Jack Antenna Option on New 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Jack Antenna Option on New 5.0 TA

Just returned from Chilliwack where we were finalizing our build sheet for the 5.0 TA. During our review of the features and options, we were made aware that there may be a problem in the use of a Jack Antenna. Because of the roof profile of the 5.0 TA, the Jack Antenna will not sit level (parallel) to the ground and thus, may not work properly. For those of you who have this feature and experience with it (or those that may have the technical knowledge), your comments would be "muchly" appreciated...

In addition, this rascal may look a bit like a "fire plug"... short & stocky!!!

Thanks,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Would the standard Winegard look or work any better?
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
antenna

Our standard antenna on the 19 and now on the 21 works very well, even in poor reception areas.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #4

From my understanding, the standard Winegard antenna is supposed to be omni-directional. However, some posts have indicated that one has to place the trailer is a certain position in order to get the best reception. The Jack on the other hand, can be rotated from within in the trailer.
So, padlin or Jack... have either of you experienced this directional problem?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
antenna

We just park the trailer as we wish and when we turn on the TV it always seems to find all of the stations that might be available, much better than our old style antennas that had to be rotated to each station.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While each antenna may have different amplifiers, etc, a directional antenna will have more gain than an omnidirectional antenna. The problem with directional antennas is modern TVs require a scan to find stations. With an omnidirectional antenna you only have to scan once. With a directional antenna your will need to make more than one unless you know where that stations are transmitting from. If it is important that you have the greatest chance of picking up stations as you move from place to place, the unidirectional antenna will give you the best chance, but it will be more work to set up.

A slight tip of the antenna due to the roof shape won't make much difference, however a very large one would.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Larry, the "standard" Winegard is the old analog style, it rotates, but I've never used it.

According to WInegard their Roadstar is Omnidirectional (looks like what Escape uses) so no turning needed, claimed reception is 35 miles.

King Controls Jack is somewhat directional, needs to be adjusted for best signal, claims 90 mile reception.

Take the distance with a grain of salt.
*Antenna reception may vary based on transmitting antenna tower height, lobe pattern of the transmitter, height of the receiving antenna, weather conditions, and terrain on receiving path, including trees, buildings and hills.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While each antenna may have different amplifiers, etc, a directional antenna will have more gain than an omnidirectional antenna. The problem with directional antennas is modern TVs require a scan to find stations. With an omnidirectional antenna you only have to scan once. With a directional antenna your will need to make more than one unless you know where that stations are transmitting from. If it is important that you have the greatest chance of picking up stations as you move from place to place, the unidirectional antenna will give you the best chance, but it will be more work to set up.

A slight tip of the antenna due to the roof shape won't make much difference, however a very large one would.
You do not need to turn the Jack antenna more than once, there are tuning LEDs
installed in the Jack. You turn it on and slowly rotate the antenna watching the LEDS, and once you reach a point where there are a maximum showing, that is your best reception. You then tune your TV to the "AIR" channel for maximum channel reception.
I have had both in prior units and prefer the Jack for better reception. The installation instructions do not specify level location, perhaps a check with the manufacturer may answer your question better.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you only want to pick up stations in one direction, the lights are useful, however in many parts of the country there will be stations transmitting from different locations. To find & program all of them you will need to do a scan with the antenna aimed at each transmitting antenna.

For example, at my home in Oswego, NY, I have usable stations to the South (Syracuse, 35 miles), West (Rochester, 68 miles), Northeast (Watertown 65 miles) and North (A CBC station in Canada, 55 miles). To program all these stations I would need to do 4 scans with a directional antenna, however with an omnidirectional antenna with less gain I might only be able to pick up the nearest Syracuse stations.

Both types of antennas have their advantages, which you choose depends on your viewing needs.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

True, the most LED's will probably be from Syracuse stations, but at least you will know that if what you want is not televised from Syracuse, you may have the option of tuning for the other stations that the Jack showed reception was available for.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #11

Thanks so much all... Reace brought the issue up at our review. He also indicated that he is pursuing it further with the manufacturer. Once I get an update, I will reciprocate and post accordingly, in case it might be of use to someone else...

Thanks again,
Larry
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Larry, the "standard" Winegard is the old analog style, it rotates, but I've never used it.
Despite the advertising fluff, there's nothing digital about the other antenna, either.

I'm sure the tuning lights on a Jack are just driven by raw signal strength - nothing digital needed. The tuning lights seem useful to me (to avoid repeated TV scan cycles or awkward channel-specific TV signal readings), and the Jack may be more sensitive or selective, but all TV antennas fundamentally work the same.. and even with an amplifier they are all analog. If they rotate for best signal, they are directional.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

I remember when we got our first motorized house antenna, my dad refused to go up on the roof and turn the unit trying to pick up new channels. We could now sit and watch the world rotate around the antenna, very memorable.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We had a motorized rotating antenna in the 1970', on a 55-foot tower. The control box had stickers on it to show the direction for each station... and in a rural area of Ontario we had a spot for every VHF channel plus a couple of UHF, covering every major network, twice each. The gain of a directional antenna can be very effective if you can manage the aiming issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote