LED light won't turn off!? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
LED light won't turn off!?

Our 17B is parked, winterized & covered, & plugged in to AC power. About every 10 days or so I go in to check that all is still OK, as the AC power occasionally trips.
This morning I noticed something weird -- one of the LED lights (overhead) is, and remains, on, at a low light setting. This light, and all the others, have always only ever been been on/off, but this one -- actually, one half of a dual-light fixture -- won't shut completely off -- the three-position switch in one position has full power to one half (only), in the second position to both halves, and in the third position, instead of both halves completely off has one half off the other half on a low setting.

I haven't a clue how to start troubleshooting this -- any advice?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
Our 17B is parked, winterized & covered, & plugged in to AC power. About every 10 days or so I go in to check that all is still OK, as the AC power occasionally trips.
This morning I noticed something weird -- one of the LED lights (overhead) is, and remains, on, at a low light setting. This light, and all the others, have always only ever been been on/off, but this one -- actually, one half of a dual-light fixture -- won't shut completely off -- the three-position switch in one position has full power to one half (only), in the second position to both halves, and in the third position, instead of both halves completely off has one half off the other half on a low setting.

I haven't a clue how to start troubleshooting this -- any advice?

I had this problem when I returned from a camping trip this fall. Since the LED lights are super low draw it does not take much to get them to glow. For instance in my case one of the outside lights had gotten some water in it from the heavy rains we were camping and driving in. The bulb contacts were damp and letting some stray voltage to pass on to the next fixture...the glowing one...once I cleaned, dried, and treated the connection with dielectric grease the glowing stopped. So check your fixtures for moisture...it does not take much!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have similar problem in our previous trailer - half of the LED strip have very dim light when it's supposed to be turned off.. I suspect it was moisture in the switch that was allowing very small amount of power to go thru, those LED lights don't need much power! We usually see the problem first few times we camped after the winter.. and as we go into summer and fall it went away...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Very interesting - I have learned something useful, for which thanks. I haven't dealt much with LED's yet, and would not have known what was going on.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Very dim light episode, Diamond Group 65430-ww

Thanks to this thread, I have resolved the faint glow on half of this light fixture. After switching the LED panels, we concluded the switch was the issue.

Took the lenses off and let the whole fixture hang (to dry?) for 24 hours, and now it's fine.

On this 2014 double pancake version, the lenses need to slide 1/4 inch away from the switch then pry them out with a fingernail, preferably. Prying them at their regular position risks cracking. The LEDs themselves are all still fine after 4 years and many nights of camping and are a "color" that we like.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Thanks to this thread, I have resolved the faint glow on half of this light fixture. After switching the LED panels, we concluded the switch was the issue.

Took the lenses off and let the whole fixture hang (to dry?) for 24 hours, and now it's fine.

On this 2014 double pancake version, the lenses need to slide 1/4 inch away from the switch then pry them out with a fingernail, preferably. Prying them at their regular position risks cracking. The LEDs themselves are all still fine after 4 years and many nights of camping and are a "color" that we like.

Bill
Hi: Bill and Earline... I cautiously used a blow dryer on mine while it was open. Hasn't stayed on since. It was the center isle one at the foot of the bed!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hey Alf, was this the same hair dryer that blew all your hair away.......
Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hey Alf, was this the same hair dryer that blew all your hair away.......
Hi: cpaharley2008... NO!!! I don't use a dryer for my hair...It's wash n wear. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote