installing an ETI supplied under bed door - tips - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question installing an ETI supplied under bed door - tips

hi all

So I had ETI send me an under bed door - that i'll install right outside of the bathroom on our 2017 21'

they sent it with all hardware installed (hinges) - yay!

Unfortunately they didn't include a short hunk of trim for the bottom lip of the hole, that will be visible as i put shoes in and out of the new hole. That would have been nice.

Anyway - having inspected the stock door, i see they used some blocking to re-inforce along the sides of the hole.

i'm semi-handy.... own a jig saw but i'm afraid i'll be a klutz and make a wobbly hole.

any tips as to how best cut a straight line ? with the side of bed panel in place.

and should i very carefully cut the hole, and get that right first, then add the blocking?

(I am aware that i should start slightly small with the hole, and slowly get bigger to tidy the edges....)

Unsure how to secure the blocking.... they used a staple system i dont have - maybe some little metal bits, with proper length wood screws, and some wood glue too?

and...Not a huge big deal, but where would i get a suitable hunk of that wood grain "cap" trim to add to the most visible part of the new hole?

Thanks

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can stain the wood to match the trim and get some 1x1 pine trim for around the door, staple it in place horizontal and attach at top and bottom vertical pieces and then the horizontal piece.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've found an oscillating multi-tool does a nice clean job, but I've only used it on small cuts.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've found an oscillating multi-tool does a nice clean job, but I've only used it on small cuts.
that was my first thought.... i recently bought one... it is 100% amazing what it can do.

perhaps with a steady hand I can do a good enough job?

anyone know of any glue on wood grain / plastic trim that would hide the cut and the added blocking?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mark your lines for your cut and then tape them with painters tape. It will give you a better guide to follow and also will help to prevent splintering along the cut.
The Depot carries wood grain edge trim that isn't bad if I'm following what you want to cover. Used it on a Murphy bed I built years ago.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Mark your lines for your cut and then tape them with painters tape. It will give you a better guide to follow and also will help to prevent splintering along the cut.
The Depot carries wood grain edge trim that isn't bad if I'm following what you want to cover. Used it on a Murphy bed I built years ago.
cool, and cool - thanks!!

John
Old 10-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
If you have access to a Kreg jig, that works great for adding the supports behind the paneling and provides a really strong joint.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's what Reace used (Milwaukee cordless, for what it's worth) to cut into the cubbies to access/swap out bathroom water hoses on new 21's during his whirlwind trip around the states this past Summer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I made a simple jig that made it easy to cut it out exactly and in the right place.

I glued in the backing blocks. They're solid as a rock, nothing else is required.

I used oak veneer on the edge. Others have found other edge treatments. Or you can just leave it as is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The photo.
Attached Thumbnails
23-11-2014 3-49-27 PM5_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On all my cabinets cut into existing woodwork, I first installed blocking/backing framing the exact door size I wanted, which essentially became the jig. I then quickly cut with an osculating saw the panelling free hand leaving it a touch inside the framing. I then ran a small router with a straight bit around the hole to make the panelling edge nice and flush with the framing. then a quick sand to clean up where necessary, and knock the sharp edge off the front of the panelling. If it was a drawer I was done, with a cabinet with door, I painted the sides a colour just like Escape did, and put a tough vinyl cap on the bottom, again like Escape uses.

Though my description sounds lengthy, it really was quite easy to do. A few minutes to get a frame in place, and about a minute to do the other prep work, Combining a bunch of openings at once helped speed up the process too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote