is there an easier way to hitch the trailer? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #11

Re: is there an easier way to hitch the trailer?

I just got the Couple-Mate and will let you know how it works. As for the 5.0, I'd need to get a pickup. GM perhaps?

dlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: Again... GMC...works for ME!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna

I wonder if one of those aftermarket back-up cameras would help?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #14

The Couple-Mate is a great idea for a product - unfortunately it won't work with the Escape. The hitch receiver is too wide for the Couple mate attachment so there is no way to fully attach the trailer. It seems that the Escape receiver must not be a standard size (the ball is a standard size, but the metal surrounding it must extend further than on other hitch receivers). Alternatively, the Couple-Mate is made to only fit some receivers - something they provide no documentation for (and an unnecessary feature of the design as well).

So, I guess I'll try the other solution.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #15

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Hi Dale

There is a possibility that the ball latch on the hitch needs to be adjusted. If it is set too tight, as you are finding, there is little room for error when hooking up. If you look under the coupler, you will see a nut that is attached to the latch. Try loosening it a bit. One revolution, then test it. The hitch should drop on without too much difficulty. Test it by latching it onto the ball and then crank up the trailer to raise the the back end of the the tow vehicle. (a bit)

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #16

I can now report that Reace's suggestion was correct. The nut on the hitch receiver was too tight - loosening it has made a lot of difference! I also got the yellow ball alignment rods and they are helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #17

We installed a Quickbite hitch to our Escape and it makes hitching the trailer very easy. I can only highly recomend this product.
See video link attached

Regards Kevan
ekhaya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

While the QuickBite looks interesting, I can't see it saving much time. You would have to have the hitch real close to the ball height to work, so you would still have to get out to check that at least once. If you were just parking, and did not raise or lower the hitch at all, then the height would not be an issue. Plus, you would sit have to have your alignment close too.

If alone doing it the old fashioned way, you really only need to get out a couple times most , not like they showed in the video. I do admit, I have done it thousands of times, so do have some experience.

I now have a reversing camera on my Pilot, and although the wide angle view distorts the image a fair bit, it really does help to see the hitch and ball. At most, a wee bit of moving forward or back is all it takes, but often it is bang on. Still getting used to it though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #19

Back up cameras can be installed to serve two purposes. One as it was intended, a "rear view mirror" to keep eye out on the rear of the trailer when traveling. Second, use a temporary mount to attach camera above the ball to view the hitch and ball alignment when hooking up. It works.
Gene
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

I tried to hitch Cafe Egg today to get it home for a bath, and was not able to hitch to the car. What happened is similar to the problem the OP of this thread had. My dad and I were able to get the coupler on the ball, and the ring of the coupler was in front of the coupler, not up. But we weren't able to get the teeth into the slots on the coupler. Hence, we weren't able to put a pin through the holes, since the outer holes were not alligned with the inner hole. After removing the car, I looked underneath the coupler to look for a nut because I somewhat remembered this discussion/thread, but couldn't find one. My dad, who has experience with towing, was not able to figure that out as well.

Then we tried to put down the coupler handle to get the teeth inside the slots without the ball underneath, it did not work either. I wonder whether the type of coupler used on the Escapes got changed during last year of production? If not, where exactly can I find the nut in the coupler?