Leaks at running lights - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21' Escape
Thanks, Techfan. I like the idea of leaving a weep hole in the bottom of the seal.

windblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 21' Escape
Thanks, Alf. I will look for the "stick to itself" property in making my selection. With the continual warping, it looks like caulking could be a frequent task, in which case completely removing the old caulk would be a major pain.

windblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblade View Post
Thanks, Techfan. I like the idea of leaving a weep hole in the bottom of the seal.
I also drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of each light lens, to allow any moisture as well as any water that was to enter the light to drain out....
Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I also drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of each light lens, to allow any moisture as well as any water that was to enter the light to drain out....
Followed Jim's lead and did the same , drilling hole at bottom of lense . Mine also got water in it and it corroded the whole light fixture . My led was ok and was able to put back in new fixtures which Reace took care of . . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
We have a leak that drains a fair amount of water out of the weep hole above the sewer drain. We store the trailer pointing downward somewhat and when we hook up and pull it to slightly uphill it starts to drain.

Just checked and all three of our top lights have the gap. I guess we'll only know if it is the source of the leak after its fixed.

For those who have fixed have you seen continued warping as to have to redo the gasket yet again or does it stop after a certain point?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We have a leak that drains a fair amount of water out of the weep hole above the sewer drain. We store the trailer pointing downward somewhat and when we hook up and pull it to slightly uphill it starts to drain.

Just checked and all three of our top lights have the gap. I guess we'll only know if it is the source of the leak after its fixed.

For those who have fixed have you seen continued warping as to have to redo the gasket yet again or does it stop after a certain point?
The gap may return, but that is why I use Proflex. Simple to add more. The KEY to solving the leak is to have a place for the water that gets in at the top to go. The gap always seems to form at the top. If the bottom is closed, the water fills up until it gets to the hole that the wiring comes out of and then it goes inside and runs down between the vinyl wall lining and the fiberglass until it finds the low spots below the floor. MAKE SURE you have a hole in the caulking (not just the light) for the water to escape.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Hi Rossue just to make sure are you talking the lights at rear of trailer ? My problem was the porch light by door . I only have 2 brake lights and they seem fine .I added reflector strips to bumper instead . Still will get in touch about wheel bearings just not yet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Hi Pat- yes, the rear three tail lights up near roof on the 21. 19' Escapes are different and don't have the same configuration.

This warping issue bothers me though. Seems like this is a design defect.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #59

Trailer: 2012 15A
Interesting thread.
We had an issue with water coming in the rear of our trailer and getting the bedding wet this past Dec on a return trip from Arizona.
Unfortunately when I got home I was recovering from a very wicked flu I picked up while traveling home through Calif along with nursing 3 cracked ribs sustained while biking in Arizona. Needless to say I was not interested in looking for the source of the leak when we returned home. We did drive through some very torrential rains through northern Calif, Oregon and Washington State on the return trip which certainly did not help the problem - other than to identify we had a problem.

The one possible source of water that I could think of was the additional high rear brake/running lights we had installed.
I had not seen this original thread but so glad I saw the updates today.

Tomorrow I will be out to inspect those lights and I am pretty sure that will be the source of the water ingress that we experienced.

Now do I repair them or take the trailer back to Escape which is easy for us to do. Probably take me as long to repair as to drive out to Chilliwack and back. But it will probably be raining here again in Vancouver tomorrow!!

We also had a water ingress issue on the trip south. Once again we had traveled through torrential rains in norther Washington State. This water was coming in the front of the trailer, drivers side and pooling on the floor under the front table and in the seat cubby where all the electrical wires and panel is located. The only potential places I could identify as ingress locations was the side clearance light or the hole in the bottom of the trailer where all the electrical wires enter. I thought perhaps the driving rain and road spray could have possibly been forced up through that opening.

I did pull off the tape covering the drain hole on the underside of the front trailer drivers side. There must have been at least a liter or more of water that came out. I left the tape off the hole, not sure why the holes are taped up?? We did not notice any water issues in the front on the return trip home.

Any others have experience with water entering the front of their trailers?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:28 AM   #60

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Not very long term, but I did ours late last summer, still looked good a couple weeks ago.

Made the mistake of removing one of the lights to plug the hole for the wire, what a hassle, darn stuff sticks too well, like cleaning off silicone. Ended up just taping off where I wanted the Proflex and putting a good bead over the old.