Inverter low voltage shutdown issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milam, Texas
Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Posts: 131
Inverter low voltage shutdown issue

My trailer is a 2016, 21, old body style.

When I try to run the microwave off of the inverter it shuts down after about 15 seconds and gives a low input voltage error code. Is there anything other than bad batteries that would cause? The batteries that came with the trailer died after about 6 months and Interstate replaced them under warranty with new ones. That makes these batteries about 14 months old.

When the microwave comes, the battery voltages starts dropping quickly and hits about 10.5 in 10-15 seconds, tripping the inverter off.

So, do I have more bad batteries or are there other things I should check.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
__________________

thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,662
How well charged are the batteries before trying the inverter?

If the batteries are well-charged before using the inverter, and the high current demand of the inverter (while running the microwave) drops the voltage severely, there is too much resistance somewhere. Internal resistance in the battery would be a battery condition problem, but there could also be a bad connection somewhere in the wiring between the battery and inverter, due to corrosion or a loosened nut or bolt.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,413
What are your charging setup and regimen?
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carmichael, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 4
You might check the 2 15 amp breakers in the sub panel under the dinette seat which are the breakers for the 120V outlets. When I was having electrical problems I found a loose wire at one of the breaker connections that appeared to have been arcing. After tightening the connection the electrical problems went away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring.jpg (64.1 KB, 43 views)
BN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 469
I had this same symptom that was corrected by working on the crimp connector of the heavy wire at the battery. On mine, the crimp connector needed to be crushed tighter so that it was no longer loose.

There's probably a better way to make sure this connection is secure and is sending full electricity through that wire, but for now it's ok, and I bring a large vice grip. I may include a big C-clamp to really put some pressure on that connector, when we start the season next month. Thanks for reminding me.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milam, Texas
Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
What are your charging setup and regimen?
Before fall storage I charge fully and they flip the battery cutoff switch. During the winter I plug into shore power about every 6 weeks for a half day and top off the charge. The first time the error started was during a stop at the beginning of a 8 day trip. I tried it again after returning [and the trailed had been plugged in and charging] for 8 nights.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milam, Texas
Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BN49 View Post
You might check the 2 15 amp breakers in the sub panel under the dinette seat which are the breakers for the 120V outlets. When I was having electrical problems I found a loose wire at one of the breaker connections that appeared to have been arcing. After tightening the connection the electrical problems went away.
Thanks for pointing this out! This is not where I would have initially looked and will check it out today.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Smithers, BC, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
My trailer is a 2016, 21, old body style.

When I try to run the microwave off of the inverter it shuts down after about 15 seconds and gives a low input voltage error code. Is there anything other than bad batteries that would cause? The batteries that came with the trailer died after about 6 months and Interstate replaced them under warranty with new ones. That makes these batteries about 14 months old.

When the microwave comes, the battery voltages starts dropping quickly and hits about 10.5 in 10-15 seconds, tripping the inverter off.

So, do I have more bad batteries or are there other things I should check.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
If that voltage decline is at the battery posts, and accurate, then your problem is batteries. Poor connections between the batteries and the inverter will not cause the voltage failure that you describe if the measurement is accurate at the battery terminals.

If the voltage that you describe is at the inverter, then you could have the connection issues others describe, or a wire size issue between the inverter and the battery. Did the inverter ever work the microwave properly when the batteries were new? Wire size is often an issue with large loads like that, but it does not affect voltage at the battery, only at the inverter under load.

If you can let us know exactly how and where the voltage decline you describe is measured, I may be able to advise further.

If it turns out that the batteries are the problem, the cause would be either defective batteries again, or that they were discharged too deeply during use in the previous season. Taking them below 12volts repeatedly will kill them in fairly short order.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I had this same symptom that was corrected by working on the crimp connector of the heavy wire at the battery. On mine, the crimp connector needed to be crushed tighter so that it was no longer loose.

There's probably a better way to make sure this connection is secure and is sending full electricity through that wire, but for now it's ok, and I bring a large vice grip. I may include a big C-clamp to really put some pressure on that connector, when we start the season next month. Thanks for reminding me.
I solder that type of connection.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BN49 View Post
You might check the 2 15 amp breakers in the sub panel under the dinette seat which are the breakers for the 120V outlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
This is not where I would have initially looked and will check it out today.
Checking these connections is prudent, but a bad connection in an AC component won't cause the DC voltage drop that is causing the inverter to complain.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.