Leaks at running lights - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #71

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I added upper brake/taillights to my 17B & stupidly overtightened the screws so that the fixtures bent & matched the curve of the trailer. Within a year, both LED strips cracked, allowing water into the fixture. No leaks into the trailer, but both fixtures died.

The replacements (one by Escape & one by me) were tightened until the fixture just started to bend, but no further. I followed Escape's procedure & caulked on the sides & top with Proflex, leaving the bottom open to allow drainage. No leaks so far...

Old 01-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
RUN... It's the Devil's Bane!

As Greg said in post #50 .."found pure silicone to not have sufficient adhesion properties."

The only thing that will stick to silicone is more silicone.

It is a temporary fix that becomes a permanent problem.

You come around my trailer with silicone and I'll get after you with a fork.

Really, there are many better caulks. The ONLY thing good about silicone is it's cheap. This is one thing you shouldn't cheap out on.
Donna, the reason I asked is because when I installed the mounting kit for the solar panel, the caulking tube that ETI supplied was all dried up so I used silicone. Fortunately, it hasn't leaked, but guess I better replace it with the good stuff. Thanks for answering!

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Just caulked the three upper running lights that had warped. Had some white proflex that Reace sent for something else and hadn't used. Seem to prefer that over the clear, although if it were a black aluminum window frame that would be different of course.

It's not easy to apply a bead that looks like factory though. Have done a LOT of painting and own a pro caulk gun. Maybe the material was a little old, but it didn't flow easily and you have to use mineral spirits to tool with. Would advise using tape not only on the lens at the edge of the original caulk but on the fiberglass as well. Good news is that it is up high where only I will see it when washing. Hopefully no more water intrusion.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just caulked the three upper running lights that had warped. Had some white proflex that Reace sent for something else and hadn't used. Seem to prefer that over the clear, although if it were a black aluminum window frame that would be different of course.

It's not easy to apply a bead that looks like factory though. Have done a LOT of painting and own a pro caulk gun. Maybe the material was a little old, but it didn't flow easily and you have to use mineral spirits to tool with. Would advise using tape not only on the lens at the edge of the original caulk but on the fiberglass as well. Good news is that it is up high where only I will see it when washing. Hopefully no more water intrusion.
Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote