KoJack levelers are working! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and since weight is our nemesis, a couple of 2x8's under each wheel may weigh less than 2 levelers, power wrench, batteries for wrench. I know when I carried 2 of the B@ls they were heavy.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes, but can you buy 2X10s on Amazon?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and since weight is our nemesis, a couple of 2x8's under each wheel may weigh less than 2 levelers, power wrench, batteries for wrench. I know when I carried 2 of the B@ls they were heavy.
Not much of a nemesis when you have a Tundra or F150. The OP is planning on solo trips sounds like and in that event I can see the benefit of these BAL-type levelers. Personally I still prefer the ones you suggested- the slant levelers from Camping World, now for $19.77. They're compact, will stack together as a rectangle for when you need them as a tongue jack stand while hitched to remove a WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
slant.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yes, but can you buy 2X10s on Amazon?
More importantly these days, are batteries included.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
And when things get really hilly a couple of BAL chocks work great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9645.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #26

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Not much of a nemesis when you have a Tundra or F150. The OP is planning on solo trips sounds like and in that event I can see the benefit of these BAL-type levelers.
Yep - already have 9 planned (some booked) and I know that's not all that I could/will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
More importantly these days, are batteries included.
Hey, that's what the monster, super huge packs from Costco are for! Least for regular batteries. I have a surgical nurse friend that saves the unused AA batteries from surgery packs for me as I include one with every clock I sell. Yay for free stuff!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
On a related note I'm amazed that the Madison Avenue people can sell cars and trucks with emphasis on frivolous features like tailgate helper handles, foot operated rear hatch sensors and contrived driving situations all the while not mentioning horsepower, engine torque or power curves.
While I find that annoying, too, I realize that it works this way because for most people every available vehicle has far more power than it needs. Power and torque curves are nearly irrelevant for people with a 8-speed to 10-speed automatic transmission, and if shown the data they wouldn't know what to make of it anyway.

People are interested in the features which make a difference to them. If the under-tire levelers do what a person wants, then they're desirable. If doing that is more important to the buyer than the weight or cost, then they're a rational choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You're right about that Brian. They don't know
They don't care and 99% couldn't operate a standard transmission. There's the theft solution.
Hook your rig to a manual tranny vehicle. With no power steering and straight brakes. I believe she'd be there in the mornin'.
If it was gone, all the suspects would be over 60.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I agree, leveling blocks simple and look better.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think with many of these type systems, the key to the success of them in individuals hands, is first for folks to just get out and try things without the adding of technology. First try 2x6's, then Lynx Blocks if desired, maybe Andersen Levellers, and if none of this suits your fancy, move on to the bigger stuff like these levellers. To short circuit this process takes away a part of a potentially important learning phase.

If one was to go camp, hike, bike, paddle, etc, then at the end of the day hit the hay in a not perfectly levelled trailer, chances are you will sleep like a baby anyway. I know, I've tried it, many, many times.

What I am getting at has been discussed many times before, it is the going camping without all the doodads that are not necessary for camping, and figure out what best works for you. I know I have been sucked into the hype of things only to realize I did not need it, and have abandoned ideas. But most things we incorporate (as likely many others do to), is stuff that weeks/month/years of experience has taught us will be beneficial to our style, a style that is constantly evolving.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There is a huge difference between "we" camping and "me" camping. For those with bumper pulls and have a mate to help guide you back over the ball good for you, but it's totally different for solos. Thank goodness for a camera aimed at the hitch. Otherwise it's in-out-pull forward, backup... 10 times. The same with leveling. I bet couples have a routine where the mate checks the bubble levels and determines where the trailer needs to be (forward or back) to be close to level. Solos have to get in and out of the tug. Need to back onto or drive up on blocks or the Anderson? Anyone tell you when to stop? Guess what... doesn't work so well for solos. I can (and have done it) when the blocks need to be on the drivers side. I can't see the tires on the passenger side because the step is in the way. For me certain technology reduces stress and helps along the way... without needing to be fed!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can see wheels on both sides of my 17, in my mirrors. I do plan to put another level on driver side and on the front of the trailer so I don't have to walk around the trailer. I'll get to it one day.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With the OEM trailer mirrors on my F150, I could see the tires on my 8' wide temp fifth wheel. Maybe not on the Escape though? Regardless, most of the time backing in the trailer I just do it solo, as it helps maintain peace in the marriage. Yes, sometimes it means getting in or out of the truck 2 or 3 times, but I am very used to that. Backup cameras do help with hitching, making it a one shot deal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #34

If a solo traveler's main concern with leveling side-to-side is knowing when it is level from the driver's seat, the straightforward solution is a big level mounted on the front of the trailer (and visible to the driver directly or via the inside rearview mirror). This is not always the only concern with using leveling ramps, but at least this one can be addressed.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With the OEM trailer mirrors on my F150, I could see the tires on my 8' wide temp fifth wheel. Maybe not on the Escape though?
With the classic Escape shape, the tires are tucked in significantly; not necessarily so on a square-box trailer. I see that on Jim's Rustler the fenders actually stick out beyond the wall surface.

Of course, Jim's new 5.0TA is the 2017 style, so the wheels are a couple of inches further out on each side than the classic style... but so is the body, and the tires are still recessed from the wall face.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #36

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
People are interested in the features which make a difference to them. If the under-tire levelers do what a person wants, then they're desirable. If doing that is more important to the buyer than the weight or cost, then they're a rational choice.
Well said, thanks Brian!

And the weight of the KoJacks is minor compared to what else I'll be hauling around when I vend at shows. One small black plastic container (from the Container Store in their garage storage section) filled with tile coasters is over 20#. And I haul more than one of those with me.

Dirk knows how much I haul around to shows. He's a mechanical engineer and knows far more about this stuff than I do. When he tells me I'll be fine with The Trailer hitched up and with everything added for myself, trailer usage, plus show stuff - I believe him.

Thanks Donna for your comments as well.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There is a huge difference between "we" camping and "me" camping. For those with bumper pulls and have a mate to help guide you back over the ball good for you, but it's totally different for solos. Thank goodness for a camera aimed at the hitch. Otherwise it's in-out-pull forward, backup... 10 times. The same with leveling. I bet couples have a routine where the mate checks the bubble levels and determines where the trailer needs to be (forward or back) to be close to level. Solos have to get in and out of the tug. Need to back onto or drive up on blocks or the Anderson? Anyone tell you when to stop? Guess what... doesn't work so well for solos. I can (and have done it) when the blocks need to be on the drivers side. I can't see the tires on the passenger side because the step is in the way. For me certain technology reduces stress and helps along the way... without needing to be fed!
At least, when solo, you don't get yelled at like me
Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Not much of a nemesis when you have a Tundra or F150. The OP is planning on solo trips sounds like and in that event I can see the benefit of these BAL-type levelers. Personally I still prefer the ones you suggested- the slant levelers from Camping World, now for $19.77. They're compact, will stack together as a rectangle for when you need them as a tongue jack stand while hitched to remove a WDH.
That is what we have Ross . Love them . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Well said, thanks Brian!

And the weight of the KoJacks is minor compared to what else I'll be hauling around when I vend at shows. One small black plastic container (from the Container Store in their garage storage section) filled with tile coasters is over 20#. And I haul more than one of those with me.

Dirk knows how much I haul around to shows. He's a mechanical engineer and knows far more about this stuff than I do. When he tells me I'll be fine with The Trailer hitched up and with everything added for myself, trailer usage, plus show stuff - I believe him.

Thanks Donna for your comments as well.
Having your Tundra Laura ,there is no reason to not get what will make it easier for you . I have a spotter so I don't need your levelers . Linda yells stop before I back off our level blocks , going too far . . I would have to rethink things too if I was trailering solo. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If a solo traveler's main concern with leveling side-to-side is knowing when it is level from the driver's seat, the straightforward solution is a big level mounted on the front of the trailer (and visible to the driver directly or via the inside rearview mirror). This is not always the only concern with using leveling ramps, but at least this one can be addressed.
Those things are Fugly, not putting one on my b e a u t i f u l trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote