Leaky Fresh Water Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Leaky Fresh Water Tank

I filled the fresh water tank in our 19 the other day and today I noticed the drain spigot has a slow leak. I tried placing the lever in various positions but that didn't stop the leak. The leak isn't great, about 4-5 drops per minute but I still think it's significant. Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it short of replacing the spigot which looks like a major PITA !

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Can you back flush in some way? Not sure what you could use to fasten a hose to that drain valve. Water or air would be worth a try. A small diameter hose off an air compressor?

Vasaline would help any binding, not sure you have that problem. Next would be how to get it into the valve.

I assume you have a 2009? I think this issue will strike many of us, as those plastice valves have a limited life span. Brass would be better.

Is there an access panel on the Escape tanks? If not, it may be necessary to cut one.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The obvious fix is replacement. How is the drain valve installed? Threaded into a bung, inserted through a hole with a nut on the inside? "Welded" or glued in? A photo might help...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
I filled the fresh water tank in our 19 the other day and today I noticed the drain spigot has a slow leak. I tried placing the lever in various positions but that didn't stop the leak. The leak isn't great, about 4-5 drops per minute but I still think it's significant. Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it short of replacing the spigot which looks like a major PITA !

Doug

This happened to mine right from new and it's usually from a small bit of dirt. The spigot part that you turn will pull right out if you wiggle it enough; just clean it ( and the hole it came from) and put a bit of Vaseline on it and your leak should stop.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Trailer: '07 17B
I replaced mine last year as it was getting hard to turn. I guess there was too much crud in it. Any RV supplier should carry them. It just screws in (with some teflon tape). Cheap fix & 100% better!!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
OK, I'll have a look at mine and see if I can get the spigot part out, clean and lube it and see if that fixes the leak. If not, I'll have to find a replacement. I really don't want to do that <g>.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote