Leaking Shower Vent? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hey, Jubal, be sure and post your version...I can see it coming!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Hey Pat
Thanks for the information. What are the length and width dimensions of the outside flange ? Are the dimensions the same as the OE vent flange ?
Morning Jubal . The fiberglass replacement pieces are 12in x12in . After you remove the whole 9 in vent inside and out this needs to be a little larger to cover existing hole . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Hey, Jubal, be sure and post your version...I can see it coming!
Parker
You have excellent foresight ! Just have a problem with the cost of the ETI flanges, although they appear well made for the application. One step at at time. Am finally finished with processing firewood for this year.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
It is vent line #VP-543. What I found funny on Amazon there are 2 with same man. Numbers but 2 different prices and the weights were very different .
In the Ventline catalog page (also available as page 12 of the Ventline catalog) there are two IDs shown for the Vanair powered vent, but the only difference is that one (VP-543SP) is a single unit packaged individually, and the other (VP-543) is a pack of a dozen of them.

The eTrailer listing includes this:
Quote:
Note: Not for use above tubs, showers or range cooking surfaces.
... but the catalog doesn't mention any such restriction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In the Ventline catalog page (also available as page 12 of the Ventline catalog) there are two IDs shown for the Vanair powered vent, but the only difference is that one (VP-543SP) is a single unit packaged individually, and the other (VP-543) is a pack of a dozen of them.

The eTrailer listing includes this:

... but the catalog doesn't mention any such restriction.
Brian Oliver , Airstream , etc all use this for bath fan . Maybe that note is for a home shower which is different from a RV shower . The home shower would make a lot more steam and condensation .They have to put that in there because people will do all kinds of things . Also what is the difference from a powered 14 in bath vent , which I previously had in camper just about the same just square not round ? Anyway my 9 in is going as soon as I can get to it . There was no sp in manufacturers number for these fans . The VP is everywhere as a single unit . Pat
Old 11-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Parker
You have excellent foresight ! Just have a problem with the cost of the ETI flanges, although they appear well made for the application. One step at at time. Am finally finished with processing firewood for this year.
Well, it was pretty obvious from your questions! I'll probably go with the ETI one, just to save time. I like that they appear to come already drilled with the hole pattern to match the unit coming out. I know all that's doable at home, but I think I'll spring for their version. Good luck, and do post some photos.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Brian Oliver , Airstream , etc all use this for bath fan . Maybe that note is for a home shower which is different from a RV shower . The home shower would make a lot more steam and condensation .They have to put that in there because people will do all kinds of things . Also what is the difference from a powered 14 in bath vent , which I previously had in camper just about the same just square not round ?
I'm not too concerned about the vent's suitability for the bathroom, as the Ventline doesn't mention an issue... but then, I was unable to find the product manual online. I agree there's no fundamental difference for this purpose between this and a 14 inch vent, but those are usually installed in a bathroom outside of the shower stall; also, details of motors and switches matter to moisture tolerance.

I can't imagine that the eTrailer note was for home shower use, as it was provided on a site exclusively for trailer equipment, and almost no one would use a 12-volt DC ventilation fan in a house. Ventline does have a home bathroom fan (on the next page of the catalog), but it is a completely different design.

Quote:
There was no sp in manufacturers number for these fans . The VP is everywhere as a single unit . Pat
I'm sure that RV manufacturers buy these things by the case, but I'm not surprised that retail sources are all the Single Pack, and some (not all) omit the "SP" from the end of the product ID.

One Amazon retailer lists the weight at 3.2 pounds, but also lists the current rating at 2.8 amps; Ventline says 1.5 amps. I assume that one retailer has just copied the wrong content into their listing.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Same fan is installed in every Casita with a bathroom and we had one for 6 years. Motor went bad once and it was a simple, quick swap out. Escape has been using them for years in the 5.0 and now installs them as standard equipment in most if not all models.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #69

Quote:
I'm not too concerned about the vent's suitability for the bathroom, as the Ventline doesn't mention an issue... but then, I was unable to find the product manual online. I agree there's no fundamental difference for this purpose between this and a 14 inch vent, but those are usually installed in a bathroom outside of the shower stall; also, details of motors and switches matter to moisture tolerance.

I can't imagine that the eTrailer note was for home shower use, as it was provided on a site exclusively for trailer equipment, and almost no one would use a 12-volt DC ventilation fan in a house. Ventline does have a home bathroom fan (on the next page of the catalog), but it is a completely different design.

I'm sure that RV manufacturers buy these things by the case, but I'm not surprised that retail sources are all the Single Pack, and some (not all) omit the "SP" from the end of the product ID.

One Amazon retailer lists the weight at 3.2 pounds, but also lists the current rating at 2.8 amps; Ventline says 1.5 amps. I assume that one retailer has just copied the wrong content into their listing.
Brian you are a wealth of information however in this instance I have to disagree . First the power bath fan in my camper was 21 years old , never had to change motor or such . Just before sold it I had to change the cover which was 12 years old under the max covers you can get to help with opening in rain and uv 's . I always like to use my shower and did so all the time used the power fan ,all the time . I went to vent line site and printed out the replacement detailed parts with pictures on the new bath fan I will be installing . I knew you can replace parts on this new vent line fan but now I have a breakdown of any parts if I chose to ever fix this one , if needed. I mean no disrepect to you Brian , I always read your intelligent information you give in the threads . But Brian this will be a great improvement over 9 in .These fans are what many manufacturers use . I am so glad Escape has a solution now . Pat
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #70

Brian I looked everwhere for this fan even Airstream parts they sell theirs for almost 100. I was wondering if there was 2 different ,same fans ,but different quality . Pat
Old 11-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #71

Quote:
Brian you are a wealth of information however in this instance I have to disagree . First the power bath fan in my camper was 21 years old , never had to change motor or such ...
No disagreement - I just passed on the eTrailer note because it was relevant. If that note is not really applicable to the Ventline Vanair, that's good.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #72

Quote:
No disagreement - I just passed on the eTrailer note because it was relevant. If that note is not really applicable to the Ventline Vanair, that's good.
No problem Pat
Old 11-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Well, it was pretty obvious from your questions! I'll probably go with the ETI one, just to save time. I like that they appear to come already drilled with the hole pattern to match the unit coming out. I know all that's doable at home, but I think I'll spring for their version. Good luck, and do post some photos.
It appears that the 12" flange adapter is only available from ETI. I do not know if the holes in the 12" flange are the same as those in the OE flange, maybe Pat can compare them.The OE flange is 11 1/2" square. The raised fiberglass surface is 12" square. The 12" flange will have to be sealed with butyl tape or some other sealing tape.
Pat it is easier to read 12" rather than 12 in in your posts.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #74

Quote:
It appears that the 12" flange adapter is only available from ETI. I do not know if the holes in the 12" flange are the same as those in the OE flange, maybe Pat can compare them.The OE flange is 11 1/2" square. The raised fiberglass surface is 12" square. The 12" flange will have to be sealed with butyl tape or some other sealing tape.
Pat it is easier to read 12" rather than 12 in in your posts.
Jubal I will be using trailer soon ,that is when I will do this changeout providing it is not raining or extreme wind ,as soon as I get home . Escape said the outside piece matches my holes . The inside I am to just drive screws in ( that piece is heavier 1/4 inches .) On the outside piece you use butyl tape ,after you have removed and cleaned up everything first . Seal the screws heads as before with pro flex. Inside before you screw up that piece caulk piece , put it up , that will help hold . and screw it up the fan is heavier then the 9 in . I am going to follow Chris 's mod ,widen the bath light wiring hole , put a wire up there and hope it comes out the 9 in roof hole . Add my 2 wires to wire and pull it through . Hopefully first try . Will take pics when I do this . Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Anybody done this yet? I prefer not to be the first outside the factory.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Anybody done this yet? I prefer not to be the first outside the factory.
Doug because of weather right now I have not attempted yet . It looks pretty straight forward and I can't wait . For Christmas I got a inspection camera that will help getting those wires across shower roof and down to light . Or if easier wires up from light ,there is a hook on inspection camera to grab and pull wire over to opening . I'm probably not getting it done until March or April . I am in the middle of another project in house right now . Also need to get my bearings done before I go camping . Trailer is covered right now . I promised to take pics too. Someone on the Escape forum has this factory mod on their roof . Maybe the factory did it . When I ordered ,my credit card did the exchange so it came out 25 % less then the billing from Escape . Those 9 in are very expensive and hard to find ,and you have to remove the whole thing if you have a problem not just the lid like the 14 in vents . Hope this helps . Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #77

Quote:
Doug because of weather right now I have not attempted yet . It looks pretty straight forward and I can't wait . For Christmas I got a inspection camera that will help getting those wires across shower roof and down to light . Or if easier wires up from light ,there is a hook on inspection camera to grab and pull wire over to opening . I'm probably not getting it done until March or April . I am in the middle of another project in house right now . Also need to get my bearings done before I go camping . Trailer is covered right now . I promised to take pics too. Someone on the Escape forum has this factory mod on their roof . Maybe the factory did it . When I ordered ,my credit card did the exchange so it came out 25 % less then the billing from Escape . Those 9 in are very expensive and hard to find ,and you have to remove the whole thing if you have a problem not just the lid like the 14 in vents . Hope this helps . Pat
The person had a 19 on flicker there was a couple shots of his roof . All I can find is Forrentmt . Escape reference photo's on flicker . Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our new 9" vent was in stock at an RV place we used. They just picked it off of the shelf. I think I have seen them by mail order also but an RV place should be able to order one. I would say it was less than $40 maybe.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Our new 9" vent was in stock at an RV place we used. They just picked it off of the shelf. I think I have seen them by mail order also but an RV place should be able to order one. I would say it was less than $40 maybe.
Why would you want to replace with the same which by the way yellows badly too. The new powered vent, everything on it is replaceable . The 9 in also because it doesn't have a removable screen gets debris up there . We just missed Escape getting rid of the 9 in . I can't wait to get mine installed .Even in a 1992 camper , bath had a powered vent ,which help dry out bath after using . Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #80

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Why would you want to replace with the same which by the way yellows badly too. The new powered vent, everything on it is replaceable . The 9 in also because it doesn't have a removable screen gets debris up there . We just missed Escape getting rid of the 9 in . I can't wait to get mine installed .Even in a 1992 camper , bath had a powered vent ,which help dry out bath after using . Pat
You are right. We would not want it again but were not aware of the powered vents at the time, not until later when we heard about them on the 21'. We replaced the 9" one on the 19' and had someone else do it, so that was the easiest thing we could have had done. No telling what they would have done had we known about any other vents.

We also have the window and would not do without that. Air into the window and out the vent. (We wanted the window also for using the wand but can't go through it with the wand due to screen screw.)

Yes, the new powered vent is a nice improvement.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote