Inverter Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Inverter Question

Hello, we are are new to this forum and we would like to say hi to everyone. We are getting a 5.0 TA -completion date Dec 2019. We are still in the process of completing our build Sheet. We have a question about the Inverter. What appliances and tools that you use to plug in the AC inverter? Do you really need an Inverter? (We are planning to use the RV three months in winter down south in a warmer climate and in Summer and warmer weather in BC and Canada. Also we are planning to stay in it for a year park in our property- plugged in- while we build our retirement house.)
Thanks,
Brian and Maria
vivid blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you will be plugged in you do not need an inverter. An inverter allows use of some items like a microwave or electric pot while not hooked up to electric. Again, not needed if you will be plugged in at a campsite or at home.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Do you need it for the TV?
Old 08-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #4

Probably my question should be-- What appliances and devices that you are using now that are plugged in to your inverter? Cell phone? Laptop? TV? etc?
Thanks again,
B&M
Old 08-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
No unless your boondocking
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The general answer is that if it has a 120volt plug...like you use in the house for a lamp, or coffee pot...curling iron...then you need an inverter. It changes the 12volt DC of your battery in to the 120 volts like your home or office uses.

The harder part is how large of an inverter, and that is dependent on what you want to operate. Running the hair dryer for example requires a larger inverter than charging my electric shaver.

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As others have mentioned, an inverter takes 12V from your batteries & makes 120v AC. If you never camp without a power pedestal, there is no need for one. On the other hand, if you dry camp, it is handy to power those devices that don't run on 12V. A microwave, coffee pot, toaster, some TVs, recharging computers, camera batteries & cell phones, etc. Many of those devices (with the exception of the microwave) can be powered or charged from 12V without an inverter.

If you do get an inverter, the one supplied by Escape will provide up to 1500 watts. You need the dual batteries to power it because to make 120V, the inverter draws over 10X the amperage of the device you are powering. This can drag down your batteries quickly. You need a method of putting back into the batteries what ever you take out. It could be with your converter at a site with hookups a day or two later, or solar.

In any case, high current devices such as hair dryers, microwaves, etc will quickly deplete your batteries, and should only be used for a short time (a few minutes). Medium amperage devices such as a coffee pot, toaster, etc can be used for longer periods, however either could use a tenth or more of your battery capacity each day. Low power devices such as camera, laptop & cell phone battery charging will not cause much in the way of battery depletion. All inverters waste some power, even when not in use (if left on).
Old 08-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Ditto what others have said, depends a lot on your camping style. We find that the inverter is a nice luxury - we don't use it often, but when we do it's sure nice to have. Pulling over at a rest stop for lunch and being able to run the microwave briefly is a luxury we really appreciate after not having that capability in our old trailer.

There aren't many other 120 volt appliances we use - we have a 12 volt TV and 12 volt fan, it's much more efficient to have those things run directly off the batteries rather than fire up the big inverter and have it running for two hours to watch a movie. If you use things like a 120 volt coffee grinder, mixer, blender etc. the inverter allows you to have the use of them when you don't have shore power.

Bottom line - you can make frozen margaritas in your blender when you're boondocking
Old 08-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most charging is done via USB now a days and there are several in your Escape already, they are 12v just like in your car. You can buy a 12v tv, that is what I have done for my last 4 Escapes....
Old 08-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i have a few things that need 120V to charge, and a portable 200 watt inverter I use for these. I installed a couple 'powerpole' 12V outlets near the dinette so thats where i plug the inverter in. we hardly ever use our microwave, even at home, and our Escape has a propane oven which gets used a LOT.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We are in the pro-inverter camp, since we travel great distances, about 80,000 miles so far with the trailer. We often do not have 120 volt electricity to plug into.

We enjoy the freedom to run the microwave whenever we stop to warm up lunch or leftovers. I understand we could make do just fine with the stove top, but we just like the microwave for coffee, tea, or heating things.

You can find a television that will run on 12volt, but we like the regular Samsung that more or less requires the 120 volt. It's possible to use a small hand held inverter that supplies enough 120 volt power that would probably run the TV, and we have used one sometimes, so that's an option. My wife's hair appliance (Chi?) uses about 70 watts of AC power, so that can easily be used, too.

If you're getting the solar, I'd say get the inverter. If you're getting the inverter, get the solar. We also got the two 6 volt batteries that have held up well.

One thing leads to another, so it's possible to go simple, or get it all.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
If you're getting the solar, I'd say get the inverter. If you're getting the inverter, get the solar. We also got the two 6 volt batteries that have held up well.
I don’t think it was always the case but if you get either the solar or the inverter (or both) it requires the dual 6V batteries.