Jack-It Bike Rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
Jack-It Bike Rack

I have just installed a Lippert Components Jack-It bike rack on my 21. I was a little concerned about the clearance between the bikes and the storage box, but can now report there is plenty of room to open the box and access the contents. It is also compatible with my manual tongue jack. I am pleased so far.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1927.JPG   IMG_1929.JPG  
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrider View Post
I have just installed a Lippert Components Jack-It bike rack on my 21. I was a little concerned about the clearance between the bikes and the storage box, but can now report there is plenty of room to open the box and access the contents. It is also compatible with my manual tongue jack. I am pleased so far.
We came across someone with one of these at a trailer park in Franklin N.C. They look very well made and the couple had two bikes, one bicycle had fenders and a dropped bar frame so it handles them too.
The idea of being able to see the bikes instead of them being tucked behind the trailer sounded good.

We were not around when he removed them so I do not know how hard it is but I did help him put one back on. If you have a truck with no cap I imagine it would be easy. Just load the bikes in the back and standing on the tailgate load them. He was using a Chevy Traverse so that was not possible. I noticed him dragging the picnic table to the front of his trailer so I wandered over to see if I could give him a hand.

He was going to use it to put his wife's bicycle on and said the two of us could do it without the table. I was a bit surprised at the weight of her bike it must have a thick steel frame and steel fenders. His was easy as it was light and he had already mounted it.

So it works nicely for light bikes or if your wife is able to assist ( his had a bad back ) or you have a vehicle where you can get in the back. Or drag a picnic table over.

Since both of our bicycles are light it's something I may consider if the hitch we mounted on the back of the trailer does not pan out.

Also, we had looked inside his trailer earlier as he had ours and I did not bring up what I had quickly googled. His SUV was rated for 5200 pounds and he was towing an Airstream 25FB. Empty weight a little over 5500 pounds listed for his trailer.
With all he had in it plus the two big dogs he had to be seriously overloaded.

Edit, why I did not bring up the weight is the time I had previously done that became very unpleasant. I figure they had to know and do not care.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
I have just installed a Lippert Components Jack-It bike rack on my 21.
Nice! If you don't mind measuring, what's the clearance between the jack-it and the trailer? With the 19 we have a window in the front with rock shield to open.

Thank you for posting!
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

I am 71 and not as strong or as flexible as I used to be and was a little worried about lifting the bikes up to the rack. I have been practicing here at home. The first few times were awkward, but I am getting the hang of it. I have been putting the lighter bike (32 lbs.) farthest from the TV and it is easy to load. I lift it up and roll it onto the lid of the storage box, lean it against the Jack-it, lift one end up and onto the wheel cradle and then walk around the tongue and lift the other end onto its cradle. The heavier bike (34 lbs) was more of a challenge until I figured out how to do it in two stages. There are anti-sway pins about 20 inches below the wheel cradles. I grasp the bike down low, on the frame near the chain wheel, then lift it high enough to hook one wheel on an anti-sway pin and then swing the other end up to the wheel cradle, then go back to the first wheel and lift it from the anti-sway pin to its cradle. I can do this while standing flat-footed on the ground but a little Rubbermaid step-stool I carry in the TV makes it easier. I had an unpleasant experience carrying the bikes on the back of the trailer when one of the mounting pads broke and let one end of the bike go. A bungee cord saved the day but I was lucky not to lose that bike. I'll be more comfortable when I can see the bikes in the mirror while going down the road.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Nice! If you don't mind measuring, what's the clearance between the jack-it and the trailer? With the 19 we have a window in the front with rock shield to open.

Thank you for posting!
It is 19 inches from the Jack-It to the trailer and there is about 13 when the bikes are loaded. If you are towing your 19 with a pick-up that doesn't have a cap on the bed I think you could turn the Jack-It around and the bikes would clear the tailgate and side rails. Then you could easily load the bikes while standing in the bed. I tried turning mine around just to see if the manual tongue jack was still usable and it is, so I have that option too.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I am 71 and not as strong or as flexible as I used to be and was a little worried about lifting the bikes up to the rack. I have been practicing here at home. The first few times were awkward, but I am getting the hang of it. I have been putting the lighter bike (32 lbs.) farthest from the TV and it is easy to load. I lift it up and roll it onto the lid of the storage box, lean it against the Jack-it, lift one end up and onto the wheel cradle and then walk around the tongue and lift the other end onto its cradle. The heavier bike (34 lbs) was more of a challenge until I figured out how to do it in two stages. There are anti-sway pins about 20 inches below the wheel cradles. I grasp the bike down low, on the frame near the chain wheel, then lift it high enough to hook one wheel on an anti-sway pin and then swing the other end up to the wheel cradle, then go back to the first wheel and lift it from the anti-sway pin to its cradle. I can do this while standing flat-footed on the ground but a little Rubbermaid step-stool I carry in the TV makes it easier. I had an unpleasant experience carrying the bikes on the back of the trailer when one of the mounting pads broke and let one end of the bike go. A bungee cord saved the day but I was lucky not to lose that bike. I'll be more comfortable when I can see the bikes in the mirror while going down the road.

What brand did you use on the rear?
(hoping it was not a Swagman Dispatch )
I agree seeing them is more comfortable, ours are invisible back there.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
It is 19 inches from the Jack-It to the trailer and there is about 13 when the bikes are loaded. If you are towing your 19 with a pick-up that doesn't have a cap on the bed I think you could turn the Jack-It around and the bikes would clear the tailgate and side rails. Then you could easily load the bikes while standing in the bed. I tried turning mine around just to see if the manual tongue jack was still usable and it is, so I have that option too.
thank you so much, the window rock shield is 17" so no problem if the bikes are off and even with them on you could open part way for light. We do tow with a pickup so turning it around might be an option too as long as the bikes clear the truck. I think we'll give it a try.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
What brand did you use on the rear?
(hoping it was not a Swagman Dispatch )
I agree seeing them is more comfortable, ours are invisible back there.
It was a Bell that I purchased at Wal-Mart. I had used it on the front of my Alaskan truck camper outfit and on the back of our Jeep. We had been on some rough roads with it on the back of the Jeep so I figured it would work OK on the back of the trailer. But we only made it about 100 miles from home before one of the pads that cradles the frame (and anchors the straps) broke. It is hard to imagine the forces at work back there. I replaced it with a Swagman. The Swagman has worked fine on the Jeep and I was going to use it on the back of the Escape until I spotted an ad for the Jack-It and decided to give it a try.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I like this solution. I usually carry 2 bikes (a mtn bike at 25lbs and a road bike at 18 lbs) on the roof of my 4Runner. I only stand 5' 5" so getting the bikes on and off the 4Runner's roof is at least as difficult as getting them onto the Jack-it bike rack. Having the bikes down lower will definitely help mpg and I hate the idea of the bikes hanging off the back. Besides the risk of being rear-ended - losing $7000 in bicycles, there is the issue of all of the dirt and grit being sucked up behind the trailer.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Read the specs; 25 lbs max. Had a bike carrier that used the wheels to tether and the company reached settled with me for 4 rims that were ruined. At $159 I would say you get what you pay for.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Read the specs; 25 lbs max. Had a bike carrier that used the wheels to tether and the company reached settled with me for 4 rims that were ruined. At $159 I would say you get what you pay for.
I think the 25 pound spec may be the weight of the rack. Page 4 of the manual says the weight limit is 80 pounds.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgugliotto View Post
I think the 25 pound spec may be the weight of the rack. Page 4 of the manual says the weight limit is 80 pounds.
That is correct. The rack weighs 25 lbs. and has a maximum weight capacity of 80 pounds. It is available with an 18.5 or 22.5 inch tower. I got the 22.5 because I wanted to clear the storage box lid.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgugliotto View Post
You are correct. I will still caution against any rack that hangs a bike by the wheels unless you have a cheapo bike. That company paid me $$$ for my damaged rims.
Because it was a confidential settlement I cannot say what rack it was, however the methodology is the same- the only difference is being on the tongue instead of the rear. While everyone knows there is more pendulum action in the rear, the tongue is shaking a bunch too.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #14

We will be traveling and camping the first half of October. This will be the shakedown cruise for the new bike rack and I'll post a report about how it performed when we get back.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
We will be traveling and camping the first half of October. This will be the shakedown cruise for the new bike rack and I'll post a report about how it performed when we get back.
Any update on the Jack-It bike rack? How does it work out for you?
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #16

I've been meaning to write a report with some photos for the "Product Review" section but haven't gotten around to it. The rack worked out very well. I anticipated that the bikes would always be a little difficult to load and unload, but with practice it became fast and easy. An Escape with the front storage box makes loading the bike closest to the trailer very easy, and that is the one most reviewers seem to have trouble with. The only problem I had was with the rubber straps. They are very robust and I found them a little difficult to hook and unhook because of arthritis in my hands. I anticipate that they will wear in and loosen up a little. I don't have an adapter to use the Jack-It on my tow vehicle so took my old rack along and used it on the days we wanted to leave the trailer in camp and take the bikes with us on the TV.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
That is correct. The rack weighs 25 lbs. and has a maximum weight capacity of 80 pounds. It is available with an 18.5 or 22.5 inch tower. I got the 22.5 because I wanted to clear the storage box lid.
I cannot see anywhere the option of 18.5 inch versus 22.5 inch. All I can find is the model: 429756 Lippert. And that doesn't really specify the height.

So, questions:
1. You said you got the 22.5 to clear the ETI storage box. Would you say that is more than enough height? That is, would the 18.5 version also clear the ETI box with the lid open? (22.5 clearing with more than 4 inches)
2. Where did you buy it such that you had a height choice?
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #18

I think I noticed somewhere on the Lippert website that the tower was available in two heights. I bought mine from Amazon and they appeared to be carrying only the 22.5" version, which is what I got. I just checked on Amazon and noticed that a customer in September complained he got the 18.5" version when he wanted the 22.5" so I guess Amazon does carry both. I just went out and measured and I think the storage box lid could be opened if the bikes were 4" lower, but it would be close. Advantages of the 18.5" model would be that the bikes wouldn't have to be lifted as high and a lower center of gravity. Disadvantages might be that it would be more difficult to access the contents of the storage box when the bikes are on the rack and you would lose the ability to reverse the rack and carry the bikes over the back of a truck bed, if a truck happens to be your tow vehicle.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #19

I've been looking at my owner's manual and it looks like the "Standard" model is 22.5" and is for trailers with electric tongue jacks and the "Manual" model is 18.5" and is for trailers with manual tongue jacks.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #20

Looks good; and for a 19 helps put more weight on the tongue.