into a 120v outlet nearby and run the black/white/ground over to another outlet for the timer install. The instructions talk about 4 wires to hook up. These instructions refer to removing a switch and replacing it with this timer. Thus there are 2 black wires,(one hot and one not), 2 white wires, and a ground.
I have a black,white, red and a ground from my switch.
The instructions illustrate all the whites together and the ground to the box. I understand this much. Now it gets harry, it says to attach the black wire to the hot black and the red wire to the other black wire?
But I only have one black(hot), one white and one ground available because I'm not replacing a switch but attempting to install one? Do I just attach the red and black together to my one black lead?
Anyone have any ideas, is the similar to one of those illuminated switches where the 2 leads are connected to have the red light go on when the switch is on? Thanks for any help

Logically: Existing box ------Switch------New outlet

From your hot (feed - existing) outlet you have black-A (hot), white, ground.
From/to the new outlet you need black-B (hot when the timer is on), white, ground.
From the timer you have red, black, white, ground

Make all the connections in the new timer box. (At least logically, you could install a new 2 gang box with the timer and new outlet in it.)

Connect all the whites together.
Connect all the grounds together and to the box(if metal).
Connect the switch black to black-A.
Connect the switch red to black-B.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Doug, Thanks for responding, I think I got it now, my other black is the black to the heater to which I connect the red from switch and the hot black goes to black on switch. Thanks again, I now realize I do have 2 black leads, one hot and one to my heater.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Doug, Thanks for responding, I think I got it now, my other black is the black to the heater to which I connect the red from switch and the hot black goes to black on switch. Thanks again, I now realize I do have 2 black leads, one hot and one to my heater.
You got it.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote