is there an easier way to hitch the trailer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

is there an easier way to hitch the trailer?

On my 3rd year with our wonderful 17 foot Escape. It is nearly perfect, but I have one continuing problem. Attaching the trailer seems like it is just too hard. The hitch ball must fit EXACTLY into the receiver - there is virtually no forgiveness. It is true that I can move the trailer a bit in each direction to try to improve the positioning, but I seem to have to get the car backed up precisely in the right spot or the ball is either too far forward or too far back and it won't go in. I believe there is either some technique that I don't know or there should be a different mechanism that allows for a less exact lineup before you close the hitch latch.

Can anybody offer some advice? It sometimes takes me a half hour to get the trailer attached! And, a half hour in Alaska equals quite a few mosquito bites.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
dlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #2

Re: is there an easier way to hitch the trailer?

You shouldn't have to line it up exactly. Sometimes the "u" shaped collar that latches the ball to the hitch does not drop down far enough to allow some latitude. The next time you unlatch your hitch, check underneath the tongue and if necessary, pull down on the "u" shaped collar.
Al
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

Yep.. it doesn't have to be exact.. Just get a portion of the ball (something like half the ball) under the hitch.. When you lower the jack, the weight of the hitch/tounge should pull the ball into position so you can lock it in place.. Sometimes I put my foot on the car side of the hitch to move the back-end of the car so that the ball slips under the trailer hitch and it just snaps into place under the weight of the trailer hitch..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

All the above is dependent on only the back of the trailer wheels being chocked. If both sides of the trailer wheels are chocked (ie. the front of the wheels too), the trailer will not move forward as Jeff has just said. Using Glenn's "back up mirror" (look under Towing-Hitches-Mileage, Rav mileage May 27) will help immensly in getting it lined up quickly!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

A couple of "helpers" come to mind:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95684

or something Glen should recognize.
Attached Thumbnails
mirror_1.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

My daughter got me the poles that attach to hitch and ball, but I haven't tried them yet. I'm happy with my mirror set up. Anyway, the kit she got me has red LED's instead of the yellow ball, so you could line it up at night.

baglo
Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ladyblue
A couple of "helpers" come to mind:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95684

or something Glen should recognize.
The yellow balls on magnetic rods are available at your local WallyWorld (WalMart). Saw them last night.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #8

I absolutely LOVE the magnetic balls.

I don't believe I'd be able to align my tug and trailer without them
Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

There's also this thing too. It does double-duty as it protects the tug. But you'd better have a wheel on the tongue jack or you may bend it. Or, the foot pad could dig into the dirt/asphalt. It's called a Couple Mate and this is a link to the J.C. Whitney page with reviews
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...wflag=1#review
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: dlehman... An easier way I know of is to buy a 5.0 ...It's way easier!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #11

I just got the Couple-Mate and will let you know how it works. As for the 5.0, I'd need to get a pickup. GM perhaps?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Again... GMC...works for ME!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I wonder if one of those aftermarket back-up cameras would help?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #14

The Couple-Mate is a great idea for a product - unfortunately it won't work with the Escape. The hitch receiver is too wide for the Couple mate attachment so there is no way to fully attach the trailer. It seems that the Escape receiver must not be a standard size (the ball is a standard size, but the metal surrounding it must extend further than on other hitch receivers). Alternatively, the Couple-Mate is made to only fit some receivers - something they provide no documentation for (and an unnecessary feature of the design as well).

So, I guess I'll try the other solution.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Hi Dale

There is a possibility that the ball latch on the hitch needs to be adjusted. If it is set too tight, as you are finding, there is little room for error when hooking up. If you look under the coupler, you will see a nut that is attached to the latch. Try loosening it a bit. One revolution, then test it. The hitch should drop on without too much difficulty. Test it by latching it onto the ball and then crank up the trailer to raise the the back end of the the tow vehicle. (a bit)

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #16

I can now report that Reace's suggestion was correct. The nut on the hitch receiver was too tight - loosening it has made a lot of difference! I also got the yellow ball alignment rods and they are helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17A

We installed a Quickbite hitch to our Escape and it makes hitching the trailer very easy. I can only highly recomend this product.
See video link attached

Regards Kevan
ekhaya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

While the QuickBite looks interesting, I can't see it saving much time. You would have to have the hitch real close to the ball height to work, so you would still have to get out to check that at least once. If you were just parking, and did not raise or lower the hitch at all, then the height would not be an issue. Plus, you would sit have to have your alignment close too.

If alone doing it the old fashioned way, you really only need to get out a couple times most , not like they showed in the video. I do admit, I have done it thousands of times, so do have some experience.

I now have a reversing camera on my Pilot, and although the wide angle view distorts the image a fair bit, it really does help to see the hitch and ball. At most, a wee bit of moving forward or back is all it takes, but often it is bang on. Still getting used to it though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #19

Back up cameras can be installed to serve two purposes. One as it was intended, a "rear view mirror" to keep eye out on the rear of the trailer when traveling. Second, use a temporary mount to attach camera above the ball to view the hitch and ball alignment when hooking up. It works.
Gene
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

I tried to hitch Cafe Egg today to get it home for a bath, and was not able to hitch to the car. What happened is similar to the problem the OP of this thread had. My dad and I were able to get the coupler on the ball, and the ring of the coupler was in front of the coupler, not up. But we weren't able to get the teeth into the slots on the coupler. Hence, we weren't able to put a pin through the holes, since the outer holes were not alligned with the inner hole. After removing the car, I looked underneath the coupler to look for a nut because I somewhat remembered this discussion/thread, but couldn't find one. My dad, who has experience with towing, was not able to figure that out as well.

Then we tried to put down the coupler handle to get the teeth inside the slots without the ball underneath, it did not work either. I wonder whether the type of coupler used on the Escapes got changed during last year of production? If not, where exactly can I find the nut in the coupler?