Inside refrigerator fans - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Inside refrigerator fans

I started a new thread on this topic because we have several refrigerator performance conversations blended together on several threads. I finished installing my fans inside my 4.3 Dometic unit today and wanted to show you the finished results. I built mine just to save a little money.

> The fans are mounted with tie wraps on plated steel bars, vibration insulated with punched, closed cell foam mountings about 3/4" from the cooling fins, angled slightly upward. The fans move 76 cfm of air total and pull .1 amps total.

> Power was provided by tying into the white supply wire from the light switch (+12Vdc) and a microswitch was added to turn it off and on. A hole was cut through the light switch cover to provide access to the microswitch.

Here is a short video of it operating...

Fan Operation - YouTube

I will share more info when I actually test it camping in a few weeks.

Steve

"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Steve,

Very nicely done. Great job on isolating them for vibration. Looks like you have the bottom of your freezer installed without the door. Is that just for the install of the fans or are you using that way?
Sure looks good!!
Dave

dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Steve,

Very nicely done. Great job on isolating them for vibration. Looks like you have the bottom of your freezer installed without the door. Is that just for the install of the fans or are you using that way?
Sure looks good!!
Dave
Thanks Dave. I had the freezer door installed during the pics and filming. I keep the freezer installed now always. You can barely see the screw heads in the hinges in the first picture with the fans.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Good job, Steve. I use the battery powered fan, which does do a good job, but is in the way a bit sometimes. I would prefer something more permanent, and out of the way, but I don't have 12V in my fridge. Should add it anyway, so I can get a light going too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Steve... can you please post some all important performance findings when you cool your refrigerator down. Outside ambient temps, inside fridge temps, with fans on and off, cool down time, and any additional conditions that may effect your results.
Thanks
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Steve... can you please post some all important performance findings when you cool your refrigerator down. Outside ambient temps, inside fridge temps, with fans on and off, cool down time, and any additional conditions that may effect your results.
Thanks
You must figure me for a engineer or something... ""have spreadsheet will travel"...let's see..cosine of the moon phase plus wine consumed divided by ambient pressure and # of beers left...$$##@@!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I was going to compliment you on for solution but thought..."I wonder if this has any positive improvement on our problem?" I'm guessing I am not alone on that thinking.
Down south here we call these kind of modifications "southern engineered." I'd like to know your results before I build or purchase mine from Fridge Fix.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
I was going to compliment you on for solution but thought..."I wonder if this has any positive improvement on our problem?" I'm guessing I am not alone on that thinking.
Down south here we call these kind of modifications "southern engineered." I'd like to know your results before I build or purchase mine from Fridge Fix.
Even if it offers no value at all, having another working electro-mechanical modification on my trailer is friggin great! ...of course, the spreadsheet data will sort it all out...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good job, Steve. I use the battery powered fan, which does do a good job, but is in the way a bit sometimes. I would prefer something more permanent, and out of the way, but I don't have 12V in my fridge. Should add it anyway, so I can get a light going too.
Jim, you can easily add 12 v to the interior by running wires through the grommet that houses the copper supply line. Then, from the outside access panel connect the wires to the junction block. This link should make it more clear.

Refrigerator Light
Old 07-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Awesome job, and super quiet too! I'm also interested in their performance vs the fridge fix, since I was pushing it so heavily based on Mama's hearsay.