Installation mistake on inside of bathroom window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Installation mistake on inside of bathroom window

Awhile ago I remember someone posted that the frame around the inside of their bathroom window had a gap at the top. It was thought to be rather strange. I checked mine out and it had the same gap.

I thought it was pretty weird it was that way as water could get inside either the windows or maybe the trailer itself. Yeah, I know, it's a wet bath, but I don't think that includes water inside your window frames. I was very careful to not get water in that area while showering in there (yes, I shower in my trailer, unlike some folks).

At the recent Spring NOG I got to peek inside Judy and Larry's new 5.0TA and their bathroom window frame didn't have a gap at the top. Which made LOTS more sense.

I don't have photos of what it looked like before as I never got around to it. However, when I was up at ETI getting some other stuff done, Nigel looked at it and said it was installed improperly (as in upside down). Guess the QA person didn't catch it either.

They pulled it and there isn't a gap at the top any longer. Yay!

So, if the frame on your bathroom window has a gap at the top, I'd contact ETI about it. It could be something that you can fix on your own by taking out the screws and flipping it around. But, yeah, ask them first. Of, if you're close enough, haul it to them and have them fix it.

Both Judy/Larry and I have the 2nd Gen style trailers. I don't know if this has happened in the 1st Gen style trailers. I'm only familiar with our trailer. I think the person that first posted about it also has the 2nd Gen style. I hope they see this post so they can get theirs fixed.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
your posts as a new owner are sure interesting and thank you for bravely sharing them on this forum...
it's a good thing you are so close to the factory to get everything looked at and fixed!
guess checking the window frames to make sure they are mounted correctly needs to be added to the list of things for a new owner to inspect and QC during orientation.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Well, I figure other first time owners can learn from my mistakes! I know I'm not the only new owner out there. Not only for an Escape trailer, but any kind of trailer or motorhome or tent or whatever. It's all new to us. (I did have a one month motorhome rental and traveled from Seattle to Sacramento and back in it 2 years ago, but still!)

With that said, if someone had said to check out that window frame at orientation, I don't know if I would have remembered! I was just so overwhelmed by so much information. Much of it was a blur. Although I do remember the stupid remote not working for the awning - for me. But it worked for others. I guess I hadn't made the proper offerings to the remote gods that morning.

For anyone picking up their new trailer, I'd strongly suggest staying close by and really looking over your new trailer, and taking it back the next day, if need be. I stayed at Cottonwood the night before and after my repair appt and I'd stay there again if need be. Decent place and super quiet (except for traffic noise, which became background noise to me eventually).
Old 05-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #4

Oh, Freespirit, I forgot to add - being so close to the factory was one of the big appeals to getting this trailer.

Plus, the full length bed. I detest hanging my feet off the edge of the bed. Had to do that in the motorhome rental and it drove me nuts.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused, the exterior frame and window was properly installed, just the interior frame was upside down, correct? With the new flat walls why would reversing it remove the the gap? Also you may want to remove all the metal screws around the interior bath belly band and place some caulk and then reinstall, that would prevent water getting behind the shower shell. I performed that in both my other Escapes, do not forget the screws around the sink also.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm confused, the exterior frame and window was properly installed, just the interior frame was upside down, correct? With the new flat walls why would reversing it remove the the gap?
I am wondering this too, Jim. I just looked at mine, and am not seeing how there could be a problem. Not that I doubt there was an issue, but if the window was installed upside down, you could get a neat shower feature when it rains out.

There are many, many folks a loooong ways away from Escape that bought trailers and have had no need to be close to Chilliwack. Lots of ways of dealing with issues should they arise. This is the case for any of the moulded fibreglass trailer manufacturers, having only one manufacturing shop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
L aura , Thank You for your post , it adds one more thing to my growing list of considerations.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

If you look at your window, there's an additional frame (or maybe shroud would be a better term - I dunno) around the entire window on the inside. This is what was installed upside down.

I don't know if they just took it out and reversed it, which is why I suggested that anyone with this problem contact ETI about how to fix it. They may have replaced it with a new one for all I know. I didn't ask.

The gap was pretty decent sized. I know we could have sealed it with something, but if there was a better fix and they could do it, I wanted them to. I did ask if it needed sealer and that's when Nigel said it was installed upside down (or words to that effect).

Okay, just looked at the invoice. "Flip bathroom shroud"

So, go look at your windows and if you have the same ones we do, then your confusion should end. We got the double pane, awning style windows.