Kitchen Faucet Replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Kitchen Faucet Replacement

We are going to replace our plastic kitchen sink (prior owner may have poured something too hot in it and it sort of melted and also leaks) with a stainless model. May as well replace the white faucet with a brushed nickel one now...

Are RV faucets different than house faucets? The spacing at 8" inches for the inlets is the same as our home kitchen faucet. Are RV faucets designed to work at lower water pressure? They do appear to be smaller in scale and cheaper. Seems like we could just go to a plumbing store and find something we like?

Thanks!
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There's no functional difference between residential and RV faucets, but RV manufacturers tend to use cheaper stuff. Fortunately, although perhaps only coincidentally, the cheaper stuff is lighter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Followed Robert’s (rbryan4) lead and went with this Peerless model. Works great if you are looking for a basic high rise two handle style.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post140567

Direct link to faucet on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-P299...ilpage_o04_s00
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I did the same as above. Not only is it a simple and elegant switch, but it doesn’t squeak like the original one did. Watched prices for a while and eventually The Home Depot had a great sale. (Even less than Amazon)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
Seems like we could just go to a plumbing store and find something we like?
You can indeed, but keep a few things in mind. As the others who have commented above have mentioned, I went with the Peerless high rise linked above. The reason was that it didn't require any mods to the existing plumbing and was a direct replacement. The stock faucet in my trailer (and yours) had 8" centers but was threaded on both the hot and cold side with 1/2" fpt, to match up to the pex lines with the 1/2" plastic nuts on the ends. It had what's referred to as a wet eschutcheon. That means water enters the base or the eschutcheon of the faucet and is mixed internally. That's different than most household faucets you'll find at the plumbing store or big box store. They usually have the flex lines already attached to the faucet with smaller fittings designed to connect to the typical small water supply connections under a household sink. If they have an eschutcheon, it's not wet, but simply provides a base for the faucet, and the internal valve of the faucet is responsible for mixing the water. This limits your choices at the typical store, UNLESS you want to redo the water lines under the sink in your trailer. Newer Escapes use a single lever faucet with different connections.

Provided you want to tackle the plumbing modifications under your trailer sink, and the possible mods to the mounting surface, you can use pretty much any faucet they sell at the store. I just didn't want to bother, so a direct replacement it was.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Kevin,

The Peerless looks like a great solution - I was getting ready to order when I noticed on the Lowe's website it says three hole installation only. Is this a mis-print? I can't imagine why it would need the third hole.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The Peerless looks like a great solution - I was getting ready to order when I noticed on the Lowe's website it says three hole installation only. Is this a mis-print? I can't imagine why it would need the third hole.
The installation document linked on the product page suggests that the (optional) sprayer is connected to the faucet through the centre hole... but if you have the sprayer you need a fourth hole. Without the sprayer, I don't see a need for the centre hole, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I can't imagine why it would need the third hole.
It doesn’t. It installed easily with the stock 2 hole configuration that ETI uses.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Another option to throw out there ... our RV tech recommended this one: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Faucets/.../PF231461.html (ours has the mounting plate). We wanted a one-handled faucet and this fit the bill for us.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Another option to throw out there ... our RV tech recommended this one: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Faucets/.../PF231461.html (ours has the mounting plate). We wanted a one-handled faucet and this fit the bill for us.
Any faucet is an option, but in this case not unless you want to rework the plumbing and add a mounting plate. The one you linked is not a direct replacement because the supply lines are different. Secondly, the classic trailer countertop with the older Phoenix faucet has two holes on 8" centers. The faucet linked is a single hole center mount.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #11

I will defer to your expertise. Since we didn't do the installation of the new faucet, we don't have any idea what it took to make the replacement. That said, in looking at the faucet in the trailer, it doesn't have the Phoenix name on it so I may be mistaken in the manufacturer (even though that's the name I thought was on the bill .... ).

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I will defer to your expertise. Since we didn't do the installation of the new faucet, we don't have any idea what it took to make the replacement. That said, in looking at the faucet in the trailer, it doesn't have the Phoenix name on it so I may be mistaken in the manufacturer (even though that's the name I thought was on the bill .... ).
Yes, the original faucet is a Phoenix. It's not really the brand that's a factor, but the hookups. Can you tell me if you replaced the stock faucet with the one you linked? If so, I'm assuming the connections had to be modified and a center hole cut in order to mount it.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #13

Since we were out cleaning and polishing the trailer (yes, we need rain but I can't complain about the warm, sunny weather), I went ahead and crawled under the sink to take a look. Yep, all the hoses are coming out of the center hole. It would appear that the tech enlarged the hole to accommodate everything. And this is would be why we have a plate on our faucet ...
Attached Thumbnails
Under Counter.jpg   Faucet, Kitchen.jpg  

Jan

- Cesare Pavese