Leaking Shower Vent? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
You are right. We would not want it again but were not aware of the powered vents at the time, not until later when we heard about them on the 21'. We replaced the 9" one on the 19' and had someone else do it, so that was the easiest thing we could have had done. No telling what they would have done had we known about any other vents.

We also have the window and would not do without that. Air into the window and out the vent. (We wanted the window also for using the wand but can't go through it with the wand due to screen screw.)

Yes, the new powered vent is a nice improvement.
Thanks Cathy you are also right about the bath window too which we also have . Ours just slides up and down so we can put the wand in there . First I thought we would get the awning one like in our kitchen but now I am glad it slides up and down . Anyone need that inspection camera it came from Harbor freight and you can use 20 % coupon which made it pretty reasonable . Chris R and Escape told me they did it without the camera but this looks pretty neat and I asked for and was happy to get it . Well will need to finish what I am doing at the moment then I will get to Escape fan mod . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Pat, lucky for you that you can get the wand in there. I think someone has been known to remove the screw on a 21'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I also purchased the fan kit from ETI but have not had time to install it yet. Looks straightforward just need to have a day to lay with it.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I also purchased the fan kit from ETI but have not had time to install it yet. Looks straightforward just need to have a day to lay with it.
Pat
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
All this rain revealed a minor leak in my bathroom vent. I want to replace it, but it sounds like the only suitable option is to order the custom flange from ETI. Does their cost include the Ventline fan, or just the flanges?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
All this rain revealed a minor leak in my bathroom vent. I want to replace it, but it sounds like the only suitable option is to order the custom flange from ETI. Does their cost include the Ventline fan, or just the flanges?
The the whole kit includes besides the flanges , the fan also . You only will need the proflex or similar and some wire . Pat
Old 04-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #87

I received the fan conversion kit last week and got it installed today. Everything was pretty straight forward, except that I was surprised that ETI pre drilled the holes in the roof flange. Most of the holes don't align with the existing roof holes. My solution was to drill new holes in the flange rather than in the roof of the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #88

Quote:
I received the fan conversion kit last week and got it installed today. Everything was pretty straight forward, except that I was surprised that ETI pre drilled the holes in the roof flange. Most of the holes don't align with the existing roof holes. My solution was to drill new holes in the flange rather than in the roof of the trailer.

I need to still get my done . Right now ,my toilet is apart to put in shut off valve . I can't use the plex under dinette , too short so I need to put inside shower . What way did you hook up to power ? From shower light , like Chris R or someone else ran new run down to converter box , with a fuse . Pat another Q easiest way to line up your holes instead of making new ones ?
Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #89

I don't think there is any other way except to drill new holes. It wasn't too bad though. I think I got about 6 of them to align, the rest I just had to make bigger. Only on two of them I had to drill completely separate holes.

I routed power from the bathroom light where it goes through the closet wall. There is plenty of room to pass the wires above the stall. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #90

Quote:
I don't think there is any other way except to drill new holes. It wasn't too bad though. I think I got about 6 of them to align, the rest I just had to make bigger. Only on two of them I had to drill completely separate holes.

I routed power from the bathroom light where it goes through the closet wall. There is plenty of room to pass the wires above the stall. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

Daubsy sounds much better . I got a little worried I would have to make a lot of new holes. I think I will also use bath light . Definitely would like any pics .Are you saying you didn't remove your bath light and bring wires over top down to light ? Or getting your power from backside of closet ? I had asked Escape and they just run it across and down to light . Chris R. had just made wiring hole for light a little bigger to make it easier and caught it . Pat
Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #91

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I think you'll find that there is more than just time related UV deterioration with these vents. Plastics become more brittle with a drop in temperature as well.

The design of these small vents causes the frame to flex each time it is closed and this could also be a cause of premature failure and hairline cracks especially if one is camping in cooler weather.

True, don't fix something unless its broken but if you know the life of a fixture then it's prudent to replace it before it fails. These vents are cheap (under $20) and only take about 20 mins. to replace.

Barry
20 minutes, eh? guess again. I finally got to this repair and..... it's a good thing I know fiberglass repair! These photos show the gelcoat stuck to the vent and ripped off the laminate. This left a weak top right corner that needed glass repair. Needless to say as I was vacuuming off the dust the vacuum bumped the waste tank vent and broke it. Cheap-@$$ plastic! Was like a broken egg shell. FRAGILE! and it's only a 2012. RRRRR. I am replacing it with a turbo vent painted with plastic paint, same as the new vent. replaced all fittings with stainless steel screws and it's going to be 100%. ETI should do a better job! DO NOT use caulk that bonds sooooo well to the vent, as you KNOW it's going to need replaced! Now for the freakin' rusty bathroom screws and moldy silicone! RRRR.

steve

Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg   P1290417.jpg   P1280416.jpg  
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
20 minutes, eh? guess again. I finally got to this repair and..... it's a good thing I know fiberglass repair! These photos show the gelcoat stuck to the vent and ripped off the laminate. This left a weak top right corner that needed glass repair. Needless to say as I was vacuuming off the dust the vacuum bumped the waste tank vent and broke it. Cheap-@$$ plastic! Was like a broken egg shell. FRAGILE! and it's only a 2012. RRRRR. I am replacing it with a turbo vent painted with plastic paint, same as the new vent. replaced all fittings with stainless steel screws and it's going to be 100%. ETI should do a better job! DO NOT use caulk that bonds sooooo well to the vent, as you KNOW it's going to need replaced! Now for the freakin' rusty bathroom screws and moldy silicone! RRRR.

steve

Had similar problem removing porch light that needed to be changed out . The original was mangled getting it off trailer ,but luckily didn't have damage to trailer gel coat . Just had a hell of a time removing the glued on light . Pat
Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #93

yeah, pretty messy. I used to work for a kayak company and had sea kayak hatches do the same thing. the glue is stronger than the gel-coat bond to the laminate. messssssy.

steve
Old 01-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #94

Quote:
yeah, pretty messy. I used to work for a kayak company and had sea kayak hatches do the same thing. the glue is stronger than the gel-coat bond to the laminate. messssssy.

steve
When you can swing it , you can get the new fan kit from Escape . The included fiberglass is min . 1/4 in thick . If the fan ever needed changed out , just using butyl , it will be a lot easier . You get everything except for wire and anything you use for sealing . The fan even breaks down to different replacement parts . I have had mine for awhile . I will be putting it in next . Just been busy with other mods . There are a few on the forum already replaced that vent . You can find them doing a search .Pat
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #95

yeah, we decided to go the economy route and not deal with a more complex fan/vent system. I use butyl tape whenever possible. easy to remove and does the h2o proofness well!

steve
Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #96

Quote:
yeah, we decided to go the economy route and not deal with a more complex fan/vent system. I use butyl tape whenever possible. easy to remove and does the h2o proofness well!

steve
Pat
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Don't remember if I ever updated this.

We went to the factory in July. By then the round powered vent retrofit was available so we got it, along with a bathroom window. The bathroom is greatly improved.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #98

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
Don't remember if I ever updated this.

We went to the factory in July. By then the round powered vent retrofit was available so we got it, along with a bathroom window. The bathroom is greatly improved.
We have both the vent fan retrofit kit and bath window waiting to go in but DIY. Glad to hear it greatly improves the bathroom.

I didn't see it linked to this thread but John Vermilye did a nice post on his website on the fan retrofit on his 17 for future reference for anyone thinking about changing the vent out:
Ventline VP-543 install in an Escape 17B
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #99

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I didn't see it linked to this thread but John Vermilye did a nice post on his website on the fan retrofit on his 17 for future reference for anyone thinking about changing the vent out:
Ventline VP-543 install in an Escape 17B
Also found the thread John started when he did the retrofit and it has some good info from those that contributed
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-17b-7935.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #100

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Over past 2 years we have had a few ounces of water leak into the bathroom through the manual roof vent when it rains hard. I think I finally identified the cause for our problem to be water coming in around the front centre small rivet. Water sitting on top of the closed vent winks in through a small space around the rivet that may have worked loose over time. I have sealed the outside of the rivets on the top of the plastic vent and so far no water.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote