Installing Stereo Deck in Cabinet - Best Way to Support - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005-17B, 2013 - 5.0, Cabin, 2018-21'
Installing Stereo Deck in Cabinet - Best Way to Support

I want to install a stereo deck in the cabinet above the wardrobe. I am little afraid the thin panelling will not hold the weight of the deck.

What have others done to brace the area or support the stereo?

Wood block under the stereo, use some construction adhesive and attach sheet metal/alum to the panelling, or use plumbing strapping to somehow support the stereo. These are ideas I have at this time, I still have to buy the stereo.

Thanks

islandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: Installing Stereo Deck in Cabinet - Best Way to Support

You can add wooden supports with 15 min. 2 part epoxy from a hobby shop. Just clamp in place.
After you cut the hole for the front put supports on the inside around the hole.The rear of the stereo will need supported as well probably from the top. Did you check into the stock stereo that goes under the cabinet.?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I just have to pipe in again.

There is a good chance, that by the time you work out how and where to cut the hole and how to support the stereo, it will be replaced by a new model, with more features, for less money, and it will be smaller than the unit you bought and custom installed.

And, if it breaks, you won't be able to get it repaired for lack of parts. You'll be left with a hole.

Where in your home is your console stereo record player, your VHS deck, or your 26" tube TV?

I'm sitting here in my living room, facing a piece of $2,000 Shaker design furniture, that has the 40" flat screen TV on top because it doesn't fit inside where the TV is supposed to go. It has a drawer with dividers for VHS tapes. It's a really nice piece of furniture, but in no way functional.

Don't do it.

With an iPod and a dock for the iPod you can take up little counter space and you can take it outside, to the beach or use it at home. When Apple recalls the iPod because the battery overheats, you can get a new one for free, 1/3 the size and more features, for nothing. I'm speaking from experience, because I now have two 6th generation Nanos, replacing the 1st generation Nanos I returned.

And I have a $25 piece of Shaker furniture.

baglo

Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Hi islandr. This does not answer your question, but hopefully gives you an alternative to consider. At one point, I too was going to install a car stereo, particularly because I wanted bluetooth streaming from my phone and iPod.

In the end, I decided to buy a small portable music player for the reasons gbaglo listed. All I need to do is plug it in to 110 AC on occasion to recharge, or will get an converter to plug it into a 12V outlet I am having installed on the shelf above the front window, which will become our media center.

I am going that route so that I will have the option of playing music in the trailer or taking the player outside where the family will hopefully be spending more time. Another bonus, I can take the player with me and use it around the house when the trailer is in storage. The portable player I have chosen has bluetooth, so I will be able to stream audio from multiple devices.

Of course, it will not sound as great as a more powerful, permanent system with built-in speakers, but it will meet my needs.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005-17B, 2013 - 5.0, Cabin, 2018-21'

For simplicity I have gone with the bluetooth Bose unit, this way i have the ability to bring it quietly outside, recharge with solar and not drain trailer battery plus all the other benefits others have mentioned.

islandr is offline   Reply With Quote