Inside refrigerator fans - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I see this as a first world problem that will not diminish our enjoyment of camping in the Escape.
I couldn't agree more. I don't think these fridges are defective, they're probably operating within expected parameters given the various climatic conditions. If my beer isn't cold enough, I immediately transition to red wine.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #82
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Well, WD40 exists because the first 39 attempts weren't quite good enough......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is WD40 good for? White lithium grease is a excellent lubricant. Graphite is best for locks. There are products for breaking rust. What does WD40 excel at, other than smelling bad and lingering?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape
Absorption frig design restrictions.

When we look at the location of the LP burner, the 124V and 12V heating units, they are below the condenser heat exchanger. Combustion gases and hot air rising from the heat required to phase change the refrigerant inhibits the heat that must be dissipated by the condenser above, for the evaporator to absorb heat.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #85

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
[QUOTE=gbaglo;62024]What is WD40 good for? White lithium grease is a excellent lubricant. Graphite is best for locks. There are products for breaking rust. What does WD40 excel at, other than smelling bad and lingering?[/QUOTE

Displacing water from distributor caps (do they still have those) was the only thong I ever used it for.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #86

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is WD40 good for? White lithium grease is a excellent lubricant. Graphite is best for locks. There are products for breaking rust. What does WD40 excel at, other than smelling bad and lingering?
Gunking up firearms so they malfunction.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #87
Commercial Member

WD stands for Water Displacement. If you're not trying to lube something with water in the moving parts, you're using the wrong lube.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #88

Trailer: former owner-2014 5.0 TA #4 TV-Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
Texas Torture Test:
8/7
When I installed my Fridge-Fix fan, I thought I had found the answer to the cooling issue. Now that we have arrived in Texas (100 F), even the Fridge-Fix doesn't help. The temp in the bottom of the Dometic does not get down below 57 F.
8/8
Since most of my perishable food is now questionable, I decided to do another test. At 4:30am, I removed the freezer compartment unit to allow full cooling for the main area. I left the Fridge-Fix in and the fans on to maximize air circulation. By 7:00 AM the temp was 39 F. (looked promising) in the fridge Outside temp was 85F.

I have run the fridge on the maximum setting (120 AC) all day. It is now 2:50 pm and the outside temp in the shade is 105.5 F. The trailer has been shaded all day (trees) and I have been running the A/C, inside temp is 85 F and all cabinets are open. The temp inside the fridge is now 53.4 F

Doesn't look good for summer camping
rscovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #89

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I heard some people use WD40 to remove Coca Cola stains.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #90

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
When we look at the location of the LP burner, the 124V and 12V heating units, they are below the condenser heat exchanger. Combustion gases and hot air rising from the heat required to phase change the refrigerant inhibits the heat that must be dissipated by the condenser above, for the evaporator to absorb heat.
If the limiting factor in the fridge performance is the ability to dissipate heat from the condenser, especially in hot weather, then perhaps a design improvement might be to add a divider in the area behind the fridge so there are 2 distinct air columns, one to exhaust hot air from the burner and heating units, the other to absorb heat from the condenser.

I am also thinking that the performance of the larger 6.7 fridge could be worse than the 4.3, since there is more heat to dissipate. The air cavity is the same width and depth in both models, but taller for the 6.7.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #91
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
If the limiting factor in the fridge performance is the ability to dissipate heat from the condenser, especially in hot weather, then perhaps a design improvement might be to add a divider in the area behind the fridge so there are 2 distinct air columns, one to exhaust hot air from the burner and heating units, the other to absorb heat from the condenser.

I am also thinking that the performance of the larger 6.7 fridge could be worse than the 4.3, since there is more heat to dissipate. The air cavity is the same width and depth in both models, but taller for the 6.7.
Same thoughts here, the intent when I place exhaust fans at the roof vent will be to divide the airflow so as not to affect the burner flame and concentrate on the path across the external fins.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Adhesive removal
Old 08-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #93

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Adhesive removal
And water displacement I think that was the original purpose for WD 40

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post

Somewhere I saw a photograph of a Dometic refrigerator designed for hotter climates that had an pipe over the burner. Looked like a chimney that piped the heat to the upper grill on the trailer.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #95

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
A few posts ago I described my idea of re-wiring the Fridge Fix fans in series so they would run slower and quieter and maybe have less cooling effect on the thermistor. I gathered everything up today and headed off to the storage place where we keep the Escape with the intention of doing just that. I succeeded in taking the fans, switch, and fuse holder out of the plastic housing but after seeing the way it's set up, I decided to save it for another day. They're very nicely installed with computer style wire looms and connectors, and I would have to have done a lot of cutting and wiring to make the change. I decided to at least try the fans before proceeding.

I've read two or three instances, at least, on the forum of the Fridge Fix fans having a detrimental effect on fridge performance, including one from Reace. Some suspect that the fans are blowing too much cooled air over the thermistor, which causes the fridge to back off. I wonder if anyone would be willing to try placing a cotton ball or similar between the fins above the thermistor to see if that helps. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can reasonably try something like that. Just curious to see if there is an easy fix for this issue.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #96
Commercial Member

I don't have my 21 yet, but what about covering half of each fan with paper to cut the net airflow down?

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #97

I think it would be worth trying. It would be pretty easy to put a piece of masking tape across a few of the openings in the back of the fun unit.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #98

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The way the fans are constructed, it would be better to put a piece of tape over some of the rear holes to cut down on the amount going over the fins without reducing the intake, any excess should come out back thru the fan motors
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #99

I wonder if someone would like to do an experiment with their Fridge Fix fan. This is my next "to do" but I won't be able to try it for several days. Someone who has found the fans to be detrimental to fridge performance, how about putting masking tape across all the hole on the backside of the plastic housing, and then removing the plastic cap inserts on the ends? This should direct the air down the walls of the fridge, which will at least help mix things up, perhaps better than the typical accessory portable fans. If this helps in some way, I think it's worth keeping the fans. If not, I'm probably going to remove mine. Looking for an eager volunteer!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #100

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
So we are looking for a "fan fix for the fridge fix fan"!! Say that 10 time fast!