is there an easier way to hitch the trailer? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #61

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: is there an easier way to hitch the trailer?

The guy said he found the mirror at a yard sale. But, it should be pretty easy to get the parts at any automotive store. Take a picture to the guy (or girl) at the front of the store, and ask, "do you have the stuff to build one of these?". They love that kind of thing! (Do not try at "Stuff-Mart" however)
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I made my own ( similar ) mirror apparatus ( pix over on FGRV somewhere ) for hitching, but it's now retired. It's bulky compared to my new store-bought system which fits anywhere you might care to store it.

I've replaced my creation with the commercially available telescoping rods. They have a magnet on the bottom, and a ball ( or on mine an LED ). You stick one on the hitch ball and one one the hitch. You keep them lined up as you reverse. When you get to the hitch, the rod on the hitch ball is knocked off the hitch and you know you are right on. You do still have to check that you have the hitch at the proper height for the ball.

Mine is called Easy-Hitch by Jacko Enterprises
Go here to download a PDF on the unit: http://www.shopdragonsden.com/product.php?id=33

A similar system can be found at etrailer.com for less money ( no LED ).

baglo

Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #63

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I think we picked ours up @ Princess Auto. Under $20
Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #64

OK, I admit it - something is wrong with me. I now have my second telescoping rod hitching aid and it doesn't help me at all. It gets me within a couple of inches of where I need to be, but I could do that by guessing or having somebody just tell me when I'm close. When I follow the directions, and stop when the rod is knocked off the trailer, it is not lined up correctly - this is especially true if there is any angle at all between the trailer and the tow vehicle. Also, when I put the vehicle in park (even with the emergency brake), there is almost always a roll of a couple of inches - too much to permit hitching the trailer.

I did like the product that replaces the hitch with the jaws that look to be quite forgiving, but it is not worth the $500 to have the hitch changed out. So, hitching the trailer remains a nightmare for me. Perhaps it is the Alaska mosquitos that are attracted like magnets (I guess that's a pun) when I try to hitch the trailer. Or it could just be my incompetence. But does anybody have a fresh idea of how to make this easier?
dlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

I have a back up camera on my Tacoma and it sure works slick.
You can pick up after market ones to put on any vehicle for about
a hundred bucks. Then with a little practice (to figure out the camera's
depth perception) you should be able to line it up in seconds.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #66

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

I use those telescoping tennis balls to line up solo, and this works like a champ over and over again. :
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlehman
OK, I admit it - something is wrong with me. I now have my second telescoping rod hitching aid and it doesn't help me at all. It gets me within a couple of inches of where I need to be, but I could do that by guessing or having somebody just tell me when I'm close. When I follow the directions, and stop when the rod is knocked off the trailer, it is not lined up correctly - this is especially true if there is any angle at all between the trailer and the tow vehicle. Also, when I put the vehicle in park (even with the emergency brake), there is almost always a roll of a couple of inches - too much to permit hitching the trailer.

I did like the product that replaces the hitch with the jaws that look to be quite forgiving, but it is not worth the $500 to have the hitch changed out. So, hitching the trailer remains a nightmare for me. Perhaps it is the Alaska mosquitos that are attracted like magnets (I guess that's a pun) when I try to hitch the trailer. Or it could just be my incompetence. But does anybody have a fresh idea of how to make this easier?
I don't know why the telescoping aid isn't working for you. Works every time for me. I just have to check that the hitch is high enough to go over the ball. I place one magnetic rod on the ball and the other on the flat part just behind the locking mechanism on the trailer. When the one on the ball falls off, I am lined up within a 1/4 inch.

But, you always have to put on your parking brake before you shift to park so you don't roll that inch or two.

baglo
Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #68

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

We use the telescoping tennis balls as well.
Ditto what baglo said regarding the process, results, & watch out for hitch height...

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: dlehman... Escape is always building 5.0s Every thing is in plain sight and at eye level Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
I made my own ( similar ) mirror apparatus ( pix over on FGRV somewhere ) for hitching, but it's now retired. It's bulky compared to my new store-bought system which fits anywhere you might care to store it.
baglo

Glen, I posted a picture of it here: http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...sg2866#msg2866 I still like the idea of the mirror and will make one for myself.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #71

I "finally" hitched ours up all by myself---used the little telescoping rods and they worked great..
So I hooked it all up--filled water tanks etc, drove to where we were going--Backed in (thats a first!!!)) unhooked and set it all up--then this morning got the awningin and all hooked up to the car etc--did all the emptying of the tanks...But Doug drove home!!!!
But finally I said I wanted to do it all --I have helped many times but not been in charge... Now to still practice that backing up...Then there'll be no stopping me!!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #72

You need to practice yelling at the person who is supposed to be directing you.

I've tried explaining to the Old Bag that she should not stand directly behind the trailer....that if I can't see her in the mirror, I can't follow directions. And when I do see her in the mirror and she appears to be bird watching or conversing with a neighbor, I lose confidence in the process.

My buddy Keath, on the other hand, drives his own trailer. And, I have to explain to him that I don't want him to indicate which way to turn my steering wheel ( for one thing, I'm looking in the mirror so am I supposed to do the opposite? ). I just want him to point the direction he wants the trailer to go.

I learned that if you grasp the steering wheel at the bottom and your helper points to the left, you turn the wheel to the left and everything follows as it should. You don't have to think. ( note that if you grip the wheel at the top, you would have to turn the wheel to the right to achieve the same result, and that's too many things to think about ).

baglo
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #73

He was very calm (and yes, I tend to look around and not be a good "director")--so maybe this will help.

I did the hands at thebottom of the steering wheel, and we had the windows open__ I kept getting out and checking--good old BC parks and their large rocks and trees!!
No damage to either Escape!! LOL
Old 08-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: amirie..."Good on ya mate". Down here in Ontario specially in the Provincial Pks. they make it a challenge by hiding the rocks and tree stumps in long grass beside the roads into the sites. The better you become the more you'll love a "Challenge". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #75

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

As Alf said, it all else fails, get a 5.0. I was hooking up yesterday AM in Lancaster, PA, while the guy next to me was sitting there watching. I positioned the front end at about the right height, backed up the truck, "clank" went the lock arm, on went the breakaway switch cable, the electrical got plugged in, the front legs got retracted, and off we went. The fellow next door had his jaw hanging in amazement, saying "that was so EASY!". Yep, and I love it! Thanks Rease and Tammy for a fiberglass 5.0 extraordinary!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

We have a 13' and I just get it close and pull the trailer to the hitch!

Small IS better. LOL
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #77

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H
We have a 13' and I just get it close and pull the trailer to the hitch!

Small IS better. LOL
Thats the technique I used when we had our teardrop .
When we bought our Scamp I started using one of these:
http://hitchhelpermirror.com/
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote