leaky head vent! RRRR! - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
As I read this thread and the Escape quality thread I am noticing some owners who are very dissatisfied with their Escape trailers. When I was very dissatisfied with my Scamp I sold it and brought another brand. Right now there is a sellers market for Escape trailers based on talking to people who came to view them at the rally.

For owners truly dissatisfied with their trailer and ETI, used ones are easily sold at VERY good prices right now. There are lots of other manufacturers to check out

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I think that's a good idea! You're expected to check out the trailer to make sure things are the way they should be and both the top and bottom should be inspected. Although, if I looked underneath the trailer, I'm not sure if I'd notice anything was wrong. I'll leave that to the husband to look at.
HI Laura . When you go for your orientation you are very excited and a little overwhelmed.It is very easy to not see or hear many things . If you have your trailer delivered - you are in the moment - you aren't going to find things until you are alone with your trailer and settled down .You can have all the plans you want to inspect even written down and it all goes out the window . This is a very emotional experience. You have waited a long time . You are hoping everyone did there job right . I am sure Reace and Tammy feel the same way . They are depending on their workers doing what they are suppose to do how they want it done . Unfortunately, many don't unless you stand over them . Now Escape has to take care of these issues which many are not little or acceptable. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #103

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If you search print-through fiberglass you will find several articles generally pertaining to boats that describe where there is some distortion created. In this case it is due to the door frame being bonded to the shell. Had there been more mat between the two surfaces this may not have happened.
Edit: for a picture see Post #55 in the Escape Quality thread
Thanks. I did see that photo but didn't have any idea what I was looking at. Still not 100% sure, but I'll do a search later on, as you suggested. By "print-through" I was expecting words or images from underneath to be showing through the white finish. Which made even less sense to me. I'd be pretty bummed if my trailer had some distortion on it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #104

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
HI Laura . When you go for your orientation you are very excited and a little overwhelmed.It is very easy to not see or hear many things . If you have your trailer delivered - you are in the moment - you aren't going to find things until you are alone with your trailer and settled down .You can have all the plans you want to inspect even written down and it all goes out the window . This is a very emotional experience. You have waited a long time . You are hoping everyone did there job right . I am sure Reace and Tammy feel the same way . They are depending on their workers doing what they are suppose to do how they want it done . Unfortunately, many don't unless you stand over them . Now Escape has to take care of these issues which many are not little or acceptable. Pat
Good points, Pat, thanks for commenting. Maybe I'll bring along a friend that knows a lot about RVs and since it's not her trailer she'll see stuff I'm too excited to notice. There will be plenty of time for her to get her passport renewed since we haven't even ordered one yet.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #105

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Try placing a sheet of Saran wrap over the toilet, under the seat...
Taken out of context, this brings back some fond memories!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #106

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I wouldn't really expect any different response. It's not a dimple first of all- it's clearly an impact. I feel misled when I first inquired about this. The comparison to an overspray on a new car to me is a desperate defense. How about this: you find on your new Mercedes Sprinter van a dent that also has resulted in a crack and they put a piece of tape over it and delivered it to you.

Had I run into a tree branch and this happened then yes, I would be looking to an effective remedy, and Proflex might be the solution. For a $34,000 trailer that was delivered like this I'm looking for something else.
Is the white gel coat cracked around the depression? It would take a huge amount of force to generate a depression like that - I could see dropping a pipe or a hammer from 3m, maybe but it would break the gel coat and probably cause some delamination internally.

It seems much more likely it is a molding defect caused by a bubble or some object left in the mold when the trailer was laid up, but if the gel coat is broken, you might actually have impact damage.

Regardless of the cause I think this is not a normal situation and overspray doesn't seem like a valid analogy.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #107

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgunderson View Post
SlickHeadHunter, Lorrie & BillM,
I too made the grave error making a suggestion of what I thought could
be an improvement to an already great trailer in my post of introduction
see thread "Back on the Island"
- hence received little or no welcome to this site as I see most
introductions get.
- lesson learned.....no more suggestions from me
-I AM STILL THRILLED WITH MY NEW 17b - SIA
FGunderson
Welcome to the forum from one Junior to another. Sent you a PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #108

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
When I was very dissatisfied with my Scamp I sold it and brought another brand. Right now there is a sellers market for Escape trailers based on talking to people who came to view them at the rally. There are lots of other manufacturers to check out
Hi Rick,

Like you, I started with a Scamp, pre Escape era. I did not like seeing a sea of rivets (design issue) and seeing the garage floor through the trailer floor below when inside trailer, also through the closed entry door. Scamp just uses thicker not so sticky foam to hide that gap ( quality issues ).

Except for fiberglass defects discussed which are concerning, everything else is fixable by ETI or owner if so inclined. I keep these non fiberglass issues in perspective as the Escape is a mid priced RV and if their quality has dropped from the old days, remember that it could be due to us in the US paying thousands less at this time, ETI being bombarded with orders due to it being "on sale" at this time. So when I find a reasonable defect and I will because I invented pickiness, I will also remember the savings that helped contribute to the high demands which contributed to ETI's faster manufacturing pace. You can't have it both ways.

The Big Foot and Oliver are double hulled with good insulation in between. I don't believe they have the high demand Escape has at this time mainly because 1) the same size trailer weight a lot more which leads to purchasing a heftier tow vehicle and higher fuel costs and 2) their lower paced manufacturing process while presumably yielding higher quality also yields a trailer costing twice as much as comparable Escape. I don't know about many of you but I can not afford that level of quality due to slow paced build process. Remember when Escape enjoyed slow manufacturing in years past ?

So, for the price point and dry weight I agreed to and adding to that the great discount courtesy of the Canadian government, it will take serious fiberglass shell defects to stir me up. I will bring a ladder and flashlight and go through mine when the time comes with most all of the emphasis on the shell. Everything else is fixable.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #109

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug View Post
Taken out of context, this brings back some fond memories!
Understood. My daughter did that to grandma.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #110

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
My go-to for emergency repairs is Marine Goop.
The bath fan in our trailer also leaked . Marine Goop solved the problem.. Just make sure
you clean the area before apply Goop
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #111

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi Rick,

Like you, I started with a Scamp, pre Escape era. I did not like seeing a sea of rivets (design issue) and seeing the garage floor through the trailer floor below when inside trailer, also through the closed entry door. Scamp just uses thicker not so sticky foam to hide that gap ( quality issues ).

Except for fiberglass defects discussed which are concerning, everything else is fixable by ETI or owner if so inclined. I keep these non fiberglass issues in perspective as the Escape is a mid priced RV and if their quality has dropped from the old days, remember that it could be due to us in the US paying thousands less at this time, ETI being bombarded with orders due to it being "on sale" at this time. So when I find a reasonable defect and I will because I invented pickiness, I will also remember the savings that helped contribute to the high demands which contributed to ETI's faster manufacturing pace. You can't have it both ways.

The Big Foot and Oliver are double hulled with good insulation in between. I don't believe they have the high demand Escape has at this time mainly because 1) the same size trailer weight a lot more which leads to purchasing a heftier tow vehicle and higher fuel costs and 2) their better low paced manufacturing process while presumably yielding higher quality also yields a trailer costing twice as much as comparable Escape. I don't know about many of you but I can not afford that level of quality due to slow paced build process. Remember when Escape enjoyed slow manufacturing in years past ?

So, for the price point and dry weight I agreed to and adding to that the great discount courtesy of the Canadian government, it will take serious fiberglass shell defects to stir me up. I will bring a ladder and flashlight and go through mine when the time comes with most all of the emphasis on the shell. Everything else is fixable.
When we purchased ours 2013 we did not see the favorable exchange rates customers are seeing today and our wait was only 4 months . Luckily we do not have the issues some have . Luckily did not get the solar just pre solar and still on the fence for a roof install . We paid a lot more then current customers are paying now . We had and have some build issues . Some we just take care our shelves . That being said if I had some of the issues some have especially concerning the body of trailer I Would be livid for what I paid . I understand some of this frustration . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #112

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That being said if I had some of the issues some have especially concerning the body of trailer I Would be livid for what I paid . I understand some of this frustration . Pat
Agreed on the shell issues.

In my mind, the shell is king and why we go fiberglass. We all have our levels of comfort. I can dismiss a little wavy part here and there, a wrinkle where if does not show, etc. As Jim said, it adds character as no two shells come out the same. Where I think I would draw the line is having serious structural damage, cracks ,etc. I am no fiberglass expert but understand that damage can be repaired and made to look good as new. For a new under warranty trailer with that kind of damage, I would consider a guaranteed repair. Guaranteed against cracking, de-laminating, etc.

I too fully understand Ross's frustration with the hole that I assume penetrates the shell and has cracks around the periphery.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #113

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree that if there were an issue with the shell that Escape should and would fix the issue or have it repaired. What I do not understand is why that has not been done. The owner is approximately 900 miles from the factory where it would be fixed at no cost or since he has hired an expert for an assessment, received an estimate for the repair. Why has it not been fixed?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #114

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I too fully understand Ross's frustration with the hole that I assume penetrates the shell and has cracks around the periphery.
Why do you assume any of that? How did this blemish become a "hole"?

I assume that the yellow tape was there to indicate something that had to be fixed and that it wasn't done before the trailer was released. If you go around a new condo, you will find green masking tape all over the place indicating paint that needs attention, etc.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #115

Hi Glenn, I too know colorful tape is used to indicate something is in need of attention. Like post it notes for the construction industry. I think he suspects that blemish could be causing a leak ? At any rate it has to be looked at by ETI.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #116

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Shouldn't any and all issues be directed to Escape Trailer Industries instead of grousing among one another.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #117

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' "Tetra II"
Happy camper

After reading this thread I feel I must be one of the lucky ones. We received our 19 on July29th, two days after our finish date, delivered to Medford Or. So far i have no issues with our trailer. We love it !! I guess that makes me a fan boy. Thank you Escape.
Pancake & D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #118

I think most all new recent owners are lucky as well. Just because a real and likely rare fiberglass blemish has been reported that alone should not taint so many units going out ETI's door. As I said before if the shell is good, there is little to worry about. That's my take.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #119

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Factory adjustments

I don't know about anyone else but for me, if the problem was not major and requiring immediate repair, I would notify ETI, make a appointment and go to the factory for the repair, and while there, probably get any upgrades done too. A guest in our trailer accidentally cracked a cover piece by our door. While at ETI for a solar install they fixed our crack with a total replacement for a very reasonable charge. Better than new. I like their work, love the trailer. As Pee Wee Herman said,"if you love it why don't you marry it?" I would but already have one steady girl. 45 years and counting. I ain't no sappy sage but I am a real nice guy and a hugger.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #120

Trailer: 2014 19'
The Escape 19 is my 9th camping box but my first with an on-line Forum dedicated to it. And we should all be on the same side of these posts, owners helping owners.

So this communication is new to me. What I notice it's just like a school yard and the same kids have become 'older' and some are adults .. and some like to be a kid again! Happens to me. As I said before some people are using a confronting style when a questioning style would be a lubricant for the discussion.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote