Latchable plastic storage boxes for overhead? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Latchable plastic storage boxes for overhead?

I'm looking for some small, latchable plastic (clear) storage bins to use to help keep things tidy in the overhead storage. Latchable just in case, clear so it is easy to find things. Does anyone have something they love that works for this?

I've had some latchable bins that lose the latches too fast.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have never had a storage bin open when travelling. Now, I have not done the Alaska Highway but I did do Cape Breton Island. Sorting things is great, by why add one more step of opening a latch to get at things? It is possible that a hard plastic storage bin will make the overhead compartment more likely to open. If you only store the recommended light things atop, adding a bin will concentrate the force of movement in one place and add to that the weight of the contents of the bin and you maybe asking for more problems than solving.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

I think it is a lot easier to keep things sorted into bins, and also want latches because that prevents accidentally dumping them as I take them in and out, especially things that will be above the bed where they are harder to reach.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Latchable plastic storage boxes for overhead?

Check out the Container Store. We use the shoe boxes and the tall shoe boxes and love them both! They are clear and the tops click onto the boxes.
http://www.containerstore.com/s/clos...bins-boxes/123
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Thanks, those look good.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have had bins at floor level with tools, clothes and other items but not overhead unless they are very very small. In the overhead areas, we are more likely to have the soft packers (or nothing like Paul) that were mentioned recently.

I saw one person who said that he had everything --- everything --- in the trailer in various sizes of zip-lock bags. His reasoning was that a lot of space is lost or wasted with other kinds of containers, which I think is true. You can also sort with many of the soft vinyl or similar zipped holders.

You can find all kinds of bins and soft containers at quite a few of the big well-known stores. I also like the Container Store and have a number of trailer items from there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #7

Oh, yes, I forgot about the soft packs. Those are a good idea, too. I don't stuff all that much into my storage so I'm not worried about space as much as being able to find things. I don't want a bunch of stuff under the bed because one of my dogs will hang out there. But I figure the closet has plenty of space, too.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'm looking for some small, latchable plastic (clear) storage bins to use to help keep things tidy in the overhead storage. Latchable just in case, clear so it is easy to find things. Does anyone have something they love that works for this?

I've had some latchable bins that lose the latches too fast.

I bought some at Costco. I'm not sure if they will fit in the upper bins but I am using mine to organize things under my bench seats. They come in strapped together sets of 4 or 5. About mmmm ... 12' long, 8" wide and 6" tall. I like them and are sturdy enough for my tools and will fit through my exterior hatches. I forget the cost ... but was reasonable.

Sorry I'm not more descriptive,
Tom