leaky head vent! RRRR! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Senior member status to your name has nothing to do with age, but participation.
I think I became 'Senior' on my 100th posting.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I am getting really tired of seeing people who express any disappointments or annoyances with quality control issues being jumped all over by a few members here. People shouldn't have to endure snarky comments, feel intimidated, or blamed for their "lack of maintenance" when they share their frustration. I have a 2007 17B that I love dearly, but the reality is that in the last few years, there has been an increase in quality control issues in the newer trailers. Nothing too big, but certainly nothing I had to deal with. It's not heresy to say that ETI, as wonderful as they are, may be experiencing growing pains with their tremendous growth, and I am glad that they are stepping back on order taking. I want everyone to love their trailer as much as I do.
Here we go ! Hi lorrie you are right on with your comments . I am not a shrinking violet as I gather you are not either . What has concerned me is others who read some comments and are afraid to speak up or just go away especially newbie's . I met one on the road a few weeks ago with a problem and I hope he speaks up instead of being upset with a 4 month old trailer . Many times instead of this forum being information to share in case others are confronted with the same you are seen as a trouble maker etc. the same can be said for wanting to make changes to your trailer . God forbide you change what you don't like in your trailer or find a problem . Sometimes it is disheartening but for me I will not back down . I appreciate what you were trying to say . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Here we go ! Hi lorrie you are right on with your comments . I am not a shrinking violet as I gather you are not either . What has concerned me is others who read some comments and are afraid to speak up or just go away especially newbie's .
I am sure that you firmly believe this stance you take, just as others have their own beliefs. You do understand that the folks that share this view are very much in the minority. Have you stopped to wonder why?

I have heard privately from many people, here and at FGRV, as well as at rallies, who will not post due to the negativity of just a few, or for fear that they are going to be corrected by these people.

Jeff Zajas first started this site as a place for people to share ideas, discuss options and modifications. He did so to escape what he felt was negativity on other forums. The friendly people, with good attitudes are not the types that scare folks off.
Quote:
I met one on the road a few weeks ago with a problem and I hope he speaks up instead of being upset with a 4 month old trailer .
He should definitely speak up. If the problem is serious and is need of attention, he should talk to Escape about it. They need to know, rather than just sitting on it and complaining here. Sure, lots of smaller issues we can help with, and lordy knows, we have a multitude of people more than willing to help.
Quote:
Many times instead of this forum being information to share in case others are confronted with the same you are seen as a trouble maker etc. the same can be said for wanting to make changes to your trailer . God forbide you change what you don't like in your trailer or find a problem . Sometimes it is disheartening but for me I will not back down . I appreciate what you were trying to say . Pat
It is rarely what people have to talk about that gets this reaction, it is negative attitude and the unwarranted bashing of a company for a few small items. I would bet we all have had to deal with a few things that went wrong, but we don't go complaining about Escape quality, or service, because as a whole we are proud of our trailer

And really not sure what you are talking about regarding folks being chastised for making changes to things they did not like. Heavens, myself alone have made and talking about many things like this, only to get wonderful comments from others. I didn't like my small access hatch, inside the cabinet lighting, no ceiling light, plain old run of the mill vinyl, stove and sink, mattress, and other things.....I changed them and only heard positive comments.

Pat, sorry for singling out your comments alone, as I am more referring to what a few members seem to feel, not just you alone. What I want, is for you and others to understand why so many of us respond the way we do. Our experiences with trailer issues are probably all very similar, and some of these issues that arise are quite bothersome, and I am willing to bet my bottom dollar some of mine were far worse than most, but it is how we respond to them that gets the dander up with a few.

I think it would be good for some of the folks that have some of these negative feelings towards the general membership, as well as Escape, to come out and meet some of us. There are a long of really great souls in this group, many of whom I now consider friends.

What it comes down to, and why I added it recently, is the quote in my signature. Everyone should read it, and decide for themselves, just how happy they want to be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Seeing that we don't have our trailer yet, and having been chastised on one of my posts, I for one can say I have backed away from posting. I have made a few posts, but i don't like confrontation and maybe don't have as thick of skin as some. However, being more sensitive should not preclude folks from feeling welcome either.

I will haste to say that I think the vast majority of people are kind and helpful, but it takes just one or two unkind things to be said in a thread to put a damper on a willingness to participate. But regardless, I still find the forum to be extremely useful.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Seeing that we don't have our trailer yet, and having been chastised on one of my posts, I for one can say I have backed away from posting. I have made a few posts, but i don't like confrontation and maybe don't have as thick of skin as some. However, being more sensitive should not preclude folks from feeling welcome either.

I will haste to say that I think the vast majority of people are kind and helpful, but it takes just one or two unkind things to be said in a thread to put a damper on a willingness to participate. But regardless, I still find the forum to be extremely useful.
Nathan, I do remember lots, and lots, of folks responding to your queries, offering their help, and don't remember this incident where you were chastised. If this is the case, you should report the post, as any personal attacks are not allowed. I know I have had some feedback to my queries that did not sit well with me, and in most cases it was more how they were said. I know I can be guilty of wording things poorly, and often when rereading thinking that I really came off sounding not like I mean too. This is one of the problems with the internet, in that we can't see facial and body expressions, to get a full read on how someone means what they say. We just have to take all the information offered, sort it out, and make our own decisions.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #46

This couple I met are not members of this forum . I encouraged them to call Escape and check out this forum . I can tell you from meeting them if they checked out this forum they will go away and not join . As for complaining about Escape that has not been me . But there does need to be a little more overseeing of the workers . I understand that totally ,why I kept my business small . I didn't want the headaches that brings . You cannot be in 2 places at once . Sometimes this forum is not a warm and fuzzy place to be . This is the complaint here .How many members post here with all the members ? Pat
Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Yes, I agree Jim, there were lots of helpful, patient advice for me. And helped gel my mindset as to what we needed to do. That's why I said the vast majority of people are kind and helpful. Yourself included.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #48

Pat, I hear you regarding company growth, and the growing pains associated with it. At one point, I had grown to 6 times the size I am now. It was during boom times, and good help was hard to find. In the end all customers got a good product, but it cost me too much to produce it. Now doing smaller volume, i have a better percentage of profit, and much less stress. I think Escape is doing very well with their growing pains, not perfect, but working to get better.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have heard privately from many people, here and at FGRV, as well as at rallies, who will not post due to the negativity of just a few, or for fear that they are going to be corrected by these people.
Interesting- I have kind of given up as have others from the reaction we've gotten from the "Superfans" when have dared to question or complain about something. The one where the OP said "its usually the same 3 people" is a major case in point.

You seem to have rear-view rose colored glasses on and have made reference more than once to the "good old days" when everyone on the Forum was a happy little camper.

Things aren't static and with a ramp up with ten more production people (or more) in the last year that are new hires, then it would frankly be a surprise and unrealistic to expect that there wouldn't be some issues with Quality Control. How do you know Escape is doing very well with their growing pains? My experience out of three recent warranty inquiries was to be blown off for 2 out of 3: My fiberglass blem and the Andersen hitch.

My main frustration with Escape is that when things have cropped up there was a tepid and drawn-out response. Add to that the expectation that in most cases we were to perform labor ourselves is absurd to me.

To be specific, in the last 12 months we've had these issues:

1. Rusted window screws- which turned into a little fiasco when sent stainless replacements that torqued off when installing making it a more difficult job. ETI did pay labor after asking three times.
2. Locking wheel- which thankfully Dexter intervened directly to resolve quickly and very fairly.
3. Weird quarter-size hole behind the roof vent with a yellow tape on top. Was told it was a mold-indent-just cosmetic/wouldn't leak, but cannot find anyone else that has it. Was sent Proflex to apply there.
4. Andersen hitch is unusable in current conditions- you've seen pictures. Escape is trying to wash their hands of this matter. Convenient for them- yet they sold it and there is some question as to improper installation being the cause for the chain wearing through the guide. I'm stuck in the middle meanwhile.
5. Awning deployed at rear support on last day of maiden voyage after driving 250 miles. It was locked, and after noticing a tear recently Escape is working on our behalf to remedy this through Carefree, but has warned it may be a canopy only with the cost of labor borne by us.
6. Print-through on the fiberglass surrounding the door. Was told this happens "occasionally" and not structural. But it is a flaw that could be prevented through proper technique and more material placed between the door frame and shell.
7.Solar panel issue: I'm supposed to drill holes in my roof? And is this a true fix or band-aid on top of a poorly designed attachment system?
8. Laying on the bed you can look up through a gap in the headboard and see daylight. In reviewing build pics you can see the headliner material has a good sized gap right in the driver's side front corner. Sloppy- and what about that extra insulation we paid for.

Does anyone see the above as being vague or nit-picky or my fault that any of this happened? I'd really like to know.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #50

[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;113374]Pat, I hear you regarding company growth, and the growing pains associated with it. At one point, I had grown to 6 times the size I am now. It was during boom times, and good help was hard to find. In the end all customers got a good product, but it cost me too much to produce it. Now doing smaller volume, i have a better percentage of profit, and much less stress. I think Escape is doing very well with their growing pains, not perfect, but working to get better
Old 10-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #51

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
8. Laying on the bed you can look up through a gap in the headboard and see daylight. In reviewing build pics you can see the headliner material has a good sized gap right in the driver's side front corner. Sloppy- and what about that extra insulation we paid for.
Hi Ross, can you expand on Number 8. Are you saying there is an opening to the outside above the front bed ? This does not make sense to me, if you could clarify it would set my mind at ease. Also how can you tell you did not get the extra insulation. I ordered it too and I understand it's a continuation of the standard insulation but reaching to the floor - yes / no ?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #52

It is the translucent light seen through a corner of bare fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
flaw.jpg  
Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are known places where the shell is left uncovered during construction, that said these last 2 posts have been deleted and a reminder (1) to keep comments on the subject of the thread and (2) the community rules. If you have an issue with your trailer, you need to contact the ETI.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Edit: again, why does anyone think there is a gap in the corner of my 21 in the build photo? Do you think it lets cold air penetrate more?
Do you think it remained that way or was covered later in the build? Did you notice that in some pictures, there are no wheels on the trailers? Did yours come with wheels?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #55

Well, I actually didn't pay that much attention to this photo sent over a year ago. What brought this up was Susan's comment that she was awakened in the morning by a light. So evidently they didnt fix this. You wanna see other defects like a dull saw blade cutting laminate inside the upper kitchen cabinet? I did see that one right after delivery but decided to let it go.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm going to smoke some more ribs.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #57

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm going to smoke some more ribs.
Is that what you kids are calling them these days?!?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #58

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
wow. so up to 57 posts on a missing dab of caulk. wow.

so instead of buying a whole tube of Proflex I used Lexel. While I was at it I did all the screws and the lip of the refer vent. I will get some Proflex and go over the whole trailer when we return to PNW.

Just to add to the thread here are the issues that have come up with our trailer in living aboard for 6 months straight:

1. broke off key in the deadbolt. will replace entire system on return to PNW. PITA but thankfully we were in town and called a locksmith who tried to get it out then eventually drilled it out.
2. tank monitors are a POS. good accuracy is around 10% of the time.
3. rear window street side should have a gutter over it. Leaked all over the bed when we have it open in rain.
4. Huge holes where the plumbing runs through the wall to exterior shower. Patched with gutter repair tape.
5. Typical light around the door. hard to fit, I'm sure.
6. Mold/ discoloration on sealant around sink. nothing cleans it off!
7. missing caulk dab on roof vent (original post)

We have put around 15,000 miles on her and have loved every minute. I am on my first RV so don't have any comparison with other brands BUT we did spend some serious time shopping before and we are VERY happy with our Escape! To think that we actually were looking at R-pods! WOW!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ross, you seem to have more issues than people usually have which is unfortunate.

The most light we get by far in the morning is through the door area. The curtain across takes care of that. Have you shown them the photo and asked about the gap?

You should be able to have an RV shop do the bolting just as a welder is doing the welding and ETI should cover it. Have they not said that you can do that? The only thing we do on our roof is wash it and put 303. No way we would be drilling holes!

I see that three of the items involved other companies and are being addressed. We have not seen the hole on the roof. Have a photo? Did you have anyone in fiberglass work look at it? It is again unfortunate to have such problems and have to try to figure out how to address them.

We have yet to give them our short list since picking up. We have a few things, nothing major. All in all, we certainly like our trailer very much! We have had our problems with them but in general they have been very good.

Quote:
Well, I actually didn't pay that much attention to this photo sent over a year ago. What brought this up was Susan's comment that she was awakened in the morning by a light. So evidently they didnt fix this. You wanna see other defects like a dull saw blade cutting laminate inside the upper kitchen cabinet? I did see that one right after delivery but decided to let it go.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Steve, your full-timing would affect the monitors as you may have sat sometimes. Also, not enough water and TP will affect the monitors. The monitors work should work most of the time depending on what you are doing.

Just for your info, Escape says their trailers are not for fulltiming and that may be a warranty issue. Hope you or anyone else in your situation has full-timers insurance, otherwise you may have no insurance when you think you do. Some companies use five months.

We have not had your other problems so others will want to answer. You cannot have slider windows open in the rain. Some people have had to clean out window holes and some have added gutters but still doubt you could have windows open in the rain without it getting in.

Glad you like your Escape! Envy you being out there so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
wow. so up to 57 posts on a missing dab of caulk. wow.

so instead of buying a whole tube of Proflex I used Lexel. While I was at it I did all the screws and the lip of the refer vent. I will get some Proflex and go over the whole trailer when we return to PNW.

Just to add to the thread here are the issues that have come up with our trailer in living aboard for 6 months straight:

1. broke off key in the deadbolt. will replace entire system on return to PNW. PITA but thankfully we were in town and called a locksmith who tried to get it out then eventually drilled it out.
2. tank monitors are a POS. good accuracy is around 10% of the time.
3. rear window street side should have a gutter over it. Leaked all over the bed when we have it open in rain.
4. Huge holes where the plumbing runs through the wall to exterior shower. Patched with gutter repair tape.
5. Typical light around the door. hard to fit, I'm sure.
6. Mold/ discoloration on sealant around sink. nothing cleans it off!
7. missing caulk dab on roof vent (original post)

We have put around 15,000 miles on her and have loved every minute. I am on my first RV so don't have any comparison with other brands BUT we did spend some serious time shopping before and we are VERY happy with our Escape! To think that we actually were looking at R-pods! WOW!

steve
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote