Kitchen Packing? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Kitchen Packing?

So we've had our 17B for about three months now and I'd say we've camped out about 1/3 of those nights...in our backyard. Our little girls beg to sleep in it almost nightly. It's the "clubhouse" for them, so out we go.

But to my request for advice from The Knowledgebase, as I really am a noob. Learning fast, but def still a noob. So today's question is, what are some good options for securing pots, pans, and other kitchen accoutrement so they don't knock cabinets open and disperse themselves throughout the trailer as we bump down the road? Yeah, the couple of times we've camped not-in-the-backyard...you can surmise what's happened.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Heavy stuff goes in lower cupboards.
Bungee cords strung through the cupboard handles will help keep them closed.
I'd offer more, like have cupboards dedicated to certain things, and put stuff back in the same place, but the Old Bag likes to put things where ever there is room.
Attached Thumbnails
Can cupboard bungee.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I've always kept pots and pans under the furnace in that cupboard--never had an issue with it opening.
We keep all food stuff (including tins)above the fridge and it opened a couple times so we put another one of those clasps on it like is already there--so far so good...
Old 01-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Hardware stores and others have rubbery type shelf lining in rolls. We have that in the main kitchen cabinets. Nothing is likely to move on it. We have not had cabinets or anything come open except under the bed with our big heavy bins. We used Gear Ties from a sports shop on those handles.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I replaced the standard cabinet door/drawer roller catches with a stronger model, haven't come open since. We've always used the rubber shelf lining.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
On Kitchen Packing

We had the door issue initially on our 17b, but once I tightened the u shaped catches and snugged all the screws it seemed to resolve it. We also use the non-skid type liner from Wally, first thing I put in the new 19. I've used the bungees like Glenn when I've done any washboard and it was very effective.
We did have to devise a refrigerator lock as we had more problems with that than cabinets. I used two bungee ball cords and two eye hooks and made an easy to use fridge lock.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
We also use the bars designed to keep things secure in the fridge in the cupboard that holds the heavy pots and pans just in case. Probably overkill.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #8

Trailer: none
The trick with the cabinets is to make sure there is very little free space in there for things to crash around and potentially knock the door open. If necessary, stuff a roll of paper towels or regular towels into the 'free' space. Then secure with bungies if need be.
We've never had problems with the upper cabinets so we don't secure them with anything. We use small plastic boxes, etc to contain the assorted items in all of the cabinets. It helps keep them organized and in place.
We do thread bungies through the lower cabinets as that's where the larger heavier stuff resides. If the contents of the cabinets are containers with liquids (like water jugs), then they seem to be more likely to break free if not securely confined.
We secure our fridge door with a strap as it once fell off on a rough washboard road, taking out the cabinet door below. No problems since we began using the strap.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We use bungie cords on the two-door lower cabinets but find that the upper cabinets and the cabinet below the refrigerator are fine (and we've navigated some 'interesting' roads). That said, one mishap with the refrigerator (my fault as I forgot to lock the latch) and others having issues with the door coming open, made me a little nervous so we now bungie the door closed, stretching the cord from the pull-down table next to the refer to the closet door.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Thanks for ideas on where to store things; I for one am still finding my way. I have been in contact with a member who manufactures unique storage widgets http://www.rvwidgetworks.com . I haven't bought anything, yet. Still thinking....

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Thanks for ideas on where to store things; I for one am still finding my way. I have been in contact with a member who manufactures unique storage widgets RV Widget Works | , . I haven't bought anything, yet. Still thinking....

Lorna
I've got some things in mind that I want to get from Charlie as well.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Okay, got the bungie cord thingie figured out. Now, what about stuff in the drawers? What do you use to hold your silverware and other items?

I've seen some photos of folks with hooks attached to the wall near the stove where they hang things. Do those fall off while traveling down the road? Iffy roads or not.

Where do you get those over the door towel hangers? I'm assuming the towels fall off while traveling.

What about the counter top insert that goes inside sink? Does that stay in place?

What about any add-on cutting boards, such as the ones some folks have over their stovetop?

Basically, how much stuff goes flying around the trailer while you're driving down the road and will every single thing need to be latched or strapped down or put away behind doors?

Whew!

Thanks for advice, comments, whatever.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
The shelf liner stuff works great...in between also..which eliminates rattle noise.

Gear Ties are the cheapest at Home Depot....usually near the tool corral!

PS gear ties have 1001 uses......
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #14

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Basically, how much stuff goes flying around the trailer while you're driving down the road and will every single thing need to be latched or strapped down or put away behind doors?
Anything that is breakable or that would damage the trailer if it bounced around inside needs to be secured and/or stowed.
Just imagine an earthquake inside your trailer and that is what is happening while you drive down the road...some earthquakes will be worse than others and it is hard to predict ahead of time what road conditions, curbs, potholes, speed bumps, etc that you will run into on a given trip.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think storage is a huge issue.
I've had one knife release from the magnetic knife holder a couple times. I use Rubbermaid storage baskets in various places, including for utensils.
Attached Thumbnails
knife holder.jpg   Rubbermaid basket 2.jpg   Rubbermaid basket.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
For cutlery I used Alf's idea of a small Rubbermaid cutlery container that goes on the top edges of the drawer. Gives you a double decker drawer.

I have a couple hooks put on the stove fan back--then I put loops on all the dishcloths/tea towels/pot holders and facecloths and towels-(for the bathroom)-so they all hang by the loops and stay in place. We have the over the door holder for paper towels and it is placed so the paper towels are inside the under the sink cupboard...

We also use the little Rubbermaid containers that Glenn showed and they stay in place with pencils etc... I used to keep the cut out piece for the sink in place when travelling, but now often just put our small garbage can in there.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my step dad just bought me one of those knife magnet things for my trailer. Do you put the knives on that while traveling?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
my step dad just bought me one of those knife magnet things for my trailer. Do you put the knives on that while traveling?

You bet the magnet on ours holds great, knives never move.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I also use Alf's idea with the small Rubbermaid cutlery thing it sits on top of the drawer so i can also use the drawer space below it
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Just imagine an earthquake inside your trailer and that is what is happening while you drive down the road...some earthquakes will be worse than others and it is hard to predict ahead of time what road conditions, curbs, potholes, speed bumps, etc that you will run into on a given trip.
Oh, I like that analogy. Not that I've *ever* been through an earthquake living in the Seattle area. Nope, never.

So, yeah, that definitely gives me an idea of what all is going on. Remember, this is our first trailer, so we're rather clueless about many things regarding trailer life and usage.

Thanks!