Kayaks and bikes with a 5.0? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner
Posts: 195
Kayaks and bikes with a 5.0?

Don't mind me, we're still in the planning stages, but pretty much know what we want.

When we buy a truck, it will probably be one of the newer F-150's, the aluminum body ones with the 3.5 turbocharged engine. What Ford says about this truck: "The 2015 F-150 equipped with the 3.5L twin-turbo EcoBoost and rear-wheel drive can tow 12,200 pounds with a maximum payload of 3,180 pounds. This truck will offer the highest towing capability of any F-150 model. Adding four-wheel drive to the truck would decrease the towing capability to 12,000 pounds."

We want to get the 4 door model, and I'm wondering if our 13/14 feet kayaks would fit on the roof and not interfere with the 5th wheel? Also, we have two bikes we would like to carry. Any of you folks carry both, and if so, how do you do it?

235 days from now I'll be retired, and then the planning for this stuff will begin in earnest!

Thanks,

Frank
__________________

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Fournier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Baie-Comeau, Quebec
Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet F150 ecoboost
Posts: 21
yes it is

but depend size of is your box ,

Recreation to Go | www.trailerlife.com
__________________

Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Fournier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Baie-Comeau, Quebec
Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet F150 ecoboost
Posts: 21
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/366480488410435445/
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 3,069
To the day

Hi Frank
235 days but who’s countIng? Good luck with your truck and trailer configuration. Niagara Falls Calls.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
...We want to get the 4 door model, and I'm wondering if our 13/14 feet kayaks would fit on the roof and not interfere with the 5th wheel? Also, we have two bikes we would like to carry. Any of you folks carry both, and if so, how do you do it?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fournier View Post
The pinterst link shows kayaks mounted vertically on the rear bumpers of RV's. It is probably not a great idea for Frank to try this with his 13/14 ft kayaks, as they are likely to pose a hazard when passing below low structures. Kayaks that are 13/14 ft in length should fit well on the roof of a full size 4dr pickup. If towing a 5.0, the kayaks can be moved forward on the roof, even using a T-post off the front bumper of the truck to support the fronts of the kayaks. Use the hitch on the back of the 5.0 to carry the bikes.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The pinterst link shows kayaks mounted vertically on the rear bumpers of RV's. It is probably not a great idea for Frank to try this with his 13/14 ft kayaks, as they are likely to pose a hazard when passing below low structures. Kayaks that are 13/14 ft in length should fit well on the roof of a full size 4dr pickup. If towing a 5.0, the kayaks can be moved forward on the roof, even using a T-post off the front bumper of the truck to support the fronts of the kayaks. Use the hitch on the back of the 5.0 to carry the bikes.
Good idea Dave! Also, we have Thule Hullivators I hate to give up...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 4,300
I carry a canoe sometimes along with the bikes, the canoe is just under 15'.

Bikes on the rack on the back of the trailer, canoe on the roof of the truck on a Thule roof rack with canoe brackets. I've only done local travel with it but want to try it to PA later this year, chickened out taking it to GA for last years solar eclipse. With the canoe I have no issues with length as it sits mid point about a foot from the trailer, and that doesn't change on turns. For a pair of canoes you'd have to do a little measuring to see how much clearance you need for turns.

I looked into the T off the a front receiver, to the point of buying a Yakima T that was on close out at REI. After getting that it ended up being 12' between it and a headache rack so I gave up on the idea, not knowing that Thule made F150 roof rack feet for the racking I already own.

Ended up being too $ to outfit the front T to a rack on the roof as opposed to just getting the new feet for the rack I already had so I went that route. It's a very solid setup contrary to how it looks. It would be even better on a Crew cab then on my Super cab. I see no reason you can't do the same, I take it you already have the Thule cross bars and legs for the Hullavators.

Got the idea from a guy I met in FL that had 2 kayaks on his F150 roof.

On edit. I have an 8' bed, which makes a big difference.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I carry a canoe sometimes along with the bikes, the canoe is just under 15'.

Bikes on the rack on the back of the trailer, canoe on the roof of the truck on a Thule roof rack with canoe brackets. I've only done local travel with it but want to try it to PA later this year, chickened out taking it to GA for last years solar eclipse. With the canoe I have no issues with length as it sits mid point about a foot from the trailer, and that doesn't change on turns. For a pair of canoes you'd have to do a little measuring to see how much clearance you need for turns.

I looked into the T off the a front receiver, to the point of buying a Yakima T that was on close out at REI. After getting that it ended up being 12' between it and a headache rack so I gave up on the idea, not knowing that Thule made F150 roof rack feet for the racking I already own.

Ended up being too $ to outfit the front T to a rack on the roof as opposed to just getting the new feet for the rack I already had so I went that route. It's a very solid setup contrary to how it looks. It would be even better on a Crew cab then on my Super cab. I see no reason you can't do the same, I take it you already have the Thule cross bars and legs for the Hullavators.

Got the idea from a guy I met in FL that had 2 kayaks on his F150 roof.

On edit. I have an 8' bed, which makes a big difference.
Yes, you can get an 8' bed with an extended cab, but not with a 4 door. 6.5 and 5.5, and we will wait to find the right one. Actually we started out with a Yakima system, then bought the Hullivators and adapted them to the Yakima racks. It works fine. I would probably buy Thule racks for the pickup.

What kind of bike rack on the back Bob?

Thanks,

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Saluda, North Carolina
Trailer: 2012 F-150 FX4 Coyote V8 ( 2018 Escape 21 in June! )
Posts: 280
If possible, you could order the exact truck you want. Getting the 6.5' bed is nearly impossible on the used market, although my sister was able to find one.
They are quite rare.

You might even get a better price on a "custom-ordered" F-150, since the dealer would then only be an agent, not having to add it to their inventory.
__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
If possible, you could order the exact truck you want. Getting the 6.5' bed is nearly impossible on the used market, although my sister was able to find one.
They are quite rare.

You might even get a better price on a "custom-ordered" F-150, since the dealer would then only be an agent, not having to add it to their inventory.
Not buying a new truck. Did that once and never will again. I have had a wide variety of trucks, all used. My earliest one was a 1955 GMC. I had a 1962 stake rack Chevy too. Haven't had a truck for about a year or so, but haven't really needed one.

I have patience and will start looking when the time is appropriate.

Thanks,

Frank
__________________

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.