leaky head vent! RRRR! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Speaking of imperfection?
At least you are not speaking behind my back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Do you know if that hole was placed there to drain the pontoons? I suspect you don't want to fill it in.
On the side higher than the bumper. I hardly think it would work as a drain hole and if it did I'd be a foot of water inside before reaching it😱
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
On the side higher than the bumper. I hardly think it would work as a drain hole and if it did I'd be a foot of water inside before reaching it��
From the Marine Surveyor I hired to evaluate the "print-through blem"

Hi Ross, That looks like damage to me I personally have never heard of a mold hole. This looks like some impact damage, there are fractures clearly visible. This is damage not repaired properly and some one hoping that you are not aware enough to notice it. Regards, Richard
From Richard Avant; Port San Luis Marine Survey
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Got to ask, if someone was hoping you wouldn't notice it, why would they 'flag' it with yellow tape?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #85

Ok; so what would you do Glenn? Go back to the cooler? My advice to everyone is to hire an inspector. From my prior life in the RE biz I should have known better. They 90% of the time find stuff that at least pays for their inspection. The print-through was enough of a matter to not accept the trailer based on many posts regarding boats- which is practically the same issue. It denotes poor workmanship.

Edit: How many of you have gotten on a ladder to look at the roof at "Orientation"?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Got to ask, if someone was hoping you wouldn't notice it, why would they 'flag' it with yellow tape?
Could you please stop using such confronting language? The point is he has a defect on his trailer and how he should proceed to get it resolved. Possibly you could say something like " ETI provides excellent customer service, don't worry it will be resolved. Thank you for alerting us to this potential problem".?

Smooth, positive and reassuring.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #87

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm taking issue with the assertion by your surveyor that someone was trying to hide something.
And, if I hired a surveyor to find a problem, I would expect him to find it and place blame where I wanted him to place blame.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #88

Well, as they say- "its hard to find good help". This is the crux of the problem that seems so obvious; Escape is in a growth mode, is a mom & pop biz and are likely in over their head to some extent.

See posts 61/64 for pictures regarding this.

Again- does anyone else have this on their roof?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #89

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Here's another of the roof. Doesn't look like a "mold hole" to me- looks like some damage that was hastily patched...but I could be wrong. This is what Reace sent me the Proflex for; but I'm not touching. Seems for sure we're heading up to Chilliwack at some point.
Rousse that looks from your pics like damage . like something dropped on roof? I would definitely have Escape see that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #90

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post

The monitor is just possessed. once in a while it reads correct but mostly not. The water is prolly the most accurate but both holding tanks are anybodies guess. We even get false "full" on the gray tank. I can see on the black with toilet paper and such fogging the sensor but there's no reason the gray should be that far off. Oh the electric monitor works well! ;-)

living large in FL for another month.

steve
Steve, you might have a look at the solder connections on your tank sender. I suspect mine may have been soldered with acid core (plumber's solder) and not electrical, rosin core solder. The photo here is my fresh water tank sender, and that tank is actually located inside the trailer, well out of the elements. Corrosion like this (or cold solder joints) can lead to funky, phantom readings.

Regards,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #91

I ordered a new board for the 17B, hooked it up and got the same readings. Then I got out the tank wand and put on a face mask. Sent the new board back. BTW- our 21's monitor is goofy, and we don't flush solids or even TP, so I just ignore it.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #92

Try placing a sheet of Saran wrap over the toilet, under the seat, and cut a slit for the wand. You can see what you are doing and you can hose the inside of the tank thoroughly without getting it in the face.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #93

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
tank sensors

We use the 21 just as we did the 19, 2 years in the 21 and 3 in the 19. The black tank has nothing but liquid, it's fine. Fresh tank of course only liquid and it's flushed well before every trip, it's fine. The grey tank another story, after 3 to 5 days of use and sometimes partial dumping we see various indications. When we arrive home I flush the tanks and the grey tank is definitely holding grey stuff. It takes a while to flush that out using a spray into the outlet. I'm sure the problem is the soap and miscellaneous stuff that goes down the kitchen sink but no way I'm going to tell Nancy that it is her fault that the sensor is wrong, I hate doing dishes. Once flushed we are set for another week or so on the road.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #94

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We use the 21 just as we did the 19, 2 years in the 21 and 3 in the 19. The black tank has nothing but liquid, it's fine. Fresh tank of course only liquid and it's flushed well before every trip, it's fine. The grey tank another story, after 3 to 5 days of use and sometimes partial dumping we see various indications. When we arrive home I flush the tanks and the grey tank is definitely holding grey stuff. It takes a while to flush that out using a spray into the outlet. I'm sure the problem is the soap and miscellaneous stuff that goes down the kitchen sink but no way I'm going to tell Nancy that it is her fault that the sensor is wrong, I hate doing dishes. Once flushed we are set for another week or so on the road.
Jack
We have found exactly the same thing. A good flushing with the wand gets the sensors back to normal. Even with an empty gray tank a flushing brings out all kinds of stuff. We used to spray the black but now fill with fresh water periodically and the sensors stay good. By the way, I think toothpaste and shaving cream might more likely be the culprits, at least in our case.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #95

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
oh well. there's a sure fire way to tell when the black tank is full: It backs up into the head! :-)

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #96

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
(snip)
6. Print-through on the fiberglass surrounding the door. Was told this happens "occasionally" and not structural. But it is a flaw that could be prevented through proper technique and more material placed between the door frame and shell.

8. Laying on the bed you can look up through a gap in the headboard and see daylight. In reviewing build pics you can see the headliner material has a good sized gap right in the driver's side front corner. Sloppy- and what about that extra insulation we paid for.

Does anyone see the above as being vague or nit-picky or my fault that any of this happened? I'd really like to know.
I don't find any of this nit-picky or vague. We don't have a trailer (yet!) so I can't compare any of your situations with ones we've had. I do have some questions though.

What exactly do you mean by "print through"? Would a photo show this?

Regarding the gap in the insulation. That sucks that it wasn't completely covered as it's a spot where heat/cold can transfer. Which you don't want and that's why you paid for extra insulation. Do they normally cover that corner?

I, for one, would be pretty peeved to see light coming through there, especially if I wanted to sleep in and that light would get pretty annoying.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #97

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Edit: How many of you have gotten on a ladder to look at the roof at "Orientation"?
I think that's a good idea! You're expected to check out the trailer to make sure things are the way they should be and both the top and bottom should be inspected. Although, if I looked underneath the trailer, I'm not sure if I'd notice anything was wrong. I'll leave that to the husband to look at.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #98

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
NW- see post #53, there are areas inside where there is no insulation, such as where wooden blocks or other structural members is fiberglassed into the shell.
I have the same light in some overheads, but you do not see it when the cabinet is shut. It is in the corner where the cabinets meet, similarly over the refer there will be some bare shell area, you will see some light around the wheel wells and the water heater, also watch out there maybe some around the furnace or any other opening in the shell. If you study in detail the thread "It's Friday" you will see several pictures of trailers in various stages of undress, so to speak and where the insulation is cut for various reasons, all for a specific purpose. If you are looking for light intrusion you can find it, but it is not readily apparent nor does it appear when the trailer is not in direct sunlight. The shell and the interior components installation are a complex item and Reace/ETI has been performing it for years.
As far as the dimple, it may be a imperfection, but easily fixed with some proflex, it is on the roof, out of sight. I'm sure one can find paint overspray on their new Toyota, if they put it on a lift and start inspecting it, it is normal.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I don't find any of this nit-picky or vague. We don't have a trailer (yet!) so I can't compare any of your situations with ones we've had. I do have some questions though.

What exactly do you mean by "print through"? Would a photo show this?

Regarding the gap in the insulation. That sucks that it wasn't completely covered as it's a spot where heat/cold can transfer. Which you don't want and that's why you paid for extra insulation. Do they normally cover that corner?

I, for one, would be pretty peeved to see light coming through there, especially if I wanted to sleep in and that light would get pretty annoying.
If you search print-through fiberglass you will find several articles generally pertaining to boats that describe where there is some distortion created. In this case it is due to the door frame being bonded to the shell. Had there been more mat between the two surfaces this may not have happened.
Edit: for a picture see Post #55 in the Escape Quality thread.

The light is annoying to Susan, and its hard to believe this is a normal condition, although it is somewhat made more possible by a slight warping in the headboard that makes a 4" section come away from the wall so one can look up & beyond towards the ceiling.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
NW- see post #53, there are areas inside where there is no insulation, such as where wooden blocks or other structural members is fiberglassed into the shell.
I have the same light in some overheads, but you do not see it when the cabinet is shut. It is in the corner where the cabinets meet, similarly over the refer there will be some bare shell area, you will see some light around the wheel wells and the water heater, also watch out there maybe some around the furnace or any other opening in the shell. If you study in detail the thread "It's Friday" you will see several pictures of trailers in various stages of undress, so to speak and where the insulation is cut for various reasons, all for a specific purpose. If you are looking for light intrusion you can find it, but it is not readily apparent nor does it appear when the trailer is not in direct sunlight. The shell and the interior components installation are a complex item and Reace/ETI has been performing it for years.
As far as the dimple, it may be a imperfection, but easily fixed with some proflex, it is on the roof, out of sight. I'm sure one can find paint overspray on their new Toyota, if they put it on a lift and start inspecting it, it is normal.
I wouldn't really expect any different response. It's not a dimple first of all- it's clearly an impact. I feel misled when I first inquired about this. The comparison to an overspray on a new car to me is a desperate defense. How about this: you find on your new Mercedes Sprinter van a dent that also has resulted in a crack and they put a piece of tape over it and delivered it to you.

Had I run into a tree branch and this happened then yes, I would be looking to an effective remedy, and Proflex might be the solution. For a $34,000 trailer that was delivered like this I'm looking for something else.