indoor / outdoor thermometer installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 19'
If you put the sensor inside the propane cover or storage box the reading will be "off" because it will take a bit for it to be the same temperature as outside... we store the sensor in the front box but take it out and leave it on the jack stand when we camp, and because it's right there when we hitch up we won't forget to take it with us..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimStan View Post
I installed some industrial velcro on the sensor and I mount it on the frame under the camper when camping and remove it when on the road. You might also look at a unit that will tell you both inside and outside relative humidity, which I find essential for managing humidity in the trailer.

ambientweather.com is a good site for such units.
Thanks for the idea and the reference. That might be the only way to do it for accuracy.

I visited Moscow on my last trip out west and really liked the town. Tell the folks in the gem shop I said hello. And the rattlesnake they keep in one of their display boxes.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimStan View Post
I installed some industrial velcro on the sensor and I mount it on the frame under the camper when camping and remove it when on the road. You might also look at a unit that will tell you both inside and outside relative humidity, which I find essential for managing humidity in the trailer.

ambientweather.com is a good site for such units.
I used a liberal amount of epoxy and attached a rare earth magnet to the back of the sensor. I also remove it when traveling, but when I have had a senile moment and forgotten to do so, it has never fallen off; rare earth magnets are extremely strong! When attached to steel, it is easier to remove than it would be with Velcro. But I do use Velcro to attach the inside unit (and a clock) to the fiberglass area over the door as there only need to be removed when their batteries die, which is much more infrequently than travel to different locations.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #24

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We use velcro to hang the sensor in the LP tank compartment in our 5.0. After over 15,000 miles it's still hanging there.

The sensor is within 1-3 degrees F of the temperature my phone app will show for the area. We're just looking for an idea of the temp, not expecting zero error for scientific experiments.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-13-2020, 07:47 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We use velcro to hang the sensor in the LP tank compartment in our 5.0. After over 15,000 miles it's still hanging there.

The sensor is within 1-3 degrees F of the temperature my phone app will show for the area. We're just looking for an idea of the temp, not expecting zero error for scientific experiments.

Enjoy,

Perry
That is my reasoning, it has been on the tanks for 8 years and 4 different Escapes...
Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
Mike Lewis:

I will say hello to the rattlesnake for you... By the way, we grew up in the South and have spent quite a bit of time down in your territory on the gulf coast over the decades before and after moving to Idaho. My heart aches for hurricane ravaged Port St. Joe (one of our favorite places). I recall when there were less than 10 houses on the entire length of Cape San Blas. There's nothing like camping on the gulf, frying up a grouper sandwich and boiling some 16 to the pound gulf shrimp for dinner.
MimStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
So I got my $15 hi/lo indoor outdoor thermometer... Secured the outdoor sender to the propane tank clamp with a loose tiewrap. The indoor temp seems slow to track changes....
Attached Thumbnails
i-JH74sHR-X4.jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Seems like every place you might consider moving has its ups and downs,
Attached Thumbnails
Temp Jan 13.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 02:33 AM   #29
Site Team

So I got my $15 hi/lo indoor outdoor thermometer... Secured the outdoor sender to the propane tank clamp with a loose tiewrap. The indoor temp seems slow to track changes....
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #30

Trailer: coming
Ours is installed under the propane cover. Wrap it in a ziplock bag for protection and ziptie it to one of the electrical harnesses.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Ours is installed under the propane cover. Wrap it in a ziplock bag for protection and ziptie it to one of the electrical harnesses.
Not sure there are any electrical harness under the propane cover unless you are referring to underneath and below the tanks?
Old 01-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #32

Trailer: coming
Sure, the 7 pin harness heading toward the front, breakaway switch harness and on some, battery cables are usually in that area. Whatever looks solid.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Sure, the 7 pin harness heading toward the front, breakaway switch harness and on some, battery cables are usually in that area. Whatever looks solid.
thats not exactly 'under the propane cover', at least not in the sense I think of. maybe its below the cover. it also exposes the sensor to a lot of road debris flung off the tow vehicles tires, which a ziplog bag is hardly adequate protection from...

i'm gonna stick with my tie-wrapped to the propane tank clamp crossbar...
Old 01-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I put my 7-pin from the trailer into a latex glove and wrapped the wrist tight to keep out water. Hung the 7-pin over the frame.
A week later ( this is North Vancouver ) the glove looked like those worn by the Pillsbury Doughboy. It was full of water.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
5.0 Outdoor Thermometer

We have a 5.0 and the outdoor thermometer hangs on the clothes line where it is protected from the elements and gets put away before we hook up again.

I added eye bolts under the loft and string a bungee cord across.
Attached Thumbnails
Clothesline.jpg   Eye Bolt for clothesline.jpg   clothesling holding T-shirt - Sorry for What I Said.jpg  
Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Our weather station is very similar to yours. THe outside sensor has had several iterations of mounting, after the initial mfr's clip broke. We now just hang it by a thin cord and hook to our outside handle next to the door. That way, it's measuring air temperature in the shade (under the awning), and we don't forget it when we do our walk around prior to departing. Underway, it's inside in a catchall basket.
We've never used propane anywhere near fast enough to generate frost on the tank exterior, but it does get nicely cool sometimes.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I stand outside the trailer, wet my finger, and hold it up high. This gives me good temperature and wind readings. Oh, and I never leave it behind either.

I joke, but actually find that hanging around outside for the most part does let me know what the weather is like. If I need forecasts I use the Weather Network on my phone.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My phone has eliminated so many additional devices over the last few years. Now it has replaced my wallet. My daughter found these card holder things that glue on the back of the phone case and now hold my drivers license and ccards. No longer carry a wallet around, just keep track of the phone only. Awesome gadget, life is getting simpler.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote