Insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Insurance

I contacted Progressive and the said they don't insure Canadian manufactured trailers. OK, where can I get insurance for a Canadian built trailer? Thanks folks. I'm real glad I did not wait until the last minute to settle the details.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I contacted Progressive and the said they don't insure Canadian manufactured trailers. OK, where can I get insurance for a Canadian built trailer? Thanks folks. I'm real glad I did not wait until the last minute to settle the details.
Progressive insures mine.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have Progressive too...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have State Farm and they insure the Escape. They looked it up when we bought both of the used units and it was clear it was a Canadian Made fiberglass trailer. Not to be confused with a USA stick built Escape. Their “replacement value” compared almost exactly with our purchase price. Though I hope I never have to use it.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #5

OK, so I contact Good Sam after calling Progressive and they use Progressive as an underwriter and I had zero problem. I was surprised because I did not mention anything about USAA and the Good Sam agent said "so you're with USAA" . He also said "so you're the only 5.0TA owner in South Carolina". USAA handles my other insurance and they use Progressive for RV insurance. Anyway, I wound up with Progressive for the Escape by going through Good Sam.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have Progressive insurance on my 21 - Full replacement for the first 5 years. I know they have different rules for different states; that may be why are telling you they don't cover Canadian trailers.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have Progressive insurance on my 21 - Full replacement for the first 5 years. I know they have different rules for different states; that may be why are telling you they don't cover Canadian trailers.
Well that was what I was thinking then I called Good Sam but the agent was surprised when I told him about the conversation with Progressive. After about 5-10 minutes I had Progressive 5 year replacement coverage through Good Sam.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
OK, so I contact Good Sam after calling Progressive and they use Progressive as an underwriter and I had zero problem. I was surprised because I did not mention anything about USAA and the Good Sam agent said "so you're with USAA" . He also said "so you're the only 5.0TA owner in South Carolina". USAA handles my other insurance and they use Progressive for RV insurance. Anyway, I wound up with Progressive for the Escape by going through Good Sam.

Hmmm...I insured my 19 directly with USAA beginning in 2015 with no problems. Makes me wonder what they will tell me in July when I call to insure my 5.0.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have had Progessive with 5 year full replacement since pickup in 2013 . Checked with our State Farm ins when the 5 year replacement was up and Progressive still beat our State Farm we have on other vehicles . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Hmmm...I insured my 19 directly with USAA beginning in 2015 with no problems. Makes me wonder what they will tell me in July when I call to insure my 5.0.
I got insurance last December for our new 5.0TA through USAA, where I have all my insurance, with no problem.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I got insurance last December for our new 5.0TA through USAA, where I have all my insurance, with no problem.

Good. Thanks for the background. I’ve been with them over 45 years and have everything with them. We now love our additional rebate every February. [emoji4]
Old 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Off topic but interesting story about USAA. I called them last month on another matter. The call center agent was the worse I have ever had from USAA . I was surprised and a little upset given the stellar customer service reputation of USAA. Anyway, I called back and explained my concern and asked to speak to a supervisor. After a couple of transfers, I spoke directly to the Manager of this specific agent inside the call center. He was already aware of the agent in question and said he would personally listen to the call recording and take direct and immediate action. He thanked me for taking the time to call back and I thanked him for addressing the situation in the manner he deemed appropriate.

I’ve worked with a lot of call centers supporting them with IT. I know how complex call routing can be. It just amazed me that I was able to speak directly to this agent’s Manager without a lot of effort.

Now back to the topic of the thread...
Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The first thing I did was get on USAA site and when I selected RV insurance it transferred me to the Progressive site which required me to name the manufacturer along with model. There were two "Escape" manufacturers listed. Neither had a 5.0TA or any other Escape model that I know of and unless you named the model you were at a dead end. Then I called progressive and told the lady I was purchasing a trailer manufactured in Canada and that I would have it in South Carolina and she informed me that they did not insure Canadian manufactured trailers. She was obviously wrong. So then I called Good Sam. Good Sam also informed me that I would have to give my USAA number in order to get the USAA discount for the Progressive insurance that I got through Good Sam. Yes, Progressive does insure trailers proudly built in Canada. The other day I was told by a clerk at the South Carolina DMV that I could not register a trailer in South Carolina without a title. She was also wrong. Now I have my plates, my insurance and soon the title will arrive in the mail. and I am a happy camper
Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:

That's weird.. because we have USAA for our other insurances and they send us to Progressive for RV insurance..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
That's weird.. because we have USAA for our other insurances and they send us to Progressive for RV insurance..
I just called USAA and when I requested RV Insurance I was transferred to a Progressive representative. I ask her about the USAA/Progressive situation and she indicated that prior to the first of the year in some cases USAA handled the insurance but as of the first of the year all RV insurance through USAA is under Progressive. Why? I don't know.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Good Sam

Quote:
Good Sam uses Progressive in SC, but for me in GA they appear to use National General. It's a little early for me, but a got a quote just now - searched for "Good Sam RV Insurance". that took me to sales.nationalgeneral.com.

I also started with Good Sam for the Casita and got National General.

I also searched on both names and got some kind of survey/poll where Good Sam was slightly better than National General.

Wonder if the quote will still be valid in August?
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #17

Canadian Escape Model Number

Quote:
Would you be able to look at your policy and let me know your Escape Model Number? I started with Good Sam and got a quote online. Just like with the Casita I was routed to National General.

I used "OTHER" as the model. I didn't buy and got a follow up call the next day from Good Sam who transferred me to a National General agent named Adam who looked on his drop down menu and found the same things that I did - they are models associated with the American Escape and he promised to call me back and had a vague memory of someone else seeking coverage.

I do not expect him to call back.

The only drop down model I got from Progressive was the American Escape.

I wonder if all any of our Canadian Escapes are actually for American Escapes? I guess that might work if the VIN is listed on the policy. I'll keep looking.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 05-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #18

Trailer: ?
“The only drop down model I got from Progressive was the American Escape.”
Agreed.

My Progressive policy calls the trailer 2019 Escape Trailer Industries Escape 21.

I called them instead of using the Internet. In a few minutes I was finished.

1-877-689-9794

Total loss replacement coverage for, as I recall, the first five years of ownership.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Would you be able to look at your policy and let me know your Escape Model Number? I started with Good Sam and got a quote online. Just like with the Casita I was routed to National General.

I used "OTHER" as the model. I didn't buy and got a follow up call the next day from Good Sam who transferred me to a National General agent named Adam who looked on his drop down menu and found the same things that I did - they are models associated with the American Escape and he promised to call me back and had a vague memory of someone else seeking coverage.

I do not expect him to call back.

The only drop down model I got from Progressive was the American Escape.

I wonder if all any of our Canadian Escapes are actually for American Escapes? I guess that might work if the VIN is listed on the policy. I'll keep looking.
Bill I haven't gotten the Progressive policy back yet. When I do if you're still having problems I'll be glad to let you know how they list it. The companies on the drop down list I saw are not associated with Escape Trailer Industries. There are multiple Escape owners in Georgia and one of them should be able to help. Decades ago I got to spend a lot of time over at Dobbins. Good luck. jn
Old 05-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #20

I got some quotes

This is for a 2014 Escape 21', fair value for the trailer. My credit, driving history, defensive driving course are excellent and I live in a zip with low crime.

State Farm , no discount even though they insure the house, 2 cars and 1 motorcycle. No fiberglass discount.
$606 annual

Progressive - $488

Safeco might be $387

Thanks all for the responses.
Nova Kool RFU6800