Leaking bathroom faucet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 19/July-18
Leaking bathroom faucet

Just picked up our 19 this morning and are down in Bellingham. As soon as we hooked into water the bathroom tap started leaking. About a drip every 2 seconds. Anyone know if it’s a tap with a washer and hopefully and simple fix?
dashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It is quite likely it is a piece of crud flushed out of the water line. Try opening the tap full volume for just a bit see if it flushes it out, or sometimes you have to pull the cartridge out to clean the seat. These are not super expensive taps at all, and not certain if replacement washers are available. If it persists, give Escape a call.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Where is the leak, out of the faucet or at a supply line underneath? Is is where the shower hooks up?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Sorry I don’t know if the bath faucet uses a washer or not but I have a question just out of curiosity - If you disconnect or turn off the city water inlet (so it’s not pressurizing the system) then turn on the water pump, does it still leak? Also, are you using a water pressure regulator? High city water pressure is a possible cause of leaks. If you are using a regulator and you also experience leakage while using onboard pump, then you might have a defective faucet unit, in which case you should call ETI for advice.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You are using a pressure regulator, right?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Yes I do have a pressure regulator.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

From the faucet itself
Old 07-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #8

Ok thanks. Will try that
Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The faucet you have is probably a Phoenix PF222241 Catalina 4in Lavatory Faucet, White.

This website has a link to download the manual.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Faucets/...BoCb10QAvD_BwE

From the manual:
6. WASHERLESS CARTRIDGE
If the faucet develops a leak, it may be the result of debris in the water line which is preventing a good seal. Turn the faucet full on and off several times to flush out any material that may be lodged in the faucet.

If the problem persists, follow these steps:
Turn off the water supply. Open the faucet to relieve any line pressure. Unsnap the Hot or Cold index button on the handle. Remove the handle screw using a phillips screwdriver. Lift the handle off. Remove the cartridge nut counterclockwise with an 8” crescent wrench. Remove the cartridge by gently prying the cartridge flange up with a small blade screwdriver. Remove rubber seat washer if necessary to remove debris. Replace all components in reverse order. Make sure triangle arrow on bonnet face points outboard and keys are in keyway. Turn water on and check for leaks. Replace handle, screw and button.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We had a similar problem with our new 19 we picked up in Jan 2018.
We were on city water with a regulator and had a leaky bathroom faucet.
After a few flushes of shower head and faucet it cleared itself which indicates to me it was debris in the line. Hopefully you willl have the same issue.
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21'
We picked up our 21' and it had a leak near the bathroom faucet almost immediately. For us it was at the connection to the water lines right beneath the faucet. I tightened the appropriate connection and it was fine. Reace said that sometimes the hot water effects the seals allowing the system to pass their tests but have a small problem later. Just FYI.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
There should be a way the water system to undergo a pressure test to dectect leaks. I built mobile homes back in my diaper days and before we did the water pressure test we did a air pressure test. Granted mobile and regular houses are at a higher pressure, seem there should be a way to do at least do a modified air pressure test . Just a thought
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #13

A good long flush seems to have done the trick. Thanks
Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
There should be a way the water system to undergo a pressure test to dectect leaks. I built mobile homes back in my diaper days and before we did the water pressure test we did a air pressure test.
Reace did an air pressure test on our 21 after he did the hot water line repair and said that they are all pressure tested before leaving the factory. As Donna calls them, our trailers are rolling earthquakes and lots of things can come loose no matter how well they are tested at the factory.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Reace did an air pressure test on our 21 after he did the hot water line repair and said that they are all pressure tested before leaving the factory. As Donna calls them, our trailers are rolling earthquakes and lots of things can come loose no matter how well they are tested at the factory.
RV parks seem to have a fair amount of crud in their water systems. Reace's pressure test will confirm that there are no bad connections but won't keep stuff out of the water lines. One of these seems to lower the crud level in the water factor. I'm still amazed when I see a RV with the water hose connected with no filter - that's just asking for trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Camco water filter.jpg  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #16

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
RV parks seem to have a fair amount of crud in their water systems. Reace's pressure test will confirm that there are no bad connections but won't keep stuff out of the water lines. One of these seems to lower the crud level in the water factor. I'm still amazed when I see a RV with the water hose connected with no filter - that's just asking for trouble.
If you neglected to read the little blurb on them and just hooked up a new one you would have black carbon in your water supply. I've never done that but did notice how black the first few seconds of water is that comes out of one when flushing it. I bet there is someone out there that hooked one up dry.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Another example: First year with our 21', no water leaks. Reace came to replace our water lines to the shower, pressure tested the whole system to 90 psi, no leaks. Two trips and several hundred miles down the road, we suddenly discovered a small leak under the galley sink. For no apparent reason, the hose nut on one of the water lines to the sink had loosened just a bit. Tightened the hose nut, problem solved. If you're using your camper, things will happen. Reminds me of a quote by John A. Shedd, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." Safe travels, happy camping.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote