installing scissor jacks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 19' 2015
Ok. Good answer. I sold my 19 and bought a 21, which I am happy with. But I do see many trailers can be leveled with built-in scissor jacks (I was just at a local RV place and saw many that worked that way). If this truly is not possible with the Escape it might be a design upgrade the manufacturers should consider.

This is a structural issue nobody seems to be certain about. Perhaps an Escape person could answer.

pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I wouldn't wait for an Escape employee to possibly read this thread, and then respond, I would make the inquiry directly to Escape.

2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
Ok. Good answer. I sold my 19 and bought a 21, which I am happy with. But I do see many trailers can be leveled with built-in scissor jacks (I was just at a local RV place and saw many that worked that way). If this truly is not possible with the Escape it might be a design upgrade the manufacturers should consider.

This is a structural issue nobody seems to be certain about. Perhaps an Escape person could answer.
You may want to update your avatar to reflect the Escape you currently own, thanks.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Just email them at partsandservice@escapetrailer.com, I have always found them to be very responsive and helpful.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape
Leveling Scissor Jacks on our 19

This is the title of a thread you might search. I don’t know how to link directly to the thread.

The person who did this was Yukon Escape, and he seemed happy with the results. However I recall some discussion about Escape using scissor jacks in the past and discontinuing them because of stress on the frame.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Once in a while we camp on an area that is basically flat overall and while the levels read level the axles are not level but somewhat flexed as they do when on rough ground. Then we put the stabilizers down with light contact on the ground and get ready to camp. Immediately we often noice that the door closes and latches differently than when on level pavement. My conclusion is that I really wouldn’t want to put down what I call a hard jack even if the the jacks were designed to do it. I use Anderson levelers, blocks of wood or a little light surface landscaping. I like the door to open and close and latch properly without forcing anything.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post

This is the title of a thread you might search. I don’t know how to link directly to the thread.

The person who did this was Yukon Escape, and he seemed happy with the results. However I recall some discussion about Escape using scissor jacks in the past and discontinuing them because of stress on the frame.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
... However I recall some discussion about Escape using scissor jacks in the past and discontinuing them because of stress on the frame.
As I recall, the scissor jacks used by Escape for a while were just received in error, and installed because the were an acceptable substitute for the intended single-leg jacks.

The stress on the frame is not changed by the style of jack; you could use four hydraulic bottle jacks at the same points and the frame wouldn't know the difference. The issues with jacking at four corners to level are
  1. supporting the trailer at the ends (so it bends down in the middle) instead the suspension supporting it at the middle (so it bends down at the ends), and
  2. twisting the trailer by not coordinating the jacks well enough.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 "Early" Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
We damaged one of our front stabilizer jacks in a very rough campground last year. For replacement, I purchased a set of scissor jacks from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I then moved the original rear jacks to the front and installed the new scissor jacks on the rear. Installation involved drilling one new hole because the hole spacing is slightly wider.
I do like the scissor jacks better for several reasons. First, they are easier to operate. The amount of effort to operate the jack is only about half of the original jacks. Secondly, the jacks have much greater lifting capacity. Lastly, the scissor jack places the head of the drive screw closer to the outside wall of the trailer. This makes it much easier to locate and operate.
I do not use these jacks to level the trailer, only to stabilize! Leveling is done with a set of Anderson levelers first! I then drop the jacks until they touch the ground and add two more turns of the crank to allow for any settling.
In my opinion, scissor jacks have been a good improvement.
Peter
Frewsburg, NY
pstyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
We choose a level site, use the front hitch jack to level front to back, wheel pads to level side to side, then make final leveling adjustments to enhance shower drainage with the stabilizing jacks. Wonder if this is ok or we are engaging in unsafe practice. We've been doing it for several years.

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote