identity theft - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #61

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
After watching 60 minutes tonight I had a question because program got me thinking . Anyone can join the forum ? So a unethical person would know what and where all the trailers are located ? If they came to your home and you are supposed to have this trailer and it isn't there , you probably aren't home ? What are others thoughts on this ? Pat
Honestly if you park your trailer at your house...everyone in the neighborhood knows when you are gone. An unethical person on this forum coming to your house is highly unlikely.

But at the same time, when your car isn't in your driveway...most likely you aren't home.

In CA, it is not uncommon for a grieving family's residence to be burglarized during the funeral especially if the death was on the news.

Social media also contributes. When we go on a trip NO ONE knows until we get back..if at all. Broadcasting your plans is setting yourself up to say hey...I'm going to (insert destination for a week) feel free to burglarize my house.

Identity theft is totally something different.

We fly "way under" the radar...something that was engrained into lives for a reason

I hope this answers your question.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the summer it's not unusual for burglars to enter a home through an open window or unlocked sliding glass door, etc. AND the owners are home and asleep. Frankly, I'd rather be gone and out camping if they're coming into my home. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
This thread has been an interesting read. I bring my perspective of having just retired from my 18 years of work in the Canadian justice system. I know that other forum members also have similar work experience.

Yes there are very smart criminals out there. I've met a few of them. But, I sincerely doubt that the truly smart nefarious criminal types are lurking around our forum in order to learn when they can do a B/E. Those guys are too busy running their crews.

Yes there are smart street level criminals doing B/Es but again it is highly unlikely they are lurking. They are too busy trying to get the $ for their next high. ID theft is another thing. Same as the basic precautions we take when leaving for our holidays. Frankly, I'm more concerned about posting pictures of my grandchildren on Facebook where a sex offender could take a fancy and begin to collect information.

Our property protection is unique because we live with our children and up till now we take alternating away dates. For one, we are stuck with feeding their cats so we stay home when they are away.

I'd say we should all just be thoughtful and, on this Forum, only share whatever personal information we are comfortable with being out there on the Net.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Somebody borrowed my credit card
numbers a few years ago. They bought three plane tickets, two to Turkey and one across Turkey. $2700. I paid nothing, my visa provider took
care of getting me a new card. Months later a $2700 credit appeared on my monthly bill. They had been caught and made restitution. Once we got that straightened out, my new card was again compromised at the local Walmart. Again no problem. I got too much going on to worry about some lightweight thieves. Remember, you can leave a pick axe on any job site and it will be there the next day,
Nobody will steal something that is work to operate.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Frankly, I'm more concerned about posting pictures of my grandchildren on Facebook where a sex offender could take a fancy and begin to collect information.

Larry
I think the statistics show that the perp is more likely to be a family member, so they'd probably have their own pictures from Thanksgiving.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Yea, the offender is likely someone the victim knows, like a relative.
The other kind also exists.
For my money, although I post on it, Facebook can be a dangerous place
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #67

I've almost completed unfollowing most of the people posting on my Facebook. If I get bored, I've got 27 'friends' that are waiting approval. Then I can unfollow them.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've almost completed unfollowing most of the people posting on my Facebook. If I get bored, I've got 27 'friends' that are waiting approval. Then I can unfollow them.
Reminds me of the anti Mr Rogers "could you not be mine"
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The OPs original question isn't about identity theft. It's about social engineering attacks and crimes that leverage social media.

These are real concerns, no doubt. Criminals evolve in their methods as society evolves. With the web being so universal, and with so much information readily available, it's relatively easy to become a victim if proper precautions aren't taken.

I deal with securing PII/SPI every day. It's part of my job as a cyber security professional. Securing this information does include not providing PII on social media sites and forums. Most of the recommended precautions fall under what I'd call common sense.

But, to the original point, you also have to look at not just what information you provide, but how likely it is that the information could be misused. So, on the subject of using an owner's map, which is very non specific, to conclude that an owner isn't home because their trailer isn't there? This is a serious reply to the question. The serious reply is that there's little to no threat here.

You are hundreds of times more likely to fall victim to credit card fraud or real identity theft from the breach of your PII, than to be burglarized because your trailer is on the owners map.

On a side note, it may appear that a reply of "I choose not to live in fear" is just a statement and not an answer, or that it's flippant. I consider it just the opposite. I consider it an informed opinion, based on risk analysis and likely outcomes. As such, I heartily agree. One could be struck by lightning when it's raining, so one possible precaution would be to avoid the rain at all costs. A more informed approach would be not to avoid the rain, but to avoid a lightning storm while standing on a hill and holding up a golf club.

Cyber security is no different.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #70

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The OPs original question isn't about identity theft. It's about social engineering attacks and crimes that leverage social media.

These are real concerns, no doubt. Criminals evolve in their methods as society evolves. With the web being so universal, and with so much information readily available, it's relatively easy to become a victim if proper precautions aren't taken.

I deal with securing PII/SPI every day. It's part of my job as a cyber security professional. Securing this information does include not providing PII on social media sites and forums. Most of the recommended precautions fall under what I'd call common sense.

But, to the original point, you also have to look at not just what information you provide, but how likely it is that the information could be misused. So, on the subject of using an owner's map, which is very non specific, to conclude that an owner isn't home because their trailer isn't there? This is a serious reply to the question. The serious reply is that there's little to no threat here.

You are hundreds of times more likely to fall victim to credit card fraud or real identity theft from the breach of your PII, than to be burglarized because your trailer is on the owners map.

On a side note, it may appear that a reply of "I choose not to live in fear" is just a statement and not an answer, or that it's flippant. I consider it just the opposite. I consider it an informed opinion, based on risk analysis and likely outcomes. As such, I heartily agree. One could be struck by lightning when it's raining, so one possible precaution would be to avoid the rain at all costs. A more informed approach would be not to avoid the rain, but to avoid a lightning storm while standing on a hill and holding up a golf club.

I got it Robert but I also was thinking about information on where these trailers are located . These trailers are becoming more of interest including low life's . Brings in more money then stick built trailers I am sure . That was my main concern . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #71

What's PII/SPI?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #72

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
I didn't spend a lot of time on this. I just looked at the map, picked out a likely marker ( your profile says 17B and Santa Fe and that you are in Nanaimo ). You also said in your post that you are one of two houses on your block. I found where your marker currently is and then went to Street View to look around nearby. Found the trailer that I posted ( not yours. but I'm guessing near yours ).
People do reveal a lot of info if a bad guy has the time to spend sleuthing, but as posted above, there are easier ways to go about it. I spent about five minutes looking. There are two other 17Bs north of Nanaimo, but I didn't bother looking at them.
That was very interesting Glenn how you tried to figure that out. I went through the same steps you described but darn if I could find that house. I guess for the time being I'm still safe from an unexpected visit from you.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
That was very interesting Glenn how you tried to figure that out. I went through the same steps you described but darn if I could find that house. I guess for the time being I'm still safe from an unexpected visit from you.
Hi: sunrisetrucker... Anybody that steals my identity is welcome to it... as long as they take my debts also!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
What's PII/SPI?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers...le_information
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

Other than all that techo-geek stuff, a good summary of the risks and situation here as I see them too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I got it Robert but I also was thinking about information on where these trailers are located . These trailers are becoming more of interest including low life's . Brings in more money then stick built trailers I am sure . That was my main concern . Pat
I used to think that concerns about trailer theft were misplaced, but I recently found out otherwise. Last week I met a Canadian couple returning from Texas to Montreal. They are full-timers. The man told me that a few years ago they lived in a fifth-wheel trailer pulled by a Ram 2500. One day he went into a store in Drummond and when he came out his truck and trailer were gone, along with all of their possessions. He reported the theft to the police and waited to see if they would recover them.

After some time passed the cops told him that the theft was probably organized crime and that the truck and trailer were likely on containers somewhere, not to be seen in Canada again.

The couple now travels in a Bigfoot, which is a nice trailer btw. I was impressed with it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #77

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Is it not true that if you never share anything as "Public" or "Friends of friends" on Facebook, your information/pictures are only seen by people you know (assuming you never accept friend requests from people you don't know)? Or am I naive to think Facebook's privacy settings actually work as advertised?

(Sorry, Pat - I know Fb isn't the object of your question, but the discussion has pulled it in and now I am curious.)
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #78

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Is it not true that if you never share anything as "Public" or "Friends of friends" on Facebook, your information/pictures are only seen by people you know (assuming you never accept friend requests from people you don't know)? Or am I naive to think Facebook's privacy settings actually work as advertised?

(Sorry, Pat - I know Fb isn't the object of your question, but the discussion has pulled it in and now I am curious.)
Mary good question because we do Facebook too . Am also interested in answers . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #79

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
The thread is labeled identity theft, but seemed geared toward possible burglary of the house while gone on vacation. Now it has veered toward theft of the trailer itself. From what I've seen there are many ways to protect your trailer from theft or at least make it harder to steal though nothing is foolproof and all discussed in many other places on the forum.

There has only been one Escape Trailer theft that has been listed on the forum here; http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...rrey-3988.html. I do wonder if it has ever been found.

Protect yourself as you see fit. Insure your house, car and trailer against loss from accident and theft and then live your life. Fear is a terrible thing to live with and as others have pointed out why bother living that way.
Steven M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #80

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Now that I have read this thread, a new ad banner appears at the top of the page for me from "Identity Guard" Doesn't take 'em long!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote